GoPro as a diving camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlassGuy808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a GoPro 3+ that I’ve used for drone flying in the past and was wondering how many people are happy using one for diving? I’ve seen some cool underwater videos done on the GoPro..I have the red underwater filter, a floating handle and a sidekick LED Light to use with it.
Any tips or issues I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance!
Aloha, Alan

I have a GoPro 3+ that I’ve used for drone flying in the past and was wondering how many people are happy using one for diving? I’ve seen some cool underwater videos done on the GoPro..I have the red underwater filter, a floating handle and a sidekick LED Light to use with it.
Any tips or issues I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance!
Aloha, Alan
You mean using it for video or stills?

It is OK for video. Not the greatest low-light capability, and cannot focus closely for macro, but certainly OK. The Sidekick is minimal light; beyond a foot or so it is not helpful. You don't want to use the Sidekick AND the red filter; choose one or the other. Red filter for shallow scenery, Sidekick for closer, deeper stuff.

It is OK for video. Not the greatest low-light capability, and cannot focus closely for macro, but certainly OK. The Sidekick is minimal light; beyond a foot or so it is not helpful. You don't want to use the Sidekick AND the red filter; choose one or the other. Red filter for shallow scenery, Sidekick for closer, deeper stuff.
Thank you! I didn’t know that!

I don't know what a Sidekick is (I use a fake GoPro) but if it's a video light then like tursiops said, you don't want to use a light and red filter together because it will come out too red. Ask me how I know :wink:

Lots of divers use GoPros and similar cameras for underwater video. I'm not photographing for National Geographic so my cheap imitation camera is OK for my home (underwater) videos. I use a medium red filter in clear water from about 25-30 feet and down to about 50-60 feet before it loses it's effect. Any shallower than 25-30 feet it looks too red.

The first 4 photos were taken with a GoPro 5, the last with a GoPro3, all with Fish-lite 2400 Video lights and a Backscatter Macro lens. They are good for what I want, but of course cameras that let you control more features of light and aperture and speed could possibly do a better job. But I am happy. Filters are needed after 10 feet or so UNLESS you are using a light. I do NOT recommend a filter and light together as that will put in a lot of red. A light will only add color for about 10 feet from the camera. Like everything else, it depends on what you like. I prefer stills (easier to edit and color correct) and the GoPro is good for stills but better at video. Of course you can always pull a still from a video.

Attachments

• Cuttle Fish GOPR6643.Vivid (1).JPG
    Cuttle Fish GOPR6643.Vivid (1).JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 179
  • crab oragatang GOPR0273.Vivid.JPG
    crab oragatang GOPR0273.Vivid.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Nudi GOPR6188.Vivid.JPG
    Nudi GOPR6188.Vivid.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Clam Electric GOPR0373.Vivid.JPG
    Clam Electric GOPR0373.Vivid.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 179
  • GOPR0647 Coral and Brittle Star.JPG
    GOPR0647 Coral and Brittle Star.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 167
...and cannot focus closely for macro,
I don't know, I think the GoPro does pretty good on Macro, Note the pygmy seahorse is 1/3 the width of my index finger. Note the detail on the nudi. See above post too.

Attachments

• Pigmy Sea horse GOPR9982.JPG
    Pigmy Sea horse GOPR9982.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Sea Horse PygmyGOPR0036.Vivid.JPG
    Sea Horse PygmyGOPR0036.Vivid.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Nudi G1027213.VividShare.JPG
    Nudi G1027213.VividShare.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 161
The first 4 photos were taken with a GoPro 5, the last with a GoPro3, all with Fish-lite 2400 Video lights and a Backscatter Macro lens. They are good for what I want, but of course cameras that let you control more features of light and aperture and speed could possibly do a better job. But I am happy. Filters are needed after 10 feet or so UNLESS you are using a light. I do NOT recommend a filter and light together as that will put in a lot of red. A light will only add color for about 10 feet from the camera. Like everything else, it depends on what you like. I prefer stills (easier to edit and color correct) and the GoPro is good for stills but better at video. Of course you can always pull a still from a video.

Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for posting these!
I’m not much of a photographer but like to video my life adventures!
I’m glad to learn new things everyday, I totally would have used the filter and the lights The Who,e time. LOL

Back
Top Bottom