Older Eyes --Bigger Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I use readers every day, My Mask has readers, but I am looking to buy my first basic computer (rec diving only). Have been looking at the Suunto and Mares Puck Pro. IDK witch one has the bigger display? Any other that you guys recommend?

I use an Oceanic Pro Plus 3. Nice big numbers, air integration (hose), easy to set-up and use, and all the info I will ever need.

I'm a few years older than you and also use readers and I do fine with the larger Suunto letters - not the D-series models though since those are watch sized - i'm referring to the larger Zoop, Vyper form factor models. I have a Gekko which is the previous Zoop model.Suunto's all have a more conservative algorithm also.

I've only seen a Puck once in person and it was being sold as possibly a watch replacement so I think they're all based on a smaller form factor than the larger Suunto's.

One I know nothing about except from reading an ad is the Mares Quad. It appears to be a larger - rectangular form factor. $350 on sale.
Mares Quad Wrist Computer

Capture.JPG

I'm very happy with my Oceanic Pro Plus 2.x. After my wife saw it....we have two. Large, easy to read, numbers, air integrated, and a back light bright enough to be usable. Nitrox is easy to set. It's also very easy to adjust my dive profile so I don't cut anyone else's dive short.

Battery life is excellent as well. 3 years and still going strong. 40-50 dives a year.

It's the only thing I bought that I have not upgraded since day 1.

Good luck,
Jay

despite being rather expensive, I would urge you to look at the Shearwater Perdix. The OC Tec mode doesn't have particularly large numbers since there is a lot of info to cram in there, but in Rec Nitrox mode the numbers are all quite big and the screen really makes them pop. You can also change the font color to fonts that are easier to see.

deco_stop.png

despite being rather expensive, I would urge you to look at the Shearwater Perdix. The OC Tec mode doesn't have particularly large numbers since there is a lot of info to cram in there, but in Rec Nitrox mode the numbers are all quite big and the screen really makes them pop. You can also change the font color to fonts that are easier to see.

View attachment 410231

It's one of the best things about the Perdix. I can read it with or without the reader lens in my mask.

+2 on the pro plus 3, my wife and both have, and really like them.

Galileo Luna or Sol is the easiest to read dive computer when set in the light mode configuration. It gives you 4 big numbers on a large screen, depth, dive time, PSI & no stop ( or remaining bottom time which ever is lowest ). BTW, it comes with a free transmitter until May 20.

+3 on the Oceanic Pro Plus computers. I use 1.5 readers normally but do not need any help with the Pro Plus, nice to be able to use any mask I choose.

shearwater Perdix or Petrel......cant beat it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom