90 years old female diver. World record?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@DandyDon
Stated
"We dove with one ancient fellow once off of Marathon key I think it was. I was not rude enough to ask his age, but he was up there. He dove a homemade, wooden backplate, used a cutup 2½ gallon jug for a gear bag. Watched him in the water some, and he did breathe - rarely."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A sight to behold wooden backplate and a 2-1/2 gallon gear bag

Certainly you checked
What KIND, WHEN, Where by Who?did he receive his PADI certification ?

SDM

Certainly you checked
What KIND, WHEN, Where by Who?did he receive his PADI certification ?
Nah, we were too much in awe to say much. Just quietly admired him.

My mom will be 91 next week. She doesn't dive, but she loves to snorkel and go deep sea fishing. She will be with us on Cozumel in a couple of weeks; she has made at least one trip to Cozumel every year since 1977. We celebrated her 90th on Cozumel last year.

Not quite 90 but a shout out to Valerie Taylor at 84 still diving, still doing LOBs, still working tirelessly for ocean conservation and she should be in the list of famous pioneering divers for her work with Sharks and the way she has worked to turn the "bad name" Sharks were given after the film Jaws around. Her and Rons contribution to the movie was invaluable, her stories about being bitten and her overall zest for life and diving still are inspirational.....a true Aussie legend.

My mom turned 96 last February. She used to free dive for abalone and lobster off Avalon, Catalina Island in the 1930's. M

We dove with one ancient fellow once off of Marathon key I think it was. I was not rude enough to ask his age, but he was up there. He dove a homemade, wooden backplate, used a cutup 2½ gallon jug for a gear bag. Watched him in the water some, and he did breathe - rarely.
My mom turned 96 last February. She used to free dive for abalone and lobster off Avalon, Catalina Island in the 1930's. M

freediving in the 1930s

Id want to meet her and give her a hug but shed probably punch me in the eyeball lol. Seriously id love to meet her and listen to stories as with other people mentioned in this thread.

I love listening to people living a long life. No matter what they did they have stories I want to hear

Leni has an amazing story....

In the version I heard she faked her ID/lied about her age in order to get into OW course.

That wouldn't surprise me at all - the version Edi and an old German diver told me she faked a lot of things and told a lot of lies simply to stay alive. She certainly pioneered a lot of things in a very interesting life - her technical innovations while filming the Olympic Games really bear witness to her ingenuity and grit. I wonder if it hadn't been for her association with Hitler would she have been a worldwide name for her work in cinematography on land let alone below the surface.

Back
Top Bottom