Making Steel Doubles as Buoyant as Possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for simplification, is there anywhere that has a listing of the buoyancy characteristics of specific doubles setups? There are pretty comprehensive listings of buoyancy characteristics for individual tanks, but I was just curious if someone had ever put together similar charts for doubles that would include the different backplates, bands, manifolds, regs, etc., for different sets of doubles. Or maybe there are just too many options to make that viable.

Just for simplification, is there anywhere that has a listing of the buoyancy characteristics of specific doubles setups? There are pretty comprehensive listings of buoyancy characteristics for individual tanks, but I was just curious if someone had ever put together similar charts for doubles that would include the different backplates, bands, manifolds, regs, etc., for different sets of doubles. Or maybe there are just too many options to make that viable.

This might be the closest you get...

The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

I in no way recommend free-flowing regs at depth. Ymmv.

LMAO. You win. Well played Sir. :rofl3:

upgrade to a Drysuit
I'm stealing this. "Upgrade to a drysuit".

And just FTR, plagiarism is the most sincere form of recognition.

You just plug your dinkle into the dongle and you’re good to go!
Only problem is, after the dive you face the challenge of ungluing the dongle from your dinkle.

Which isnt necessarily trivial and might well involve certain preparations which aren't completely mainstream (which they, albeitedly anectdotally and only based on my current observations in locker rooms, may well be for today's whippersnappers, but I'm digressing. Again).

Circular BCD you wear it under your crotch strap till you need it

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu3J01uZ3sNnaI8K5vCnvzdlz7vIekw_TBNLbySgY9unG3nWyDag.jpg

I spoke to my instructor and he told me the following:

1. I need redundant buoyancy if I am going to be diving steel doubles.
2. It doesn't have to be a dry suit.
3. He supports dual bladders in a wing.
4. He also supports carrying a lift bag.

And you could eliminate all of those problems if you just read #1 again. Aluminum tanks would solve all of your issues, and could later be used as stage bottles when you get a drysuit and continue your tech training.
We've all been there. Anyone who has been diving a lot of years has spent money on equipment they later regret. I wish I had the money back now that I wasted on a Dacor RIG BC, heavy lights, wetsuits, bad computers, etc. Buying two aluminum tanks will save you a lot of money in the long run.

And you could eliminate all of those problems if you just read #1 again. Aluminum tanks would solve all of your issues, and could later be used as stage bottles when you get a drysuit and continue your tech training.
We've all been there. Anyone who has been diving a lot of years has spent money on equipment they later regret. I wish I had the money back now that I wasted on a Dacor RIG BC, heavy lights, wetsuits, bad computers, etc. Buying two aluminum tanks will save you a lot of money in the long run.
You can lead a horse to water...

You can lead a horse to the water.... and drown it!

Back
Top Bottom