Fishhook in Finger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek: Ouch.

Yikes - glad you eventually go the medical attention you really needed - and more than one good lesson here.

So ... when we first started diving I got a nifty, spiffy, very expensive titanium dive knife and felt like Lara Croft for my first few dives ... and then stopped carrying it because it felt conspicuous and I worried it would go missing out of my checked bag. So that means that I'm diving without a cutting tool. I went to divegearexpress to see about the trilobite and am wondering what everyone likes the best. There are a few cutting tools to choose from. And how do you carry them? Do you hang it from your webbing on your BC? Obviously, not in a pocket. I have the Zeagle Zena and am wondering if a cutting tool would work well hanging on a D-ring? Love to hear opinions.

I’ve got mine attached to the strap on my dive computer. I picked that up from my OW instructor. I’ve since seen a few other divers that carry them like that.

Yikes - glad you eventually go the medical attention you really needed - and more than one good lesson here.

So ... when we first started diving I got a nifty, spiffy, very expensive titanium dive knife and felt like Lara Croft for my first few dives ... and then stopped carrying it because it felt conspicuous and I worried it would go missing out of my checked bag. So that means that I'm diving without a cutting tool. I went to divegearexpress to see about the trilobite and am wondering what everyone likes the best. There are a few cutting tools to choose from. And how do you carry them? Do you hang it from your webbing on your BC? Obviously, not in a pocket. I have the Zeagle Zena and am wondering if a cutting tool would work well hanging on a D-ring? Love to hear opinions.
Dive Gear Express says:

You have 3 sheath options for the EEZYCUT
  • Harness - nylon webbing designed to slide onto any 2 inch webbing - waist portion of harness
  • Flexi - neoprene with Velcro closure designed to wrap around 2 inch webbing - shoulder portion of harness
  • Wrist - nylon webbing designed to fit around your (up to 1.5 inches wide) gauge wrist strap
The Flexi might work on your shoulder, about where the dive flag is. Can you reach that point with either hand?
It also might go through the webbing just above the d-ring near the zipper; I can tell from pix of the Zena if that is open or not.
Hanging from a d-ring would be irritating after a while, I would think, and tempt you to remove it!

An alternative might be to carry TWO cutting tools, one on each side so one hand doesn't have to reach both of them. Something like a Tribolite and a pair of shears, for example.

What he said.

:eek: Ouch.

I’ve got mine attached to the strap on my dive computer. I picked that up from my OW instructor. I’ve since seen a few other divers that carry them like that.
How is that working out for you, to get at it with either hand?

Notice the critical difference between the hook position in your Fig 1
Hey, I've yanked 'em out when it's been at an angle. You may not like it, but it's an option for others.

1 on the straps of my Petrel 2 and one on (the front) of my crotch strap of my SMS100. Not familiar with the Zeagle Zena, but looking at pics, not a lot strap real estate. I think there is a Eezycut Trilobite with a sleave/holster intended for placement on a hose, but not sure how well that works.

Was live bait fishing offshore with a friend. We were using extra strong treble hooks. 2 -3 per bait. These are small but extremely hard to cut except in a shop. Landed a small 5-10 lb false albacore. Reached down to unhook it. My wiser, but ignored, self said maybe you should get the pliers. As I went to unhook, the fish flipped driving one of the other barbs from a different hook into my thumb way past the barb. I yelled. Buddy said what is wrong. I, attached by 4 inches of wire to the flopping fish, said hold this fish and do not let it move. We cut the wire and released the fish. Not sure why we did not do the line option. Maybe did not think of it. In any event the hook was driven in on the inside of the thumb and without much over it. I was afraid it would rip a big hole. So I pushed it through. Then bent the barb flat sine we could not cut if off and then pulled it back out. As I pushed it through I could feel the point scraping the thumb bone. Buddy commented I seemed totally calm. Reason why I was so pissed at my stupidity that the pain did not bother me. I felt like I deserved it. Put some antibiotic on it but of course it was a deep puncture wound. Did get it checked out a few hours later by a doctor. Cannot remember if he gave me any antibiotics. Small scar to add to my collection.

As an aside, we were diving at 18 palms in Bonaire by this floating dock put out for divers and other water sports. There were a dozen divers in the water when this guy walks out with a fishing pole intending to fish with a treble hook. All the divers on the surface were screaming at him and he just kept dismissing them. His second cast found the hook in his ear and many of us giggling at the instant karma he had received. I would've helped but I wasn't going to abandon my students to do so.

I love an great teacher!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom