AI transmitter damage when directly connected to 1st stage

Have you had damage to your AI transmitter directly connected to your 1st stage?

• No

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • Yes, please describe below

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe there should be a 3rd poll option?

"I have not, but I have personally witnessed someone else's damage while directly mounted to a 1st stage"? Of course, I think we want direct knowledge, not "my girlfriend's brother knows somebody who said they saw one get broken." But, if someone personally, directly saw it happen or the result, I'd still be curious to hear about it.

Only 21 responses so far but all in the "no damage" category. With all the posts I see on SB about people using a short hose, I really kind of expected at least ONE person to chime in here by now with "mine got damaged".
I thought about that but decided I only wanted personal experience. I would hope nearly every applicable person in the direct vs. short hose poll would also respond here. Interesting how a little over 40% of the respondents in the other poll say they use a short hose. We'll see. I would imagine anyone who had damage with a direct connection might switch or consider switching to a short hose

Dare I say... is the short hose a solution looking for a problem???
Might reduce dropped connectivity by moving the transmitter further away from the hunk of brass, and the hunk of brain - if so, that could the primary benefit, and the "handle effect" would be secondary.

I thought about that but decided I only wanted personal experience.

I agree. I just intended to note that, as it stands, if someone were on a boat and saw (with their own eyes) someone else's transmitter get damaged, there is no option for them in the current poll.

I guess it probably doesn't really matter, though. Certainly, they could post about it in the thread, even if they don't vote in the poll.

Might reduce dropped connectivity by moving the transmitter further away from the hunk of brass, and the hunk of brain - if so, that could the primary benefit, and the "handle effect" would be secondary.

I've always had my transmitter directly mounted on the 1st stage. I've used an Oceanic Atom 3.0, a Hollis TX-1, a Perdix AI, and a Teric with my transmitters. Never had any problems with dropouts. Have I ever noticed that my computer was showing "lost connection" or something like that? Yes. But, it has always been the case that if I happen to catch that out of the corner of my eye, or it says that in the first instant that I hold my computer up to read it, it goes away immediately and I get a current pressure reading. So, does it happen occasionally? Yes. Has it ever been a problem (for me)? No.

Additionally, I download and review all my dive data. The AI data will show a downspike (to 0) when it loses comms from the transmitter. I've never seen one in my data that was anything longer than just that, a very brief spike. I don't rely on buzzing or beeping to alert me that my tank pressure has dropped below my reserve, so if it drops out when I'm not looking at it, I wouldn't really care. But, all my downloaded data suggests to me that even if I did, it wouldn't be a problem.

In contrast, have I ever had a problem with an SPG? Yes, I bought a brand new one (with hose). A few dives after I started using it, it blew an O-ring on the spool. Fortunately, it was after I turned my gas on, but before I splashed. Bonus points: I had the correct O-ring with me to fix it. Dive saved.

I agree. I just intended to note that, as it stands, if someone were on a boat and saw (with their own eyes) someone else's transmitter get damaged, there is no option for them in the current poll.

I guess it probably doesn't really matter, though. Certainly, they could post about it in the thread, even if they don't vote in the poll.
They could still respond to the thread with their observation, hope they will.

Like @stuartv, I only have experience with PPS transmitters. I have downloaded all my more than 1200 dives, and have never had a drop in signal longer than a 30 second sampling period. On the rare occasion I notice loss of link, I simply raise my hand toward my head and that's it. Depending on where it's tucked, a short hose might even increase the loss of signal.

Hey guys I sorry I stopped that guy from lifting my gear by using my transmitter. Still, he may not have damaged it so my answer may have still been no. Again I'm sorry because I KNOW you are looking for a "YES" answer.

Cheers -

I've never had any damage but then I've never had the Tx connected directly to the 1st stage so can't really vote in the poll.

About 400 dives from 2003 to 2014 with Aladin Air X O2.
Directly mounted, no damage.
Very few and short connection failures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom