Advice to buy a diving computer for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have the computer, now get the manual and read it thoroughly. That seems to be the main issue with people and new dive computers - they don't understand fully what the computer is telling them with regards to ascent rates and deco (knowing what will be shown on screen if they do stray into deco).
I am going to suggest something slightly different. Like most manuals, this one is overwhelming. They have to include everything, and "everything" comes across as a confusing mass of information. Too much information is actually the equivalent of too little information. I suggest you instead make a list of critical questions, look for the answers, and write them down. That way you will have a new manual that makes it easier to look things up when you forget them later--as you will.

Here is a potential starter for your list:
  1. When I look at the computer during the dive, what information will I see?
  2. How can I use the dive planning feature to know my limits on the approaching dive?
  3. How does the computer tell me my ascent rate?
  4. How does the computer tell me how much NDL time I have remaining if I stay at my current depth?
  5. How does the computer tell me how much time I have left on a safety stop?
  6. If I violate my NDL and go into decompression, how does the computer guide me to a safe ascent?
  7. How to I access and scroll through the dive log?
  8. How do I set the nitrox percentage?

Thank you for the suggestions. It seems the Zagg screen for Vyper is not sold any more though
You can buy zagg protectors of various diameters for cheap on ebay and trim for your specific application.

I am going to suggest something slightly different. Like most manuals, this one is overwhelming. They have to include everything, and "everything" comes across as a confusing mass of information. Too much information is actually the equivalent of too little information. I suggest you instead make a list of critical questions, look for the answers, and write them down. That way you will have a new manual that makes it easier to look things up when you forget them later--as you will.

Here is a potential starter for your list:
  1. When I look at the computer during the dive, what information will I see?
  2. How can I use the dive planning feature to know my limits on the approaching dive?
  3. How does the computer tell me my ascent rate?
  4. How does the computer tell me how much NDL time I have remaining if I stay at my current depth?
  5. How does the computer tell me how much time I have left on a safety stop?
  6. If I violate my NDL and go into decompression, how does the computer guide me to a safe ascent?
  7. How to I access and scroll through the dive log?
  8. How do I set the nitrox percentage?
Good point about the information overload and I think you have covered the main points although I would change point 6 to the following:
6. If I violate my NDL and go into decompression,how do I know that on the computers screen and how does the computer guide me to a safe ascent?

There are also some variations that tend to get glossed over in comparisons. Some computers show ascent rate as two digits. Others show it by "bars" running up the side. Do you want to watch bars or numbers? Which works for your mind?

A few offer a depth alarm, i.e. they can tell you when you hit a certain depth, to nag you not to go deeper.

And then something that none of them discuss, is just how loud or wimpy the alarm actually is.

Kinda like the mattress business, no one wants you to look at the details, just buy one that looks pretty.

I had a cheaper computer (Cressi Leonardo)... quickly wanted a better/air integrated computer and spent the whole farm on a Shearwater Perdix AI. Do not regret it.

I've had a Vyper Air w/ transmitter and a Zoop backup....I just bought a Perdix today. Keep telling me this. :wink: I'm gonna sell the rest now and keep Perdix although I just bought a Veo 2 (used) to use as a backup.

In the meanwhile, I got the used Suunto Vyper and just as boulderjohn said the problem for a beginner is information overload. I read quickly the manual and I tested it a first time in the swimming pool. My impression as a beginner is the following.
Some of the parameters are very intuitive. Meters of depth, max depth, dive time, etc.
What it is not that obvious is (don't laugh) to make sure you are not in Nitrox mode while you are making a non-nitrox dive and to understand clearly when you go out of curve while in water and decompression time when you go out. I would not say it's not clear or it is difficult, just not immediate and requires reading again the manual. The rest (at least this is my impression) is so obvious that you understand it without reading the manual

Last edited:
My advice would be go for a new shearwater. That will be the last computer you will ever need.

In the meanwhile, I got the used Suunto Vyper and just as boulderjohn said the problem for a beginner is information overload. I read quickly the manual and I tested it a first time in the swimming pool. My impression as a beginner is the following.
Some of the parameters are very intuitive. Meters of depth, max depth, dive time, etc.
What it is not that obvious is (don't laugh) to make sure you are not in Nitrox mode while you are making a non-nitrox dive and to understand clearly when you go out of curve while in water and decompression time when you go out. I would not say it's not clear or it is difficult, just not immediate and requires reading again the manual. The rest (at least this is my impression) is so obvious that you understand it without reading the manual
One of the great features of the old Vyper is the simulator mode, where you can see the display on a theoretical dive, which is great if you want to see what the display will look like when you go into deco etc. Not many computers have this.
Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom