To goodman or not to goodman, that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you clip it off you can no longer use it to signal or acknowledge signals. That's why you switch it to the other hand.
Everyone and every configuration is different. Personally, if I'm clipping off to do work, I have a work light mounted to my helmet. If I'm clipping off while still finning, I turn on the torch mounted to my helmet which I can easily still communicate with. I doubt that you never clip off though :D

Also a vast majority of times when you clip it off it is during times that your teams knows you are doing tasks, like bottle drops, running lines, taking notes, etc. So ideally they should already be looking at you to complete your tasks.
I agree with you! At least in caving though, there are circumstances where turning around is not appropriate or possible. I do get that its a part of cave diving training for you to help your dive buddy with lights. Its the main reason I wear a helmet with specifically purposed lights\torches, secondary is to counter balance my negatively buoyant fins :D

I agree with you! At least in caving though, there are circumstances where turning around is not appropriate or possible. I do get that its a part of cave diving training for you to help your dive buddy with lights. Its the main reason I wear a helmet with specifically purposed lights\torches, secondary is to counter balance my negatively buoyant fins :D

I get that, I wear a little mask light for those occasions. It puts out a couple hundred lumens for like an hour, I click it on do the task, and click it off. How much I use depends on the buddy and the dive.

Why not try multiple approaches and see what works for you?

I use soft and hard goodman handles that come with DiveRite QRM system and LX20+. I also use a hard goodman handle with UWLD. The time it takes to remove the light from your hand so you can perform line work is negligible. Also, why hurry? Also, why hurry? If you're in an emergency, you're probably going to leave your reels/spools anyway.

Head lamps - use them when solo. Turn them off when diving with buddies, please.

The time it takes to remove the light from your hand so you can perform line work is negligible. Also, why hurry? Also, why hurry? If you're in an emergency, you're probably going to leave your reels/spools anyway.
Because there are other reasons to remove light from my hand, like left post shut off while signaling buddy with light in right hand.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom