2017 Dive Stats and Highlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21 Dive for me. not too bad for being land-locked in the middle of nowhere!
2 Dives in Greece,
3 Ice Dive,
16 "local" dive.

Highlights.
Got another country under my belt,
Saved a life, and
Took my rescue right after that.
Saved a Life...please describe.

I started the year with 11 dives and ended with 104 dives. I both began (in January) and ended (November) at Mermet Springs, a quarry in far southern IL.

I dove 6 wrecks on Lake Michigan and 2 on Lake Huron, for a total of 11 Great Lakes dives. Finally got to dive the wrecks I've been reading about for 25 years.

I mostly dove at Haigh Quarry in IL, but also Pearl Lake (quarry) on the IL/WI border.

I did my SDI Advanced course (wreck, night, deep, nav), plus advanced buoyancy. Also did EFR and Rescue. Got my MSD.

My diving (and confidence) improved by leaps and bounds.

My project for this year is learning sidemount and perfecting frog.

I went from this (first wreck dive) in July to this last week (SM in a pool). Last pic was my favorite wreck dive, the Mary Alice B, in Lake Huron.

IMG_3313.jpg
GOPR0829.jpg
IMG_3390.jpg

I entered 2017 with a total of 4 dives after receiving my OW on 26 December of 2016. This was the same time I was diagnosed as being in remission as some of you may recall.

2017 Dives
2- Shaw's Cove-Laguna Beach
1- Newport Harbor Cleanup

I was unable to dive very much in 2017 but I did make a huge change with only 7 dives under my belt (I now have 20). I left everything and everyone behind to catch my dream of becoming a scuba instructor.
I am detailing this is another thread here so I won't rehash it but with the help of @RainPilot I moved to the United Arab Emirates to train with him under the RAID organization.

I moved here on 26 November and in about I month I logged 6 dives at Dibba Rock.

Some firsts for me:

-Used a BP/W with long hose config
-Diving a coral reef system
- Dove with the world record holder for deepest dive.
-Back roll off a boat
- saw a shark
- fell in love with parrotfish
- Met another SB member, @Searcaigh
- saw nudis and cuttlefish

I have started a tradition of diving on 26 December and met many new friends and dive buddies here in the UAE. Also took a few of my own pictures. I am very excited for all that is to come here in 2018 and hope to meet even more SB members along the way.

Attachments

• cuddle.jpg
    cuddle.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Stonefish at Dibba Rock.jpg
    Stonefish at Dibba Rock.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 27
Wow,some great numbers out there! Me, in a 12 month period 2017-18, we did COZ twice and Little Cayman for a total of 42. Dives....not too shabby I guess considering I have other hobbies that needs lov'n too :)

Wow,some great numbers out there! Me, in a 12 month period 2017-18, we did COZ twice and Little Cayman for a total of 42. Dives....not too shabby I guess considering I have other hobbies that needs lov'n too :)

There is no such thing. There is only diving and then off-season pursuits! Tsk, tsk, tsk. :wink:

My numbers are down slightly this year. I am traveling a lot less for business so no dives on business trips and due to some health issues with other family members I have not made my usual annual trip to the Keys. Bottom line:

37 dives. 14 at the NC coast. 21 in one of our two nearby quarries.

Hope to do more this year, both at the NC coast and in FL, and see the diveometer click over 500 during the year.

I was just looking back through my 2017 dive log and realized that I did quite a bit of diving for someone who doesn't dive for a living and still has to hold down a job to support his diving fetish. What did your 2017 dive year look like?

2017 Dive Stats = 196 dives
11 in Florida (Boynton/Jupiter/West Palm)
53 in Bonaire
50 in Cozumel
78 in the So Cal Channel Islands (Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands)
04 shore dives at Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach, CA

First time in forever that I did ZERO dives up in the Pacific Northwest. (That is a lowlight! I miss my wolf eels and GPO's)- Won't happen in 2018!

HIGHLIGHTS
1. Improved my underwater photography skills
2. Met and/or dived with some really great Scubaboarders for the first time. - You know who you are- @darook @uncfnp; @Christi just to name a few.
3. Got to work as a safety diver for Vice TV on an upcoming documentary of the Channel Islands
4. Got my first ever decent photo of a Spanish Shawl nudibranch (see below)
5. Saw my first ever Blue Dorid nudibranch and somehow got a 1/2 way decent picture of it -- (see below)
6. Got to know and connect with this online community to a much greater degree and am grateful for it. So many of you that I look forward to meeting some day-- such as: @MaxBottomtime , @KathyV ; @scubadada ; @drbill ; @Sam Miller III ; @The Chairman ; @Wookie

View attachment 443797

View attachment 443798

You made me looked back and reviewed my 2017 logbook and realized that I also broke my record number of dives in a year. :D

2017 Dive Stats = 109 dives
2 in Galapagos (the last 2 of 19 dives that were done on Jan 1, 2017)
6 in Xpu-Ha/Tulum, Mexico
5 in Flower Garden, Texas
5 in Jupiter, Florida
4 in Wilmington, North Carolina
6 in Channel Islands, California
7 in Al Jubail/Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
14 in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates
38 in Ambon/Raja Ampat/Bali, Indonesia
25 in Palau

HIGHLIGHTS
1. Diving in cenotes again with Natalie Gibb of Under The Jungle since 2011.
2. Met and dived with cool Scubaboarder @RainPilot for the first time.
3. Saw Zebra shark for the first time in Palau.

fIMG_5751.JPG
M1826148.JPG
M1829543.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom