2 second stages and a power inflator octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avengerki

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so right now I have a dual second stage rig what I am wondering is if I rent a bcd and it has one of the power inflator octo's would I remove a second stage so that I only have 2 regulators to use instead of three? Having a total of three regulators basically sounds great for redundancy but sucks for more failure points and sounds like an overkill at least in my mind.

You could remove you alternate but then what are you practiced in deploying? From a training standpoint the additional failure point many be the better of 2 evils.

I would try to avoid renting such a BC for a few reasons. 1st, they don't all use the same QD on the LP hose and that will mean running assorted hoses in and out of your first stage. 2nd, the second stage is somewhat tuned to the 1st stage. If you just plop that octo inflater on your first it may be prone to free flow or breathe like a rock.

More good reasons to get into your own BC ASAP.

Pete

If you are renting it for a day of diving don't bother. Another potential failure point is to keep undoing and doing a connection with an o ring

I don't recall seeing rental gear with a combo inflator; most people haven't used one & are trained on octo

For that reason I would stick with your octo if you did rent or borrow such a BC

The only reason I asked was the LDS I have been primarily using has BCD with and without the inflator octo, the inflator octo happens to be on the BCD I would prefer to rent. I have also noticed that just the regular inflator has different QD between the different rental gear also.

BTW my dive class was taught using both.

Last edited:
That's simple enough. If you are going to rent, ask the LDS to replace the inflator octo with a conventional inflator. That takes 5 minutes or less.

I don't recall seeing rental gear with a combo inflator; most people haven't used one & are trained on octo

For that reason I would stick with your octo if you did rent or borrow such a BC

Maybe it was a late 80s early 90s thing, but I was trained with rental gear using air 1s and air 2s. The dealer also sold Sherwood, Oceanic, US Divers, besides Scubapro, so it wasn't a that's all we have situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom