To goodman or not to goodman, that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been debating this for the past six months. I have always dove with a the standard hard goodman handle that came with my Orca. I like that I can mount cookies, arrows, and bolt snaps on it easily which makes dropping a marker easier for me than reaching for a pigtail to remove the marker.

However, while in Mexico this summer I started using a helmet with a Razor mount on it. I removed the goodman handle on my orca and just held the light and then mounted it to my helmet when I needed both hands for something. I was extremely skeptical of this arrangement at first, but ended up liking it. Once I got back to the States I went back to my goodman, but I have been considering picking up a helmet and a Razor mount system for it. I did not realize that they had a glove system too, but that is intriguing and I would like to try it.

I know most keep their markers on a pigtail in their pocket or on their chest D ring. I do not like having them in my pocket because they are harder to get to. I do not like them on my D ring because I do not like danglies. I have heard of some using their reg necklace. Not to derail this thread, but what're everyone's thoughts on using the necklace or does anyone have any different ideas?
Put the arrows and cookies back in your pocket.

They are literally designed to catch line. My brothers and sisters in Christ I promise you it will get snagged at the worst possible time. Imagine, for a moment, you’re doing a lost line *this is not a* drill and your search line gets caught up in your Goodman handle arrows or even worse some necklace thing. Now you’re a fly in a spider web.

Just put them away. If hard, practice more.

Put the arrows and cookies back in your pocket.

They are literally designed to catch line. My brothers and sisters in Christ I promise you it will get snagged at the worst possible time. Imagine, for a moment, you’re doing a lost line *this is not a* drill and your search line gets caught up in your Goodman handle arrows or even worse some necklace thing. Now you’re a fly in a spider web.

Just put them away. If hard, practice more.
You're not wrong. My goodman handle itself has become entangled before when running drills. Part of the solution is probably relocating my pockets to the front of my legs to be more easily reached. Diving sidemount, my tanks seem to lay right on top of my pockets making getting in and out of there a bit of a pain.

You're not wrong. My goodman handle itself has become entangled before when running drills. Part of the solution is probably relocating my pockets to the front of my legs to be more easily reached. Diving sidemount, my tanks seem to lay right on top of my pockets making getting in and out of there a bit of a pain.
Yea but now your pockets are adding extra profile and extra drag….

It’s ok if things are a little difficult. It gets better with practice.

This is the Cave Diving forum. In a cave, you want to keep your light beam pointed ahead almost all the time, so your teammates ahead of you can see it and don't think you have disappeared, and you want to avoid making erratic motions with it, so your teammates ahead don't erroneously think you are signaling to get their attention (or having convulsions). Most people use the other hand to grasp the light head and slip it off the hand that was holding it, then use that hand to do whatever it was that needed to be done, such as unclipping an SPG from a waist D-ring, reading it, and reclipping it. Then slip the light head back on the original hand.
I don't think this is any more or less jitter than what you'd see with a goodmann handle. Its a trivial difference. This is me, first take. I have the helmet mount but I never use it so I just simulated clipping off. Installing it onto a helmet would certainly introduce jitter but I don't mount this to my helmet. My helmet has fixed torches. Don't mind the doggo bone chompin' in the background.

I don't think this is any more or less jitter than what you'd see with a goodmann handle. Its a trivial difference.
Based on that video, I think I agree.

I have no dog in this race. The Razor thing is ... interesting.

Based on that video, I think I agree.

I have no dog in this race. The Razor thing is ... interesting.
Im not favoring one or the other. Im just trying to get a feel for what the majority of the community prefers and why. I still have my goodman handle but since I'm getting rid of eveything in the house, its just another thing I need to decide to keep or sell. lol

This is the Cave Diving forum. In a cave, you want to keep your light beam pointed ahead almost all the time, so your teammates ahead of you can see it and don't think you have disappeared, and you want to avoid making erratic motions with it, so your teammates ahead don't erroneously think you are signaling to get their attention (or having convulsions). Most people use the other hand to grasp the light head and slip it off the hand that was holding it, then use that hand to do whatever it was that needed to be done, such as unclipping an SPG from a waist D-ring, reading it, and reclipping it. Then slip the light head back on the original hand.
Fair enough ... I saw the thread "Goodman or not to Goodman" and came to have a look .... did not look that it was in the Cave Diving forum. My bad. (I have a hard enough time in a dry cave)

Its no different. If you're going to do something with your torch hand, you clip it off and work.
If you clip it off you can no longer use it to signal or acknowledge signals. That's why you switch it to the other hand.

If you clip it off you can no longer use it to signal or acknowledge signals. That's why you switch it to the other hand.
Clipping it off is perfectly fine and done all the time. For the various tasks where clipping it off is actually ideal, if not required, your buddy is ought to be paying attention to you and watching you.

Not to mention, there’s 2 types of clipping off your light, a temporary park, where you clip to the bungee loop at the but of your light, allows you to signal just fine.

Switching to the other hand would make some of these tasks just harder to perform, since the original hand would be through the Goodman handle and that allows you to use that hand, moving to the other hand means you’re now grabbing the body of the light, thus nullifying that hand.

Clipping it off is perfectly fine and done all the time. For the various tasks where clipping it off is actually ideal, if not required, your buddy is ought to be paying attention to you and watching you.

Also a vast majority of times when you clip it off it is during times that your teams knows you are doing tasks, like bottle drops, running lines, taking notes, etc. So ideally they should already be looking at you to complete your tasks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom