To goodman or not to goodman, that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

addohm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been changing my kit up recently and something that stuck out in my mind is that I just can't see the appeal of a goodman handle. Can you guys sell me the idea of it? To me, I just think "big honkin piece of metal I have to hold? Or, cloth glove where my torch is just as easily removed but dont have to hold?" lol

OrcaTorch D620 Goodman Handle vs. Razor Hand Mount - Razor Go Side Mount

FIGHT!

A drawback of those cloth gloves or "soft goodmans" is that you can't easily slide it off your hand temporarily so you can use that hand for something else, such as checking your SPG, and then slide it back on when you're done.

A drawback of those cloth gloves or "soft goodmans" is that you can't easily slide it off your hand temporarily so you can use that hand for something else, such as checking your SPG, and then slide it back on when you're done.

Just read this over and over and over again. Because it is definitely the correct answer.

You shouldn't have to hold a Goodman Handle. It should be just snug enough that you have full manual dexterity with that hand without it slipping off.

Unfortunately, some people (like me) find that to be a little tough of the back of their hand. Particularly their second metacarpal.

Most people solve this by wearing gloves. Or in my wife's case, one glove.

I glue a little piece of 5mm neoprene in place on the inside of the handle as padding. Same solution, different application.

But the sales pitch:

Stronger lights. Better battery life. Better designed light cast. And, the biggy... having full manual dexterity while always having a light right there.

But the sales pitch:

Stronger lights. Better battery life. Better designed light cast. And, the biggy... having full manual dexterity while always having a light right there.

Non sequitur.

That said, I dive hard Goodman handles only.

I know people that love that razor system and I even tried it myself, just did not like it and always felt like the light was going to fall out. I switched back to my metal goodman and once you get it adjusted and yes wearing a glove helps even w/ the fingers cut out you really stop thinking about it.

To be contrarian:

I fought with my goodman handle during training (yes roger) and after. Being left-handed. It is particularly difficult to illuminate a tie-off with a light on a goodman handle while manipulating a reel. Fighting with the goodman handle digging into my metacarpal despite our best efforts to glue a piece of neoprene over it made the experience that much less pleasant. I also found myself with my hand in an unnatural position while finning to keep the primary pointed where it needed to be which led to cramping.

I kept at it for another couple of months until I had the chance to borrow a razor soft glove/helmet system (that you linked) with the movable mount and that was super nice. Comfortable, etc, Wow, a light on your head makes task work much easier. It still took two hands to transfer the light from the glove to the helmet and back (maybe I didn't learn the trick)

I went to a helmet with mounted lights that I can turn on and off to illuminate a task and a 240g 21700 based primary light on a glove that still gives me 2.5 hours of tested runtime. What joy. I feel like my dexterity with the softglove is better then what I had with a cramped hand from the goodman handle. I went from 6000lumens down to 1400, but do you really need 6000lumens?

There is no easy way to clip the primary in the glove off one handed.

What he said here.

And I'll add, that goodman handle you linked, although I've never seen one and have zero experience with it, looks like the type which comes on the Halcyon Focus/Flare lights, and they're crap, so consider that and if you go with goodman handle, get a different one maybe.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom