2017 Dive Stats and Highlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

57 dives in 2017.
All in Australia (between Queensland and New South Wales).

Highlights:
- Rescue course
- First time I dove with sharks (overwhelming!!)
- A lot of dives with whales all around
- Stunning moment when I surfaced under a terrible thunderstorm very far away from the boat all by myself

New year resolution:
- Tech 40 course
- Solo course
- Go on a liveaboard
- Visit the great barrier reef/all the islands around Australia (this will take a while)
- Finally try drysuit (?)

I was just looking back through my 2017 dive log and realized that I did quite a bit of diving for someone who doesn't dive for a living and still has to hold down a job to support his diving fetish. What did your 2017 dive year look like?

2017 Dive Stats = 196 dives
11 in Florida (Boynton/Jupiter/West Palm)
53 in Bonaire
50 in Cozumel
78 in the So Cal Channel Islands (Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands)
04 shore dives at Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach, CA

First time in forever that I did ZERO dives up in the Pacific Northwest. (That is a lowlight! I miss my wolf eels and GPO's)- Won't happen in 2018!

HIGHLIGHTS
1. Improved my underwater photography skills
2. Met and/or dived with some really great Scubaboarders for the first time. - You know who you are- @darook @uncfnp; @Christi just to name a few.
3. Got to work as a safety diver for Vice TV on an upcoming documentary of the Channel Islands
4. Got my first ever decent photo of a Spanish Shawl nudibranch (see below)
5. Saw my first ever Blue Dorid nudibranch and somehow got a 1/2 way decent picture of it -- (see below)
6. Got to know and connect with this online community to a much greater degree and am grateful for it. So many of you that I look forward to meeting some day-- such as: @MaxBottomtime , @KathyV ; @scubadada ; @drbill ; @Sam Miller III ; @The Chairman ; @Wookie

View attachment 443797

View attachment 443798

Stunning pictures Trailboss123. Congratulations on your achievements.
Only 75 dives for me. Dive season here in NY is limited unless you want to do drysuits and like cold weather.

Congratulations on everyone above with their achievements.

228 nonprofessonal (unprofessional???) dives, 474hrs.

Mix of ccr/OC. Cave/OW. Jacket/BpW/SM/monkey diving. Mexico/Canada/USA. 34°f/83°f. FFM/double hose/single hose. Skin/wetsuit/drysuit. Air/nitrox/trimix/O2. Bunch of shallow unlogged homebuild test dives and photography too.

Didn't log instructing as part the dive therapy program in the northern dive season. Those were 30-60 minutes, doing 5 to 9 dives per day... Wetsuit or dry. 38° to 64°. Rough math says another 250 dives.

Attached is the longest I've hiked in drysuit. Students loved the clear spring fed lake... The 95 minute trek hauling gear... Less so. Memories made.

CSC_1042-01.jpeg

Loving diving,
Cameron

-----edit-----
Added some forgotten dives on a borrowed prism 2.
-----------

Last edited:
216 personal dives, 461hrs.

Mix of ccr/OC. Cave/OW. Jacket/BpW/SM/monkey diving. Mexico/Canada/USA. 34°f/83°f. FFM/double hose/single hose. Skin/wetsuit/drysuit. Air/nitrox/trimix/O2.

Didn't log instructing as part the dive therapy program in the northern dive season. Those were 30-60 minutes, doing 5 to 9 dives per day... Wetsuit or dry. 38° to 64°. Rough math says another 250 dives.

Attached is the longest I've hiked in drysuit. Students loved the clear spring fed lake... The 95 minute trek hauling gear... Less so. Memories made.

View attachment 444319

Loving diving,
Cameron
Love it!

228 nonprofessonal (unprofessional???) dives, 474hrs.

Mix of ccr/OC. Cave/OW. Jacket/BpW/SM/monkey diving. Mexico/Canada/USA. 34°f/83°f. FFM/double hose/single hose. Skin/wetsuit/drysuit. Air/nitrox/trimix/O2. Bunch of shallow unlogged homebuild test dives and photography too.

View attachment 444319

Loving diving,
Cameron

-----edit-----
Added some forgotten dives on a borrowed prism 2.
-----------

Holy crap! You win the prize.

Okay, this thread looks like good fun. My logbook reveals 35 fun dives:

21 - Red Sea
2 - Florida panhandle
8 - Canada
2- North Carolina
2- Lake Jocassee, South Carolina boat dives

and countless* shallow shore dives in that lake and a few in the Florida springs to practice skills.

* I keep track of training dives in a separate "non-fun-dive" logbook that I don't have the stomach to look at at the moment.

Congratulations Trailboss123! What a phenomenal year. I managed to rack up a relatively measly 12 dives after being certified in October of 2017, all in the Puget Sound.

Seems like my diving days are on the decline ... after racking up nearly 4,000 dives in the previous 16 years, 2017 is the first year since getting OW certified that I had less than 100 dives, and only the third year I've had less than 200 dives. Life's been moving me in other directions, although I still love putting on my gear and submerging for an hour or so with just my camera and whatever I find under the water. In 2017 I got in only 76 dives ... all cold water. I did manage a couple mini-vacations on Vancouver Island, spending a few days each at Barkley Sound and Port Hardy.

So far in 2018 I've managed only two dives. But I do have a Socorros trip planned for May, so I will be able to get in some warm(er) water than what I'm used to ... and hopefully encounter some of the sea's larger animals.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Awesome thread!
78 this year.

4 - quarry
25 - Bahamas (Aqua Cat)
4 - Cozumel
19 - Panama City/Gulf Coast
26 - Morrison/Vortex Springs

Hope to break into triple digits this year

Back
Top Bottom