1st wetsuit for this region.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've searched the forums.

I've read the forums till my eyes feel like they're bleeding.

If you want to participate in my thread please do, if you want to be a smart alec, please go somewhere else.

I'm looking to get the most mileage out of my first wetsuit purchase.

I will be diving Lake Rawlings in February and or March to get open water certified, then on to shallow reefs/wrecks whatever can be found off Virginia & North Carolina's coast's. Eventually diving deeper wrecks off shore, Lobster hunting and occasionally getting back to the Carribean.

I have a 3 mil shorty suit for warner waters or for layering.

Have seriously been considering a Mares Istherm 6.5 mm semi-dry first then later a Henderson 7/5 for "warmer" water dives.

Thanks for your serious thoughts and advice based on your local experiences.

Scott,

Like I mentioned before, I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 5mm two piece. That gives me 10 mm at my core. I've been in 56 degrees and was quite warm with that combination.

I went by Underwater Adventures yesterday to try to see the new Aqualuncg BC (just curious), but they didn't have one in the shop. I talked to Jim and they do NAUI, SSI, and PADI courses. I would suggest either the NAUI or SSI OW. Just my 2 psi. Do what you want. Jim will not steer you wrong on either the exposure suit or the class. Get certified, I'll go diving with you this spring or summer.

Scott, I am going to Grimsleys in suffolk, for my SSI right now. I would recommend him highly for the classes, but am having the same problem as you. I will be watching this thread, but if you find any good info pls let me know. There is a place in portsmouth that has Hendersons and a couple of others. Grimsleys has akona and apex. Try on a couple of suits for comfort and fit. My buddy did a confined in a lake in a 7mm 2 piece w/o a prob.

Hi Scott:

I know you are probably fired up about getting some gear, but I'd suggest you WAIT some until you NEED it. I say this because sometimes you just don't know what COULD happen. The class COULD get cancelled, you COULD change your mind, etc., etc. Waiting will also let you try some rental gear (not that I'm trying to make someone else money) to get some ideas about what you LIKE or DISLIKE.

That said, I dived many years in this area using a Henderson 3/16" (5 mm) farmer-john style wetsuit with the "step in" style (short legs) top. I also used a 1/8" (3 mm) hood/vest combination and 5 mm gloves. This combination kept me warm for about 1 HR in water temps down to about 50 degrees, less time when colder. Generally, during the "diving season" locally, bottom temps offshore are 50 degrees or more June through November. At least for me, I found using a 7 mm was just TOO uncomfortable, but that was in the era before "stetchy" material.

I now use the latest "super stretch" one piece 5 mm from ScubaPro and LIKE it. This suit takes 55+ degree temps for about 40 minutes with a regular hood and gloves. These days, I dive dry for anything less than 60 degrees, like I will this weekend.

BTW, I saw your post in the other thread about Rawlings this weekend and, SURE, if you want to go I'd be happy to meet you up there. I don't think they charge for non-divers during the winter. I'll PM you with details when I find something out...

Good Luck!

DennisW:
Scott,

Like I mentioned before, I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 5mm two piece. That gives me 10 mm at my core. I've been in 56 degrees and was quite warm with that combination.

I went by Underwater Adventures yesterday to try to see the new Aqualuncg BC (just curious), but they didn't have one in the shop. I talked to Jim and they do NAUI, SSI, and PADI courses. I would suggest either the NAUI or SSI OW. Just my 2 psi. Do what you want. Jim will not steer you wrong on either the exposure suit or the class. Get certified, I'll go diving with you this spring or summer.

Dennis,

Yeah I talked to Jim yesterday @ the shop. I bought the textbook for SSI OW course. Don't know when I'll be taking the class though as I have yet to get a wetsuit.

I do not want to take classes in a rented suit.

I don't want to use a rented reg either but he does offer new mouthpieces for students, and the reg is "assigned" to you for the class duration.

I will get certified before the spring season, just not sure when quite yet.

I'm pretty anal though and want my own equipment. I have some idea what I want really just picking brains while I save my pennies..... :D

doghouse:
Scott, I am going to Grimsleys in suffolk, for my SSI right now. I would recommend him highly for the classes, but am having the same problem as you. I will be watching this thread, but if you find any good info pls let me know. There is a place in portsmouth that has Hendersons and a couple of others. Grimsleys has akona and apex. Try on a couple of suits for comfort and fit. My buddy did a confined in a lake in a 7mm 2 piece w/o a prob.

Great, you let me know what you find out and I'll let you know what I find out. We'll work together!

Drewski:
Hi Scott:

I know you are probably fired up about getting some gear, but I'd suggest you WAIT some until you NEED it. I say this because sometimes you just don't know what COULD happen. The class COULD get cancelled, you COULD change your mind, etc., etc. Waiting will also let you try some rental gear (not that I'm trying to make someone else money) to get some ideas about what you LIKE or DISLIKE.

Underwater Adventures has 2 classes per month and they hold them in a YMCA and at Lake Rawlings so I know where I'll be at first. That helps me decide what wetsuit I'll need at least. I already have fins, booties, mask, snorkle and weight belt. Have to buy more lead once I find out what suit I get, only have enough to snorkle with now.

That said, I dived many years in this area using a Henderson 3/16" (5 mm) farmer-john style wetsuit with the "step in" style (short legs) top. I also used a 1/8" (3 mm) hood/vest combination and 5 mm gloves. This combination kept me warm for about 1 HR in water temps down to about 50 degrees, less time when colder. Generally, during the "diving season" locally, bottom temps offshore are 50 degrees or more June through November. At least for me, I found using a 7 mm was just TOO uncomfortable, but that was in the era before "stetchy" material.

I bought a Mares Isotherm 6.5 mm semi dry only because I found it for a decent price on the net and got great customer service from Craig @ Dive & Kayak in California. $300 shipped, I'm happy with that price. It's a demo suit, he said it's never seen water only fondled and tried on a few times. I struggle now with buying a 7mm, 7/5mm or a 5mm super stretch one piece suit for warmer diving. Hardware can wait......

I now use the latest "super stretch" one piece 5 mm from ScubaPro and LIKE it. This suit takes 55+ degree temps for about 40 minutes with a regular hood and gloves. These days, I dive dry for anything less than 60 degrees, like I will this weekend.

Dry suits are more than I can afford right now. I need hardware before I get a drysuit.

BTW, I saw your post in the other thread about Rawlings this weekend and, SURE, if you want to go I'd be happy to meet you up there. I don't think they charge for non-divers during the winter. I'll PM you with details when I find something out...

Good Luck!

Please do, I'd still like to go, will have to check with the wife on the timing.

The hood will make a big difference too.

I highly recommend the Henderson 7mm Gold Core. It appears to defy the laws of physics in keeping me warm.

Don,

Thanks for mentioning that. The hood and gloves are kind of a given in my mind and that may be why I continually fail to mention them.

Back
Top Bottom