Okay what spare parts to buy and bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't assume that just because your gear is new, it will work once you hit the water. You should have time the day you get there to do a shake out shore dive. I highly recommend you complete this quick shore dive as you can confirm your rig is working and you can also dial in your weights. Have fun and dive safe!

That's the plan
Because between new gear and doing heavy weights my body has changed
I figure my weight needs have changed

So the day we get there we should land in Cozumel about 12:30 after grabbing lunch we are going to do a shore dive and get my weights figured out and get familiar with all my gear

Don't assume that just because your gear is new, it will work once you hit the water. You should have time the day you get there to do a shake out shore dive. I highly recommend you complete this quick shore dive as you can confirm your rig is working and you can also dial in your weights. Have fun and dive safe!
Ditto....I always grab a tank and check out the families equipment. In pool or ocean....

Speaking of bringing things.....I assume you are bringing DAN family membership, and possibly, their basic medical coverage along with you?

I agree - I’ve seen brand new regs that don’t work. Especially prior to a trip, always test your gear when you get it back from service (or if new) if at all possible.

I used to bring far too many spares, incl LP and HP hoses... but never needed and added unnecessary weight or just more stuff to lug around.

Over the years things I have actually needed to replace (either for myself or others) for remote area ground based or LOB diving have been:

Mouthpiece and cable ties

Make sure it fits your reg!
Some early Scubapro or US Divers regs have smaller spigots than more modern regs, and putting a larger modern mouthpiece on an older reg will eventually leak despite a tight cable tie!

O-rings
HP hose to SPG (-003 90 Duro)
Tank K valve yoke (-014 90 Duro)
Tank K valve DIN/yoke insert (-112 90 Duro)
BC inflator hose inside QD connector (-011 70 Duro)
LP hose to second stage reg at swivel (-010 70 Duro)
LP hose to first stage reg body (-011 70 Duro)
HP hose to first stage reg body (-012 90 Duro)

BC Inflator module
I still carry an o-ring service kit and tool, but its far easier to just replace the whole module with a new one and service the other one at home after the trip
Trident Power Inflator module.jpg
Power inflator o-ring service kit and tool.jpg

BC inflator hose Schrader valves and tool
The valve can stick or leak and the -011 o-ring is hardly ever serviced, often chopped up and leaky.
Tricky to replace this o-ring without a dental pick or suitable probe... so do it before you leave home!
Schrader valve tool.jpg

SPG HP Spools
I still bring the -003 90 Duro o-rings (replaced for others many many times) but again its quicker and easier to replace the whole spool assembly... they come in three styles, the most common flanged one below:

SPG HP spool std.jpg

Last edited:
I'm amused at the people who claim they have been diving for 20 years and never had a gear failure. Maybe. But did any of the 10 people you were diving with have issues? If you dive even a little bit you are going to see stuff break, have buddies that are missing a critical components, or need to swap out parts like a second stage. How about a head ache or stuffy nose? No tip money?

So put together a nice portable tool / spares kit that will let you "Save a Dive", and not only your dives.

Cresent wrench to tighten or replace hoses and regs.
Full set of o-rings.
Batteries for your dive computers.
Zip ties, velcro strips, electrical tape.
Silicon Grease.
Gerber Multi-tool w/pliers.
$20 dollar bill.
Super Glue.
1st Stage Port Plugs.
Ibuprofen / Benadryl / Sudafed
USB Key / SD Card

Bring these items along and you will definitely save some dives before long.

Check your tools! Some items such as crescents wrenches May be confiscated if in your carryon!

definitely do a quick shore dive when you get there...that's one of the perks of staying there... tell Nestor R&C say to take you to Columbia shallows...he'll get it...

Back
Top Bottom