First DC - some clarification needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, the Veo 2 and the i300 are identical aside from the Oceanic also running DSAT. Someone else may know more than I do.

I have worn a wrist compass for many years for general navigation, quick and easy. One of my computers has an integrated compass, I don't use it. This topic likely depends on experience and preference. Some divers really like their integrated compass and have preferences.
Great.
So if the Veo 2 is identical to the i300 and even has on more feature and is cheaper then I would say
Oceanic Veo 2 > Aqua Lung i300

But I will try to find some more opinions and hope that someone else can also confirm or deny this.

Is an integrated compass something one should consider?

I prefer a traditional compass on wrist or, most preferred, on a small retractor. All of my dive computers I use personally have an integrated digital compass that would require a button press to bring on to screen. Most integrated dive computer integrated compasses I have seen and used aren't very usable. The Ratio computer iX3M computer I got recently is very usable underwater for sure but the price is much higher. This option will make your computer much, much more expensive than the ones you have been looking at so far and will be in a different higher category in terms of cost, features and user type.

I thought that the Oceanic Veo 2 was going to be eliminated from the Oceanic DC product line.
Veo 1 and Veo 3 were discontinuted, Veo 2 only one left from the lineup.

The Aqua Lung i100 looks very similar to the Veo 1, 2 gases instead of 1 is one difference. Not sure if the i100 is available in the US yet, not on their website

Last edited:
Although integrated compasses are greeting much better in quality, they're hard to display well on a wrist sized computer. I agree with having a separate compass.
But the "other" integration - air integration hasn't been discussed. I feel strongly that, especially for newer divers, air integration adds an element of safety. The computer will not only track your remaining bottom time based upon nitrogen loading, but also track your remaining dive time based upon air consumption, and generally display the shorter of the remaining times. I think it helps reduce task loading, especially when diving in the mid to shallow depth ranges, when you are often tank limited, rather than nitrogen limited.
Of course, with a wrist mount, you are now looking at adding a transmitter, which will add significant cost. I think it's worth it.

Although integrated compasses are greeting much better in quality, they're hard to display well on a wrist sized computer. I agree with having a separate compass.
But the "other" integration - air integration hasn't been discussed. I feel strongly that, especially for newer divers, air integration adds an element of safety. The computer will not only track your remaining bottom time based upon nitrogen loading, but also track your remaining dive time based upon air consumption, and generally display the shorter of the remaining times. I think it helps reduce task loading, especially when diving in the mid to shallow depth ranges, when you are often tank limited, rather than nitrogen limited.
Of course, with a wrist mount, you are now looking at adding a transmitter, which will add significant cost. I think it's worth it.
I like AI too, but, this increases the cost to far greater than the range listed by @chris_ger

I just put my 1000th dive on my 7 1/2 year old Oceanic VT3. This has been a really great computer

Great.
So if the Veo 2 is identical to the i300 and even has on more feature and is cheaper then I would say
Oceanic Veo 2 > Aqua Lung i300

But I will try to find some more opinions and hope that someone else can also confirm or deny this.

I think the only possible concern with Veo 2 is that Huish might decide to drop all support for "old" Oceanic products tomorrow -- but a) that's no different than most consumer electronics these days and b) the chances that you need support post-warranty on it are fairly slim.

I dive with a Leonardo and it's been perfectly OK for what I do so far, but back when I bought them it was the noticeably cheaper option with better features. Today the cheaper option is Mares, and note that its upload cable is $50 as opposed to everyone else's $100-ish. Everyone except Cressi has upgraded their offerings so Leonardo has the least bells and whistles now.

I never understood the Giotto: as Lisa said, is more than you need for basic recreational diving. But it's also less than you need for technical diving. It's neither here nor there for extra cost.

Zoop isn't much different from Leonardo/Puck, you just pay extra for the Suunto logo, and Geo 2 isn't much different from Veo except for smaller size that costs more.

So I'd say Veo 2 wins.

Thank you all.
I know that air integrated might be helpful but I am not willing / able to pay the price right now.

Just one last question: Do you think they will discontinue the Veo 2 and do you think there could be a problem with that?
I have seen that the Veo 2 came to the market a long time ago and the i300 (which looks almost identical) is fairly new.
Do you think I can have problems with the service or something if I buy the Veo 2? Because the Veo 2 seems to be my favorite right now.
Thank you all!

Thank you all.
I know that air integrated might be helpful but I am not willing / able to pay the price right now.

Just one last question: Do you think they will discontinue the Veo 2 and do you think there could be a problem with that?
I have seen that the Veo 2 came to the market a long time ago and the i300 (which looks almost identical) is fairly new.
Do you think I can have problems with the service or something if I buy the Veo 2? Because the Veo 2 seems to be my favorite right now.
Thank you all!

If they drop it now, you may have few years of support and spare parts. It will probably crap out just when they "EoS" it with no further support or spare parts so you will have to buy a new computer :)

BTW, I compared the i300 vs. the i100 features and it appears that the only differences are the i300 has a backlight and the i100 doesn't and the i300 can only do one nitrox mix when the i100 can do two. I don't see the need for two nitrox mixes in the i100 but see the need for the backlight for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom