November Dive Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dghedric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have been diving for a few years. Both dive back home in MA, USA, but try to enjoy a tropical destination every year or two for a week. November 24 - December 1 of this year, we have the week off and would like to check out another local. Unfortunately from a price perspective and time restriction, I think the Caribbean is our only option. We can only go for the week and travel is from Massachusetts, so price and travel time to the Pacific would probably be prohibitive.

Problem is November seems to be rainy season a number of locals. Just looking for some insight in to where you guys have been or where you would recommend. Have been to St. Lucian, Cayman Brac, Jamaica, Cozumel, Curacao already... not that they are ruled out for reexploration. Would need to get 3+ dives a day. Happy to shore dive or boat dive. Do nitrox, but prefer strictly air. Micro or macro life is fine, wife is the photographer. Reef/Wall/Wreck all good. Not really done the muck dive thing, but I don't think that is what we are looking for this trip.

If you want more info, let me know.

Thanks
~Dan

Unless the airfare is too cost prohibitive for you, I would consider Bonaire. Even if the airfare is a bit high, you can make up for much of it with the very inexpensive cost for diving. It would give you a new place to visit with great diving and the weather should be about as good as it gets for the Caribbean at that time of year. I was there last December 2-10 and it couldn't have been better. If you decide that Bonaire is for you, let us know- myself and others here can certainly steer you in the right direction for accommodations, dive operators and food, based on what you are looking for.

Late November is the tail end of the hurricane season and that's good, but November can be windy and rainy in the Caribbean (or it can be gorgeous!) you never know until you are there.

I agree with @Trailboss123 that the ABC Islands below the hurricane belt are your best bet for good weather in November, although not guaranteed.

You haven't been to Bonaire yet and it is a place that almost all divers in the Western Hemisphere usually want to visit at least once. If you go to the Bonaire forum here on SB you will find lots of advice about places to stay and dive ops. Bonaire is mostly shore diving, although boat diving is definitely available. You have been to Curacao and it is similar, but it can be hard to find flights to Bonaire. You may have to stay overnight somewhere on your way back - so check that out before making a decision.

There's a lot of dive vacation sales being offered during the fall, have you ever considered a liveaboard?

You mentioned that you have been to Cayman Brac but if you are thinking of also trying Little Cayman, the Clearly Cayman resorts are offering an anniversary sale in November, December, January - see the link below, but I don't know if they still have availability at LCBR. Good luck!

FREE Diving & FREE Nitrox

We're going back to Cabo San Lucas for the second November in a row. The reason for going in November is that is when water temperatures are at their maximum. Last trip we did three dive days, once at Land's End, once up the Corridor, and the other out of La Paz. You are not going to see the lush corals and reefs of the Caribbean, but you will see some interesting structure and lots of fish. Area around the marina has lots of places to eat, and there are plenty of attractions for non-dive days.

We had Honduras high on the list, never been. Just a bit concerned by some stuff I have seen out of there... safety, not many mature fish due to over fishing, 50ft vis (I prefer the 100ft viz of most of the Caribbean)... but most important that it is rainy season. Don't want worse vis or cancelled boats or the 5 days of straight rain...

Have considered going to Little Cayman, further info appreciated if you have any. I'll check out the link as well.

Definitely going to do Bonaire, but right now have a tentative group trip there next fall (2019). Really want to do this with a group so that we can check out multiple sites, maybe rent a house or multi-bedroom apartment to save money, and have a dive buddy at any possible hour for any possible site (incase the wife doesn't want to do a particular site or isn't interested in a 5th dive for the day :p ).

For shore diving - there's St. Croix. A friend of a friend owns on the north side - he walks thru his neighbors yard and swims out to Cane Bay Wall. There's also the Frederickstad Pier plus I think about 4-5 other easy entry shore spots.
This is old but - Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: USVI, St. Croix, Caribbean

Check on hurricane recovery though - St Thomas/St John got hit hard last year. Even though it's a VI - it's farther from the other two - you can't really get there except by plane.

I've not been there but have dove around St Thomas, St John and throughout the BVI's. It's shallower diving, lots of fans, soft corals, some sharks, turtles. A step down from Cayman and not as good for small stuff as Bonaire/Curacao. The BVI's would be easy on air - nothing is much deeper than about 60-80' some of the signature dives 1/2 that. I only dive air,

Is that a favorite destination for you? A dive buddy and I are heading there in October and the choices of accommodations are overwhelming.

I have not been there. I've been looking at an FL destination, and that seems to have the prettiest water. I need to know more about the lion fish hunting there, though. I want to start spearing the little buggers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom