AI transmitter damage when directly connected to 1st stage

Have you had damage to your AI transmitter directly connected to your 1st stage?

• No

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • Yes, please describe below

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What brand of transmitter?

It was a Shearwater transmitter. The damage wasn't serious. It blew the o-ring. I got a new o-ring and put it back on the first stage. Worked fine until I could move it to a short hose.

Yep... my tank tipped over on a boat and the transmitter of my Vyper Air was the first thing to hit the deck leaving a small crack in the transparent bottom part of the transmitter. I didn't notice until it died a couple of minutes into the dive. Sent it to Suunto, but it was fubar.

Having it on a short hose probably would have saved it.

Otoh, a buddy of mine had a broken hose the other day. Didn't blow, but since it looked more like a balloon rather than a hose, we decided to fix this before the dive :)

My wife an I have a combined 250 dives with transmitters directly mounted to the first stage without issue. They have seen a couple instances of people grabbing them to try to turn on a tank valve. (I dislike people touching my gear) My buddy recently borrowed one of mine after his computer flooded and I loaned him my Perdix (backup). At the end of diving when it was time to give me back the transmitter I went into my bag for a wrench and he handed me my transmitter, having unscrewed it by hand. For both of those reasons I don't tighten them beyond snug. I carry a backup transmitter and backup spg in my saveadive kit. Oh and a backup first stage. Everybody does that, right?

No damage. I do have a label printed and affixed to it that says "not a handle". The label has to be replaced about every 6 months.

The transmitter does look like an awful tempting handle. I can see why a DM might be inclined to grab one.

For both of those reasons I don't tighten them beyond snug
I keep mine hand tight as well. So far it hasn't been a problem. Probably close to 200 dives like that.

My wife an I have a combined 250 dives with transmitters directly mounted to the first stage without issue. They have seen a couple instances of people grabbing them to try to turn on a tank valve. (I dislike people touching my gear) My buddy recently borrowed one of mine after his computer flooded and I loaned him my Perdix (backup). At the end of diving when it was time to give me back the transmitter I went into my bag for a wrench and he handed me my transmitter, having unscrewed it by hand. For both of those reasons I don't tighten them beyond snug. I carry a backup transmitter and backup spg in my saveadive kit. Oh and a backup first stage. Everybody does that, right?

Yep! And a two backup second stages. But I still use a hose!

Cheers -

last summer on a charter dive boat I turned around to reach for something just as a wave hit, my tank fell over and hit hard, there was no transmitter on there but it just seems like the transmitter could have been the most fragile item if it were there as I now have it mounted.

last summer on a charter dive boat I turned around to reach for something just as a wave hit, my tank fell over and hit hard, there was no transmitter on there but it just seems like the transmitter could have been the most fragile item if it were there as I now have it mounted.
Bungee your tank. There are enough circumstances we may have no control over, others, we can. No excuse to have your tank tumble.

No damage to my rig to anyone else's rigs that I've seen (or even heard of) - 78 dives with 1 transmitter attached and 47 dives with 2 transmitters attached.

as @scubadada says, always bungee your tank (or put on the deck on its side). In 2017 I was in Roatan, Honduras and someone on my boat didn't secure their bcd/tank/reg. It fell over and smashed the plastic elbow that connects to the BCD's corrugated hose. I don't believe he was able to find a replacement during that trip. That would be a real bummer, to have brought your stuff and still ended up renting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom