Washing a Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giffenk, what about the seams and branding and pretty patterns and bonded material?

I hope no one decides to put their wetsuit in a traditional top loading washing machine with an agitator. I’d not chance my wetsuits even in a front loader.

No to a top load with agitator. Yes to a front load on handwashing cycle.

That article buried the lead:

"Before we even begin to talk about the topic of wetsuits and washing machines, you need to be aware of the fact that you should actually avoid using washing machines if you can."

Not a fan of that article... it's more like an opinion piece. It makes statements like that, and then fails to back them up with any rationale whatsoever, then contradicts itself. Same article says later:

As long as you follow these simple steps, your wetsuit should be safe in your washing machine.

(the steps being avoiding detergent, hot water, and spin cycle)

Then it says again:
Remember that using a washing machine will affect your wetsuit in an adverse way, but sometimes you don’t really have a choice.

Talk about trying to have your cake and eat it too! Kinda funny, actually.

I've washed ours many times in our front loader (a little woolite, cold water, gentle setting) and they are in great condition. To each his own. So entertaining to see these myths propagated.

Giffenk, what about the seams and branding and pretty patterns and bonded material?
The seams on my suits have all been glued, taped & stitched (the tape is annoying as it peels off a few years later and sticks to my skin). I have had several arms on old suits rip the neoprene about a 1/4 inch away from the seam. The seam is stronger than the neoprene material.

A quick google of neoprene working temperature (LMGTFY) gives you a feeling for how tough it is (around -65F to 250F is common).

Branding & pretty patterns? What's that?

i rinse every dive and wash in the (non-agitator) machine after every trip with wetsuit shampoo and listerine in the bleach dispenser, then hang to dry.

There are several wetsuit “shampoos” available: O’neill, rip curl, McNett for example are available on Amazon.

When washing in a front load machine, do you rinse just one time or multiple times? One suit at a time or can you do two? How much woolite or baby shampoo do you use? My wife has a reaction to something in her suit (only 2-3 trips, new suit). I have tried soaking and using commercial wetsuit shampoo. We are sitting in a hotel right now getting ready to go home after a week in Bonaire. She has a rash all over her body from her wetsuit and I am thinking of trying the washing machine when we get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom