How to - buying used regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was very impressed by these. Total price about 300 euros performance equivalent to Apeks TXT 100. The retailer is in the town after the factory and this is why the price is so low. I want to buy these I’ll just wait for the feedback of my instructor

A new set of Apeks ATX40 is about €285 in Italy.

162797343684 in vendita | eBay

Unless the guts of that particular regulator are better known with another name. Scubatec does not have a regulator production line primarily to sell with their own name on them.

In theory yes, but in practice most service techs will not service your gear if they cannot obtain the manufacturers branded service kits and parts.

The Scuba industry, unlike motor vehicles, doesn't operate on the basis of OEM service parts.

A new set of Apeks ATX40 is about €285 in Italy.
162797343684 in vendita | eBay

Thank you, good catch (I found it at a slightly higher price)
To me it doesn't make sense to buy second hand ATX 50 at 160 euros + 80 euro check = 240 euros for second hand, while new is about 285 or even 300
It would make sense instead to buy ATX 100 at 190 + 80 = 270 euros because ATX 100 is much more expensive
And again, it would make sense to buy Scubatec only if considered equivalent to high end ATX / XTX models like the ATX 100, otherwise there is an advantage in buying new ATX 40 because it is more common and it would be easier to get assistance

Thank you, good catch (I found it at a slightly higher price)
To me it doesn't make sense to buy second hand ATX 50 at 160 euros + 80 euro check = 240 euros for second hand, while new is about 285 or even 300
It would make sense instead to buy ATX 100 at 190 + 80 = 270 euros because ATX 100 is much more expensive
And again, it would make sense to buy Scubatec only if considered equivalent to high end ATX / XTX models like the ATX 100, otherwise there is an advantage in buying new ATX 40 because it is more common and it would be easier to get assistance

Internally, all the Apeks 2nd Stages (except for the Flight and XL4) are the same and breathe equally well.

All you will get for your extra money on the 100 is an adjustment knob which is there to de-tune the regulator (i.e. Make it more difficult to breathe and reduce risk of free flow). The 100 does not breathe better than the 50, and potentially breathes worse if the adjustment knob is misused.

Very informative, thank you Umuntu. It's clear that based on what you said AXT40 as per your link are a much better choice than used ATX 100
Theoretically, an experienced buyer could get the used ATX 50 for 160, buy online a travel kit for about 30 eur and refurbish them . Total would be 160+30=190 and still the product would be 4 years old and not revised by a technician. Moreover, Apeks have a good second hand market, so new Apeks would increase the chances of selling them at a good price in case of upgrade to other equipment or ceased activity

Perhaps I could consider also other similar like Scubapro MK17 + SG620 both used and new or Mares Abyss

This I what I bought eventually 300 Eur
Scubatec proudly made in Garbagnate Milanese

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom