Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yikes!

Scuba_Jenny:

Don' worry Jenny I don't think there are too many of those in Florida (at least where you live)

Jenny I did my first 5k a few months back. The sense of accomplishment for just finishing the race was awesome, especially being a 60 year old fart who smoked for 40 years. We wanted to finish in 45 minutes (I know almost walking backwards at that pace) but we did it in 40.

We are running the 5k in Huntington Beach on Super Bowl Sunday and my target time is 35 minutes. I have been able to get up to 6 mile an hour sustained runs for over 1 1/2 miles lately (this after a 15 mile stationary bike ride) but still do a 1 minute walk interval during my training runs.

You can do it, just don't over do it. There are some great websites that have different training programs for people wanting to get into running. I don't have them handy since I am not using my home computer right now but just google and you will find all kinds of info.

good luck!!

Thanks everybody for all the support.
The race is on Super Bowl Sunday also. I will have to check out the websites. May be a little late for this race, but the next one I may be able to train for better!

Seriously Jenny,

A 5K is not that bad...you just gotta hang in there and drink lotsa grapefruit juice

Mmmm.. Grapefruit juice sounds wonderful!
Linda, there are rattlers around these parts, but not as many as in the less developed areas.

Got grapefruit. Will Squeeze! :)
Did a practice 5k today with a friend. He has been at this much much longer than I, and he went on another 3 miles.
After we are done, he asks if I want to do a half marathon in a year! 13 Miles!!!! Stoopid me, said Yes.

You'll work up to it, no problem

I did it! I ran the 5K!
I am so whooped right now and am about ready to take a nap, but wanted to do a "trip report" first.
My friend, his daughter and I arrived plenty early, got our runners packets and stretched, warmed up, stretched some more. As daylight appeared, one could see gray clouds and a light, intermentint rain fall. A cool front has come in, and with it cloudy skies and some light rain. This is probably a good thing, keeping it cooler for the athletes.
At the starting line, we were in the middle of the pack, not with those who are the speed demons, yet not with the walkers. My goal was first, to finish, second to do it in under 40 minutes, figuring that 38 minutes is a good goal.
At mile one, my time was 11.54, wow! A 12 minute mile! Not bad! People would pass me by, only to be walking later. Fathers and their kids running side by side. Mom's with jogging strollers passing me. It's Ok. I try to keep my pace. David and Ana are somewhere behind me. Ana at 10, is her first 5K. The pace setters were far ahead and that was ok. It is me against myself.
Mile two was my maintence run, just get through it, don't stop, don't walk, just keep going. Time was 25+ (don't remember the fraction), ok, a 13 min. mile. It's OK. I am doing it, that's all that matters.
I am turning the final turn to the finish line. I know it's 1/3 away. Just keep going, just keep going. There is a slight bend in the road and I can see the finish line. I pick it up and give it all I have left. I think I probably looked like spaghetti running, as my style, I am sure is not that of a swift, long lean, years of running, runner. I am a shorty with a body that is not designed for running. It's OK. I am running against myself. Chasing a dream of doing something that I have wanted to do my whole life. Somewhere along the way I believed it when somebody said "You can't run, try the shot put instead." Those voices filled my head in early morning jogs through darkened streets, yet I decided finally not to listen to those voices. Just put one foot in front of the other. Just keep going. The finish line is getting closer. I have started sprinting, giving it all I can give. Friends are shouting "c'mon Jenny. You can do it." I cross the line. 36:36. I beat my goal by one and a half minutes! Whoo Hoo! I am victorious. I have won. My dream has come true.
DSCF0001.jpg

I did my 12 min. average!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

DSCF0002.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom