Older Eyes --Bigger Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear reader's as well, +1.5, and have a Suunto Zoop. I have no problems reading it without any corrective lenses in the mask. It seems better to me when I remove the plastic face plate during the dive and just replace it when the day is done.

+1 for the Perdix (or save some money and get a used Petrel 1, if you don't mind it being bigger, with no AI or compass).

It's more expensive, but if the problem is seeing the display, Shearwater is a great solution. Also, you get an extremely durable, reliable and customizable computer, and the company has AWESOME customer support.

Change the battery yourself anywhere with a widely available AA. Pretty long battery life, especially if you use lithium.

If your mask has readers, why worry about the computer size? You should be able to read any computer on the market.

The Shearwater Perdix AI IS top dog these days. But, with the readers in my mask, I can still EASILY read my Atom 3.0.

I wear reader's as well, +1.5, and have a Suunto Zoop. I have no problems reading it without any corrective lenses in the mask. It seems better to me when I remove the plastic face plate during the dive and just replace it when the day is done.

+1 on the Suunto Zoop and +1.5 readers. My situation too. Works fine for me, but that's a good idea about removing the face plate...

I'm not disputing that by all accounts, the SW Perdix AI is an outstanding computer, the Op has said that they are looking for "first basic computer". From what I have read, the Perdix AI is not exactly a "basic" computer, and it might be out of the scope of what they are looking for.

If someone was looking for a first basic car, would you see a V10 Audi R8 as a good choice?

I'm not disputing that by all accounts, the SW Perdix AI is an outstanding computer, the Op has said that they are looking for "first basic computer". From what I have read, the Perdix AI is not exactly a "basic" computer, and it might be out of the scope of what they are looking for.

If someone was looking for a first basic car, would you see a V10 Audi R8 as a good choice?

A Perdix is no more likely to bend you around a tree than a Zoop. Totally different than comparing an R8 to a Corolla.

A Perdix is no more likely to bend you around a tree than a Zoop. Totally different than comparing an R8 to a Corolla.
Except that you are paying significantly more (2-3 times more) than computers that will meet the Op's needs with little benefit to what the Op has stated they are looking for.

For many people, the Perdix may very well be the best and perhaps only logical choice, but that is not the case for someone looking for a "first basic computer".

(And if driven within same driving limits, the R8 is no more dangerous than a Corolla. To adapt the analogy, then, if someone is looking for a basic first car, you wouldn't recommend a fully loaded Lincoln Navigator.)

Last edited:
Except that you are paying significantly more (2-3 times more) than computers that will meet the Op's needs with little benefit to what the Op has stated they are looking for.

For many people, the Perdix may very well be the best and perhaps only logical choice, but that is not the case for someone looking for a "first basic computer".

(And if driven within same driving limits, the R8 is no more dangerous than a Corolla. To adapt the analogy, then, if someone is looking for a basic first car, you wouldn't recommend a fully loaded Lincoln Navigator.)

I did not recommend to the OP to buy a Perdix. I just observed that your analogy doesn't work. Your updated analogy is more apt.

I also have observed that many people start off shopping for something very "basic". Some buy something basic and are perfectly happy with it. Others buy something basic and quickly (in diving terms, that would be the first year or first 50 dives) realize that what they bought is not really adequate to their needs and end up wishing they had bought something "better". And still others end up getting a bit of an education before they buy, determine that their needs will outstrip what the "basic" computer will provide long before the useful lifespan of that computer, and so they buy something "better" right up front. And still others will end up buying something "better" then later realize that they didn't need the extra features/capabilities/whatever that the better computer offered and may feel like the extra money spent was wasted. (of this last group, my anecdotal observations are that VERY few people who buy a Shearwater fall into that category)

Do you know which one of those types of people the OP will be?

Galileo Luna or Sol is the easiest to read dive computer when set in the light mode configuration. It gives you 4 big numbers on a large screen, depth, dive time, PSI & no stop ( or remaining bottom time which ever is lowest ). BTW, it comes with a free transmitter until May 20.
I'm going to disagree with you there. I replaced my Galileo Luna with a shearwater petrel specifically because petrel is quite a bit easier to read than the Galileo - especially in low light. I do like the Galileo but the display technology hasn't been updated in years and it's out of date.

Also, it's like $1,000.00. Several hundred more than the petrel, and way more than the $150.00 puck pro that @RTC'83 has been looking at.

+1 I dove with a guy that had a Galileo (don't know whether it was a Sol or Luna). We got to the B29 on the bottom in Lake Mead and the viz was something like 8'. He couldn't read his computer to tell what his tank pressure was, so he waved me over and showed his computer to me. I had no idea what he was trying to figure out, but I looked at his computer and I couldn't read it. The backlight was on. I tried reading it as is and by shining my light on it.

Computers like my Perdix and my Seabear H3 are VASTLY easier to read.

Back
Top Bottom