Upgrading Equipment To Scubapro - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread represents an excellent example of about 2000 recent similar threads on SB. Here’s the gist:

1. Bash Scubapro - check. Mention that the Hydros is a POS - Bonus point

2. Get a BPW - check. Mention DSS - Bonus point

3. Praise Shearwater - check

4. Identical cast of characters always offering identical advice - check

5. Yada yada yada - check

Lol

The straps cut back under my arms sharply, I don't like the way it feels and it's unstable feeling, crossed straps or not. I just don't like it and even tried it again a short time ago, not for me. I guess my point was that you don't have to dive like everyone else, if the OP likes the feel of a back inflate bc he can make it feel better for him and still have all of the bpw advantages.

What else do you have going on there? I mean, my chest runs about 48" and I have fairly sloped shoulders. Once I got my first one piece harness adjusted properly, it has worked really well for me. Easy to get on and off, yet very stable once the waist belt and crotch strap are all done up. When I first got it, it was not easy to get on/off and it seemed like I really needed a sternum strap to keep it all "on" properly. But, eventually I figured out that I just didn't have it adjusted like it should be. Mostly, the shoulder straps were too short/tight.

So, I'm just curious if you have something more unusual than just a 52" chest to make a one piece harness not work well for you. If it's personal and you don't care to answer, no worries. I don't mean to pry (though I realize this kinda makes it sound like I do). I'm just trying to learn about how Hogarthian harnesses fit different people and what physical characteristics really make it where they can't be made to work well or need some special configuration (e.g. shoulder straps that cross each other behind the neck before going over the shoulders).

Experimented with one and decided not to buy or own cheap bc like it. I have several of my friends who are highly experienced divers/instructors who owned it and had the same opinion.
Maybe Tobin should raise his prices. Maybe you can elaborate what experiments you ran on a metal plate, some 2" webbing, and an arguably very well made bladder, that had you and your experienced friends conclude that it is "cheap".

The straps cut back under my arms sharply, I don't like the way it feels and it's unstable feeling, crossed straps or not. I just don't like it and even tried it again a short time ago, not for me. I guess my point was that you don't have to dive like everyone else, if the OP likes the feel of a back inflate bc he can make it feel better for him and still have all of the bpw advantages.

how tall are you? I was unable to dive a one piece harness *52" chest at 6'4", 38" waist, but with 32" inseam* until I got a long pattern backplate that put all the straps where they should be and now have no real desire to go back to anything else

This thread represents an excellent example of about 2000 recent similar threads on SB. Here’s the gist:

so we are supposed to recommend overpriced gear that provides no benefit over lower priced pieces of gear from other manufacturers?

1. Is the hydros pro 2x as good as the DSS rig? It has to be to be worth twice as much?
2. OP mentioned essentially a backplate and wing with the Hydros, so what is wrong with mentioning a better alternative? Do we get bashed less if we mentioned the X-Tek line from Scubapro to "keep it in the family"?
3. OP asked about a comparably priced computer, so we offered a higher quality, higher featured computer that isn't that much more expensive. what's wrong with that?
4. go find more experienced people willing to contribute, preferably those that aren't heavily biased and skewed to certain manufacturers by financial factors, that's what the manufacturer subforums are for

6'5", 250 36" inseam. I use the long DSS plate and a DR wing, until the long plate I just didn't like a back plate but now I am 100% in the bpw camp, that doesn't mean I can't see some advantage of other stuff like the hydros and doesn't mean I'll ever buy one and having broken 3 sets of novas I'm not 100% sold on the material used on the hydros, time will tell but I have no reason to watch that clock.

I have been diving the Argonaut Kraken almost exclusively for the past several months so my shoulder straps are a few inches longer to allow the plate to ride lower for regulator performance, also dive coldish water most of the time, DSS plate and weight plates make weighting much better for me, I dive a bit heavy to keep more air in my suit to keep out of excessive squeeze which I find causes thigh cramps.

I do try different adjustments but usually end up back where I started, it works for me, I've tried your method and I don't like it, for me.
how tall are you? I was unable to dive a one piece harness *52" chest at 6'4", 38" waist, but with 32" inseam* until I got a long pattern backplate that put all the straps where they should be and now have no real desire to go back to anything else

6'5", 250 36" inseam. I use the long DSS plate and a DR wing, until the long plate I just didn't like a back plate but now I am 100% in the bpw camp, that doesn't mean I can't see some advantage of other stuff like the hydros and doesn't mean I'll ever buy one and having broken 3 sets of novas I'm not 100% sold on the material used on the hydros, time will tell but I have no reason to watch that clock.

I have been diving the Argonaut Kraken almost exclusively for the past several months so my shoulder straps are a few inches longer to allow the plate to ride lower for regulator performance, also dive coldish water most of the time, DSS plate and weight plates make weighting much better for me, I dive a bit heavy to keep more air in my suit to keep out of excessive squeeze which I find causes thigh cramps.

I do try different adjustments but usually end up back where I started, it works for me, I've tried your method and I don't like it, for me.

interesting. sounds like you went down the right path to try to make it work and nothing wrong with having to use a chest strap, especially if the plate is lowered to use the Kraken. Mine is a bit less comfortable when it is that low for me to use mine.

I think you forgot one:

6. LDS owners/employees bashing legitimate value options because widespread dissemination of this information cuts into their profits, since potential customers may choose options that are not offered in-house.

Please feel free to correct me by explaining to me how skinny the margins are on things like jacket bcd's vs bp&w's.

;-)

Last edited:
interesting. sounds like you went down the right path to try to make it work and nothing wrong with having to use a chest strap, especially if the plate is lowered to use the Kraken. Mine is a bit less comfortable when it is that low for me to use mine.

Since the Kraken has moved into my preferred reg position I have been thinking of trying a standard plate to see if it will work better with the low mounting point of the plate, also thinking of having a Thick SS version of my VDH plate made for cold water use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom