PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing with being taught how to clear your mask and recover the DV whilst neutrally buoyant isn't hard. Your not relearning anything, but learning properly first time.
I agree. With everything I know now, for sure it would have been the best. However, it still got me here. Also the road to learning the finesse of buoyancy was a helpful experience. Figuring out the exact weight after being overweighted and why it is important was also a great learning. I still remember the moment when I figured out that having the least amount of air in the bladder allowed me not to play with my BC every time I get 20ft deeper or shallower... So diving overweighted in the beginning was also helpful because it gave me a contrast and real life personal experience to why it is better to have it fine tuned.
Someone earlier in a thread mentioned that it is easy to critique the OW training coming from experience of several hundred or thousands dives. I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. I wish my OW taught me a perfect buoyancy and perfect trim and how to streamline my gear and all variations of gear and many other little things I learned thereafter. However, it didn’t. But it made me a safe diver and born an interest for continued self-learning and self-improvement and I am thankful for that. No hate to PADI or SSI from me...

What do you think I am, stupid?

Yikes! No, definitely not and I apologize If that’s how my post sounded. I did not intend to send you (or anybody else) that kind of message at all.

All the bashing aside, if discussions like these can make novice divers aware of the importance not to learn on your knees, every agency wins. And any future buddy as well.

But it's hard as a novice diver to judge instructor performance. In this thread I've seen many good suggestions which can be very valuable to novices (and agency independent).

A few years ago, the staff of SB considered creating a thread with things people could look for while choosing an OW course. As a staff member back then, I enthusiastically jumped in, and my immediate suggestion was for prospective students to ask if classes would be taught on the knees. That was summarily rejected by leadership. I withdrew participation,and the project died.

Yikes! No, definitely not and I apologize If that’s how my post sounded. I did not intend to send you (or anybody else) that kind of message at all.
That wasn't directed at you, it was directed at my textbook

PADI is PADI. A product for the masses. Nothing inherently bad or good.

tenor.gif

A few years ago, the staff of SB considered creating a thread with things people could look for while choosing an OW course. As a staff member back then, I enthusiastically jumped in, and my immediate suggestion was for prospective students to ask if classes would be taught on the knees. That was summarily rejected by leadership. I withdrew participation,and the project died.

I see often here on SB this point about never kneeling and doing all the training midwater.
I respect every opinion, but really I cannot understand what is "inherently wrong" doing part of the training kneeling.
During my first course, back in 1975, with Cmas, we made a lot of work kneeling, both freediving and with scuba systems. Followed by a lot of work neutrally buoyant.
The course was 6 months long, and the first three months were without breathing apparatus.
One very useful excercise was a 90" apnea while kneeling on the bottom of the pool, looking up, and slowly rotating the head for showing the instructor that you did not pass out...
In the second part of the course we switched to Scuba systems. Mostly the ARO, a CC pure oxygen rebreather.
The ARO requires to calibrate accurately the amount of oxygen in the counter lung so that you are perfectly neutrally buoyant.
We had to repeat all the excercises previously done holding your breath and kneeling on the bottom (for example removing the mask and evacuating it again) while instead floating midwater and breathing from the ARO.
I did find an excellwnt way of training, so I have nothing against first learning a skill while kneeling, and later on having to perform the same midwater.
On the other hand with modern ultra-short courses probably there is not enough time for doing such a slow progression, and jumping over entirely the part of course done without scuba system and kneeling makes it possible to keep it shorter.
So a kneeling-free course, for me, is just a time-saving shortcut.
I still prefer longer, more thorough training, adding the pieces of equipment one after the other.
This is how I trained my two sons, starting with breath-holding, then using a scuba OC system without BCD, and adding the BCD only at the end, after several years.
Ok, with adults you can run faster, but really I cannot see how in a single weekend it is possible to train and certify an OW diver. In a single weekend of course there is no time enough for first learning the skills while kneeling, and then while floating midwater. I agree that it is better to strip away the kneeling part than stripping away the floating part.
But in both cases this will be a too short training...
So the point for me is not kneeling vs floating, the point is making the course long enough or not.
When it is long enough, there will be proper space for performing the skill in different conditions (holding your breath or using a scuba system, on the bottom or midwater, kneeling or horizontal, neutrally buoyant in vertical or horizontal trim, etc.)

My commercial diver training must have been crap. We spent most of the time either kneeling or standing on the bottom and we were definitely overweighted.

I'll be stand-by diver on a comm course this week and may suggest to the supervisor that the students carry out all tasks NB.

Would be a complete CF, but fun to watch. :stirpot::):eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom