7mm arctic.. Too Thick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cobra8472

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to bonaire in 2 days.

I recently purchased a Bare 7mm arctic wetsuit. My father did the same, however his is a Velocity 7/6mm.

Should we take these wetsuits with us? Keep in mind- I am THIN, as in really really thin (and tall :wink:). I get cold very easily- my father, not so much.

Will we be cookin'? Or just laughed at? :p

Both,

I dive there in a t-shirt/swimsuit..I see people in 1mil skins. Mostly for protection against stuff in the water.

The water must be 82-84 or warmer this time of year.

Maybe a 3mil if you chill easily.

Unless you chill exceptionally easily you will be uncomfortably hot in those suits. I have had my 7mm arctic into some Maine ponds in the summer (75F +-) and until I got below the thermocline I was hot to the extent of feeling stressed including sweating in my mask while underwater.

A well fit 2-3mm shorty would probably serve the purpose however full coverage is prudent for the sake of stings and scrapes.

Pete

My wife and I just arrived back from Bonaire today. In all we did 25 dives this last week. We both wore 1 mm wetsuits. Several of the others in our group wore 3 mm. My computer registered the temp as 81 to 82 degrees F. We had dives to 100 feet and never needed a heavier suit.

You will have a great time in Bonaire, make sure and take a camera.

Cobra8472:
Heading to bonaire in 2 days.

I recently purchased a Bare 7mm arctic wetsuit. My father did the same, however his is a Velocity 7/6mm.

Should we take these wetsuits with us? Keep in mind- I am THIN, as in really really thin (and tall :wink:). I get cold very easily- my father, not so much.

I dive in Bonaire in a 1 mm dive skin.

My 13 year old daughter and wife get chilled easily and they dove in a Bare Velocity 3 mm/2mm full suit. The felt fine both in Bonaire and in Curacao.

In short, you will be throughly cooked in a Bare 7mm Artic suit.

The local DMs may go up to 7mm in the winter but we find 3mm to be fine even for 5 or 6 hours in the water.

Thanks for the input. We'll leave the 7 mils at home.

Cobra8472:
Thanks for the input. We'll leave the 7 mils at home.

That will free up enough baggage weight to bring food for the week! Have a great time. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom