Recent double hose reg training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've loaned out double hose regs, shown a few people how to dive them and recommend them freely to photographers. First dove one at age 7, they aren't rocket science... They also aren't current standard kit for a OW trained diver.

How does someone safely learn how to dive one these days?

Yesterday's photo for interest. No wetsuit for memory's sake, the water isn't as warm as it looks.
DSC_0063-01.jpeg

just like "back in the day". Couple good (old) books, and a couple good guys as resources. VDH has excellent resources (and people)...... Folks taught themselves back then.... I'm a youngster (51) and learned it on the internet, and asking folks....

Just dive it. Not that hard. No special training for DH when I started diving

Just dive it. Not that hard. No special training for DH when I started diving

I think the location of the can in relation to the divers lungs is more of a concern than a single hose 1st stage.

Also buddy breathing is a bit different with a DH. A few other differences depending on the DH type and brand. Not rocket science for sure.

Read "The Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving". That's what I did, until they came out with the "New Science" version. The only difference between a proper regulator and the single hose model is how to clear, how to hose recover, regulator position, and buddy breathing. Other than that, it's all about breathing under water.

I pretty much learned on my own, reading books and what I could find on the internet. Since then I have helped several others learn. With the increased activity diving DH regs the amount of knowledge and finding experienced divers who can mentor you is getting easier.
Besides the items listed above, no BC diving is also a huge difference. I get ask all the time "if you don't have a BC, how do you control your buoyancy"? Current dive training relies way too much on using the BC to control buoyancy as opposed to dialing your weighting in properly and using your knowledge of buoyancy to make adjustments to your weighing based on conditions. For example, going in slightly positive when wearing a wetsuit knowing it will compress at depth and lose buoyancy. Back when DIR became the rage on SB, I took the DIR-F class and while I don't subscribe to a lot of their ideas, the dead on buoyancy control they insist on was a huge help. I took what I learned there and applied it to no BC diving. With the introduction of the Phoenix and Kraken the need to learn no BC diving has been reduced but to really get the enjoyment out of the DH experience, no BC diving is a must IMO. On the up side, they provide a way to separate the need to go sans BC and learn how to dive a DH at the same time, you can concentrate on one then the other.....and it's keeps the scuba police off your back when diving on dive boats.

Fortunately I came along not long after mushroom non-return valves were added to the mouthpiece, which made clearing water out of the hoses simpler task. The books went into detail about rolling to clear water, but I rarely found it necessary. As I recall, the characteristic of raising the mouthpiece above the diaphragm wasn't explicitly taught in my first dive class or in the Navy. Come to think of it, obsessively watching Sea Hunt probably engrained it in me.

It as pretty obvious when playing around in a pool. By far, buddy breathing required the most practice.

@DerekR

Stated:
"Read "The Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving". That's what I did, until they came out with the "New Science" version."

Interesting comment ,,,,
it s noted that you are 59 years old "The Science of Skin & SCUBA" was published in 1957 with a revision in 1959- 61 & 59 years ago...you were not born when the first edition was published and a new born baby when the second revised edition was issued

The "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA" was produced in 1960 to about 1974 -58 & 44 years ago... you were one year old and when the New Science was revised and about 14 or so years old when it stopped being published

I am just a slow talking, slow thinking slow walking diver from SoCal perhaps you can expand on your education level that allowed you to read and comprehend these books at such a young age

I do certainly agree with this statement

"The only difference between a proper regulator and the single hose model is how to clear, how to hose recover, regulator position, and buddy breathing. Other than that, it's all about breathing under water. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the current atmosphere of specialty training for any and all aspect of diving one would expect a certain amount to training in proper double hose regulator use... so far all I note the training is read a 45 year old book or the traditional monkey see monkey do training, both have a certain amount of validity.

Some years ago the owner of VDH & his then prince charming were proponents of double hose regulator training. Unfortunately the prince charming knew very little about double hose regulator and certainly even less about effective double hose regulator training. After some lengthy discussions the subject was dropped into the bin of dive history and covered with the dust of time.

I suspect some day, but hope and pray never, some one some where using a double hose regulator that has been blessed by VDH will pop . The heirs will obtain attorney who will litigate against all that were involved.
It will be "interesting..."

SDM

Last edited:
@DerekR

Stated:
"Read "The Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving". That's what I did, until they came out with the "New Science" version."

Interesting comment ,,,,
it s noted that you are 59 years old "The Science of Skin & SCUBA" was published in 1957 with a revision in 1959- 61 & 59 years ago...you were not born when the first edition was published and a new born baby when the second revised edition was issued

The "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA" was produced in 1960 to about 1974 -58 & 44 years ago... you were one year old and when the New Science was revised and about 14 or so years old when it stopped being published

I am just a slow talking, slow thinking slow walking diver from SoCal perhaps you can expand on your education level that allowed you to read and comprehend these books at such a young age

<snip>

SDM

I'm pretty close to the same age, Sam, and it was the textbook for the YMCA OW course in 1972 when I was first certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom