60-68 degree water - semi-dry or drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I still can't make my mind up about either semi-dry or drysuit. water temps in sydney get to about 60 degrees min temp in the winter here. Currently using a 5mm henderson thermoprene and i am fine in 69 degrees and up but 68 and lower gets a bit cold but still fine. I have taken it to 60 degrees because of a cold water current that came in and i was cold but not shivering or anything. Haven't been cold on the surface intervals either unless its windy or something.

The flexibility of the drysuit is a turnoff for me and it being harder to maintain trim and buoyancy. But i want to make sure i make the right choice.

At 55 F, I've been happy in a 7 mm wet suit. By 50 F, things were cold but tolerable, and going colder became increasingly unpleasant. Of course, your experience may be different, depending on your natural insulation and other factors. I've since switched to a drysuit, and I'd probably use it now at any temperature below 65 or 70 F. On the plus side, if you ever think you might dive colder waters, you'd have the drysuit and be ready to go. On the minus side, they are pricey and require a brief learning curve.

Are you wearing a hood now? Maybe a hooded vest would work for you. I'm not sure where you are cold and how your suit fits but sometimes layering can give you the warmth where you need it with a minimal impact on your $$$ and weightbelt.

I used to wear a 2pc 3mil with 7mil hood, gloves and boots and I was perfectly fine in 62f water. 55f was tolerable for short periods but not really enjoyable.

Go with the hooded vest. Another 2-3mm over your torso isn't going to make you colder!

The wet/dry line for me is as dependent on the topside temps as much as the water temps. At 60F water on 70F days wet is so much easier and my body recovers enough during the SI the I don't get cold. Drop the air temp 20F, bring up the wind and the hassle of the dry suite is really worthwhile...

That said, if your thickest suite is 5MM a hooded vest as AD suggested gives you a lot of flexibility for the money and a good piece of gear to invest in.

I still can't make my mind up about either semi-dry or drysuit. water temps in sydney get to about 60 degrees min temp in the winter here. Currently using a 5mm henderson thermoprene and i am fine in 69 degrees and up but 68 and lower gets a bit cold but still fine. I have taken it to 60 degrees because of a cold water current that came in and i was cold but not shivering or anything. Haven't been cold on the surface intervals either unless its windy or something.

The flexibility of the drysuit is a turnoff for me and it being harder to maintain trim and buoyancy. But i want to make sure i make the right choice.

By the way, are you a single tank diver or doubles?

im a single tank. but i plan to move into doubles which means deco.

What is your concern about the "flexibility" of a dry suit? Laminate suits, for example, may be even more flexible than a 7mm wet suit or a 5mm with a 2mm hooded vest.

Me, in temps below about 75 F, I'm a dry suit diver.

Back
Top Bottom