AI transmitter damage when directly connected to 1st stage

Have you had damage to your AI transmitter directly connected to your 1st stage?

• No

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • Yes, please describe below

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only 21 responses so far but all in the "no damage" category. With all the posts I see on SB about people using a short hose, I really kind of expected at least ONE person to chime in here by now with "mine got damaged".

I use a short hose. but not for preventing damage, I can just not fit the transmitter and the regulator hoses at the same time unless I use a hose for the transmitter.

Interesting thread, I am actually surprised someone hasn't dropped a tank and buggered one. I've probably done ~100 dives with mine now.

Following keenly.

I put no damage with either of my wife's two transmitters nor my two in roughly 600 dives per transmitter (so 2400 transmitter dives.

I'm a short hose guy.

However context is required as we all diver differently. Someone shore diving with their gear oaded out of a car may be at lower risk to someone on a commercial boat.

For me, the Majority of our diving is off a chartered Arabic dhow.

upload_2018-12-17_16-59-8.png

They are not set up as a dedicated dive boat, generally used as weekend charters with a small group of people cruising, snorkeling and lazing about in the (winter) sun

When we take the one pictured the deck is filled with the gear of 16 divers making upto 8 dives over the two days. With Scooters and deco bottles adding to the basic gear pile

upload_2018-12-17_17-1-7.png

While you take as much care as you can, anything you can do to minimize risk is better. These Dhow's don't ride well, so in a small swell they'll start rolling as will the gear. So for me the short hose is beneficial.

I don't particularly subscribe to the additional failure point position, I've had one extruded O ring in 5 years on the surface. But because of the climate here all my O rings get changed annually and my gear gets a good check (especially for leaks) each month which is in addition to out pre trip checks.

That said, if someone doesn't' feel the need for a short hose, then that's okay too.

On a final note, to rub salt into the wound of all you guys who've hung your gear up for the winter, this was our view last weekend motoring towards the 1st dive of the day. :)

upload_2018-12-17_17-12-26.png

I kind of expected this result, having never read of such damage here on ScubaBoard. To me, the
transmitter looks and feels like a pretty rugged little instrument.

To me, the
transmitter looks and feels like a pretty rugged little instrument.

It is - ish

Remember that the outer shell is mainly plastic, often held on by one screw. In normal use this is absolutely fine but if mishandled or subjected to a bang in the wrong place then it is easily damaged.

Only the individual diver can assess what risk is around for the type of diving they do. I personally prefer the protection of the short hose with teh added advantage I can quickly and easily "hot swap" transmitters between rigs. Other people may consider that of limited value and are more than happy with their conventional setup. That's all good too

I used to use a BP/W with a Single Tank Adapter (STA) at home. When I inflated my wing it didn't touch my first stage. I used this configuration when I first got an AI computer.

Recently, I used a wing with a built-in stabilizer for the tank. So there was no STA holding the tank a few centimetres from the wing. When I inflated the wing it pressed against the transmitter and broke it. I was at the pool testing out the new configuration.

So now I have the transmitter mounted on a 6 inch hose and the hose screwed into the first stage. Works fine. I never used the configuration where someone touched my gear until after I mounted it on a hose. So I don't know if someone might have used the transmitter as a handle.

I used to use a BP/W with a Single Tank Adapter (STA) at home. When I inflated my wing it didn't touch my first stage. I used this configuration when I first got an AI computer.

Recently, I used a wing with a built-in stabilizer for the tank. So there was no STA holding the tank a few centimetres from the wing. When I inflated the wing it pressed against the transmitter and broke it. I was at the pool testing out the new configuration.

So now I have the transmitter mounted on a 6 inch hose and the hose screwed into the first stage. Works fine. I never used the configuration where someone touched my gear until after I mounted it on a hose. So I don't know if someone might have used the transmitter as a handle.

What brand of transmitter?

A dive buddy's transmitter snapped off while bouncing around on the deck plates of an inflatable. I can't remember if it was a Scubapro or Suunto. It wasn't pressurized at the time so we didn't notice it until we were back on the beach. My mask was smashed on the same trip.

It started out pretty nice but the wind and swell came up in the afternoon. :(

300 dives with ai in last three years - no problems, no failures, no damage (I have used both suunto transmitters and shearwater) However, just recently one transmitter contacted boat when my tank fell from seat prior to being secured, no apparent damage to transmitter but following that I moved the shearwater transmitter to a short hose. Mostly to be like the cool kids. I still haven’t decided if it was a mistake, I feel like I added more failure points.

My favorite reg with transmitter is apex 200 because I feel the directly connected transmitter is between reg and tank. The apex 200s lower hp ports keep the transmitter protected so it cannot easily be contacted by anything. My scubapro mk25 has the short hose because it sticks out above the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom