Unit doff/don question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wondered why you only had to do it on the surface at the checkouts......
Considering how poorly trained open water divers are, asking those who are in thick wetsuits and integrated weights (sometimes without weightbelts) to don/doff underwater is asking for an accident. You can pretty much guarantee there will be a number of students where gear stays down while they go up happen every year.

Considering how poorly trained open water divers are, asking those who are in thick wetsuits and integrated weights (sometimes without weightbelts) to don/doff underwater is asking for an accident. You can pretty much guarantee there will be a number of students where gear stays down while they go up happen every year.
Yes. Maybe this is the origin of the diver's question....

Yes. Maybe this is the origin of the diver's question....
Well, it is my opinion that it should be taught performed during open water dives. Otherwise forget it. Giving students the illusion that they will be able to perform a skill in the open water without having done it in open water (except easy stuff like free flowing reg - though I disagree with how I was taught in my IDC on this - I think students should do it in open water while ascending as they would if it actually occured) is setting students up for failure. Again my opinion. Not speaking for any agencies. See my signature for further clarification.

Well, it is my opinion that it should be taught performed during open water dives. Otherwise forget it. Giving students the illusion that they will be able to perform a skill in the open water without having done it in open water (except easy stuff like free flowing reg - though I disagree with how I was taught in my IDC on this - I think students should do it in open water while ascending as they would if it actually occured) is setting students up for failure. Again my opinion. Not speaking for any agencies. See my signature for further clarification.
Absolutely agree. As I said, I did wonder why the doff & don was only done at the surface on the checkout dives. My guess is it is way more likely you would take it off and hand it up to someone than have to doff & don at depth, but who knows. Also, I guess there is far less time spent in the water at the ocean than in the pool, so only those skills PADI feels most important are done in the ocean.
I take it you feel several other of the more complicated skills should also be done in OW? I tend to agree. Which ones?

Oh, and to answer the question, if Trace can do it, can't everybody? :p:D:wink::yeahbaby:

He had me do that in my solo diver class, but with some added complexity…

Drysuit, 104s, night, 50f water, no mask, tied up in cave line, not allowed to use cutting tools…

I wrestled with that for like 10min, finally got sorted, THUMBS. Upon surfacing he asked me, “So, what did you learn?”

“I’m NEVER diving solo in a drysuit at night in cold water with 104s again!!!

“Ok. You pass. That was the point.”

Since then it’s AL80s and a buddy bottle.

There obviously was a lot more to the class, but that was the final exam.

He always “let the water be the teacher”. Best teacher I ever worked with, with no offense to any of the other super high quality instructors I’ve been privileged to work with.

He always “let the water be the teacher”.

He shared some of those stories with me where he said exactly that to his students. Those who had him as an instructor were really lucky. While I never trained under him, he struck me as having a lot of great qualities that instructors should have: highly skilled, adaptable, and patient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom