Washing a Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@jcm1911a1 is this the first time she's had a reaction to a suit? If this is the first time she's worn a wetsuit, it could well be a urine rash which is not all that uncommon. Otherwise it sounds like she's having an allergic reaction to something. I just use normal laundry detergent with mine and do them one at a time since they're bulky. Make sure to turn them inside out first and keep the zipper zipped

@jcm1911a1 is this the first time she's had a reaction to a suit? If this is the first time she's worn a wetsuit, it could well be a urine rash which is not all that uncommon. Otherwise it sounds like she's having an allergic reaction to something. I just use normal laundry detergent with mine and do them one at a time since they're bulky. Make sure to turn them inside out first and keep the zipper zipped
We’ve been diving about 10 years. Not the first time in a wetsuit, but this wetsuit was brand new and she has always broken out from this one. She does have a history of neoprene rash. We’ve been told (maybe by D.A.N??) that while neoprene should be hypoallergenic some people can have a reaction to the chemicals used to cure the neoprene. Thank you for the tip on washing!

I'd be more concerned with wrecking my washing machine than the wetsuit. Just soak the thing in with simple green once in a while and you'll be fine.

My wife has a reaction to something in her suit (only 2-3 trips, new suit). I have tried soaking and using commercial wetsuit shampoo. We are sitting in a hotel right now getting ready to go home after a week in Bonaire. She has a rash all over her body from her wetsuit and I am thinking of trying the washing machine when we get home.
I believe they call that diaper rash. I know most people pee in their wetsuits and they believe that everyone else does, but tell her to go one dive without peeing and see if she doesn't get a rash afterward.,

I have a two piece wetsuit that goes in the washing machine together with my booties and swim trunks after every dive trip. I use regular washing liquid but have, at times, added Dettol or Listerine. The wetsuit is about 16 months old (purchased April 2017) and has been in the washing machine 20 times. Both wetsuit and washing machine are fine and I have no excuse to go shopping to replace either.

Inside out, in the bath tub with about 6" of warm water. A light sprinkling of "sports wash" (no perfume/scents/colors/additives/enviro friendly stuff). walk around on it barefoot, invert, walk around some more and let it soak a few hours. Rinse and hang. I use a center hanger that folds the suit over (not holding it up by the shoulders. A day (or less when it is real dry that day) and turn the suit right side out. Finish drying.

I don't store anything in the garage except the tanks. Too hot and too many hydrocarbon fumes, but that is my garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom