AI transmitter damage when directly connected to 1st stage

Have you had damage to your AI transmitter directly connected to your 1st stage?

• No

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • Yes, please describe below

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as @scubadada says, always bungee your tank (or put on the deck on its side). In 2017 I was in Roatan, Honduras and someone on my boat didn't secure their bcd/tank/reg. It fell over and smashed the plastic elbow that connects to the BCD's corrugated hose. I don't believe he was able to find a replacement during that trip. That would be a real bummer, to have brought your stuff and still ended up renting.
On a Bonaire trip last fall, someone's unsecured rig fell over and hit another diver who was leaning over to zip his boots. It glanced off his head and left a nice gash that needed to be glued to close. He missed 2 days of diving due to someone's else's negligence (unintended, of course) - always secure your gear!

Bungee your tank. There are enough circumstances we may have no control over, others, we can. No excuse to have your tank tumble.

You are absolutely right, each diver is responsible for their own gear. On that day there were at least 2 other tanks that tumbled, it was a 26' boat drifting broadside to the waves on a choppy day, there were bungees that were of course used until it was time to suit up to enter the water. But you are correct, any person who allows their gear to get damaged will suffer the consequences. I was just trying to make the point that a transmitter attached directly to the first stage seems vulnerable. Sorry to create this tangent.

as @scubadada says, always bungee your tank (or put on the deck on its side). In 2017 I was in Roatan, Honduras and someone on my boat didn't secure their bcd/tank/reg. It fell over and smashed the plastic elbow that connects to the BCD's corrugated hose. I don't believe he was able to find a replacement during that trip. That would be a real bummer, to have brought your stuff and still ended up renting.

Yup. But I also maintain that it's the skipper of the boat's responsibility to make sure every thing is secure, especially when underway. It's a safety issue.

The boat crew can only do so much. As divers you need to be grown up and responsible. I have zero tolerance for Divers wanting valet service. If you can’t sort your out your own gear you shouldn’t be on my boat
Agreed - I believe in personal responsibility. If you can take action personally to avoid an issue, then you should and not push the responsibilities onto others.

I reckon the most you might get on a UK boat would be a shout "Everyone's gear secure? Right we're off".

The boat crew can only do so much. As divers you need to be grown up and responsible. I have zero tolerance for Divers wanting valet service. If you can’t sort your out your own gear you shouldn’t be on my boat
You have a boat. Damn I wish I had known. Now I have to come back for another visit.

You have a boat. Damn I wish I had known. Now I have to come back for another visit.
I don’t have one all to myself .... but do come back. I’ll take you to the top of the Musandam and get you playing in proper currents. I recommend peak summer time

On my own boat my tank has never fallen over, neither has anyone else's. And I don't have tank stations with bungees, like on a professional dive charter, my boat is a 23' Grady White set up for fishing. Guest divers stow their gear where I tell them(forward for trim reasons), but beyond that, if they have a problem it's their own problem. I'm a recreational diver but have a strict view that guest divers need to respect the flow and follow directions. People running the boat have enough to keep track of without monitoring other diver's gear. Anyone not cooperating will be asked to leave the boat immediately. :wink:

Nothing wrong with valet service

I dove a few days with Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman earlier this month. At the end of the first day, they asked if I wanted to leave my gear since I was doing a few days with them. I said “sure” and they rinsed it, stored it and had it set up on the boat for me when I arrived over the next few days.

It worked out great as it saved me from schlepping it back and forth to the condo in 7 Mile Beach. However, I still checked and adjusted my gear to my liking once on the boat .
... so, in my limited experience, valet service can be a good thing with the right OP, but does does not replace your personal responsibility to check your own gear either!

Back
Top Bottom