2nd Stage finger tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that you shall avoid getting water in before your 1st stage, as it can freeze thru the orifice, the other thing and maybe I'm wrong, is that screwing the DIN back in will be difficult as you are trying to squeeze out the water between the tank valve and the 1st stage, plus your SPG will stop been reliable.

are you diving Yoke for tec diving ?

I was under the impression that you shall avoid getting water in before your 1st stage, as it can freeze thru the orifice, the other thing and maybe I'm wrong, is that screwing the DIN back in will be difficult as you are trying to squeeze out the water between the tank valve and the 1st stage, plus your SPG will stop been reliable.

are you diving Yoke for tec diving ?
freeze..unlikely to get a hydrostatic lock, screwing the din in is easy even in water, even on a din valve that doesn't have the little relief hole and the spg "may" get some water in it and over time stop being reliable..maybe, most of the time it will be fine (rental regs get dunked with the cap off all the time and believe it or not the spg's don't get water in them..it would take some effort actually or repeated attempts)

No I don't dive yoke for tech... lol

I've removed and replaced din 1st stages underwater, not that big of a deal to do.

My Instructor recommends that the hose attached to your 2nd stage to be finger tight, so in the event of a 2nd stage going south on you, you don't loose the gas in that tank and you can change exchange the 2nd stage on it, he actually had an insident while cave diving were one of his 2nd stages had a problem and he replaced/ exchanged that regulator.

I do follow his recomendation, but I see that the connector gets loose very often, do you guys carry a tool on you or are you checking constantly if the hose still finger tight ?

I've also seen this go the other way where an unsuspecting diver had the 2nd stage come completely off the hose during a dive. This caused an uncontrolled free flow while the hose flung around in a storm of bubbles.

Frankly, do your maintenance on the bench. If you are in a cave and regulator starts to free flow then you have to shut it down and abort the dive. This is the reason you have a isolation manifold and a backup.

I did see a regulator fly apart once on a deco bottle but it was one of those older titans with the recall on the DIN stem. It was fine during gearing up but it came loose when the diver turned the reg on at the deco stop. Just bad luck. He got through the deco by feathering the valve, which is probably what you would do more than 99% of the time.

R..

if you're doing a (rare) dive where you would need to get the second stage working again and can't complete your deco on a buddy's bottle, carry a wrench.
never finger tight

I always carry a small wrench or multi tool. You'd be surprised how much use they've gotten over the years.

I don't know about finger tight, but I have given the finger to several of my second stages, usually when I could not get them to stop free flowing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom