A comment on moderation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I couple of days ago I started to respond to a comment directed at me in another thread. It took me a while to type out my response because of some distractions, but I finally got it done. I then posted it. Soon after that I got an angry PM from someone because I had posted in a closed thread. Apparently the thread was closed while I was typing, but because I am a moderator, the software accepted my post. I had no idea until I got the PM that the thread was closed. The person sending the PM was miffed because his attempt to post to the thread was thwarted by the closing, and he thought it unfair that I got to post and he didn't. After a prolonged exchange, I decided to remove the post. Because I felt the content of my post had some value, I decided to repeat it here.
Haha...
This is a good thread. I have a unique perspective. But I'll keep it to myself. Yes Boulderjohn, I understand that this provides no value (negative or positive) to the thread.

Since you brought that up, I will try to give some vague and generic context to the reference in the hope that it will help people understand the complex tole of the moderator.

As has been said, moderators are unpaid and only slightly trained dive enthusiasts who try to maintain the quality of this discussion forum. We have goals that include a friendly site in which people can talk about scuba in a relaxed atmosphere without feeling unduly attacked. Sometimes people do things that are blatantly against the ToS, and we act immediately by deleting a post or even banning the poster. Many of the problems are more in a gray area, though, and it is often hard to know what to do. When that happens, we usually have discussions in our private forum before acting. Sometimes a moderator acts and then the discussion determines that a different or further action might be more appropriate. It is not an easy job.

What happens the most, though, involves counseling. Yes, sometimes businesses get a little too much in your face about self-promotion, and sometimes they get reported for it. Blatant spam is taken care of immediately, but more often it is someone who just needs some advice. When that happens, that advice is given. Other problems also bring counseling. I recently moderated a situation in which a heated thread discussion had spilled over into private messages before one of them reported it. It was, frankly, a mess, and determining what to do led to some discussion among us before all parties were finally given some counseling about how to handle things better. (I think that went pretty well.) Some people don't like the counseling they receive, and they decide to make it public (well, at least their version of it). Of course, we are usually ethically constrained from giving the details of what we do, so it puts us at a disadvantage when that happens.

One of the concepts to consider when evaluating a post is the presence of malice. When we see people writing posts (or making reports) that seem to have no value other than to harm an individual's reputation, then malice is evident. That will usually call from some counseling about being a more respectful member of the community. Someone who feels true malice will not see it that way, though, and we will disagree. Usually that disagreement does not become public, but sometimes it does.[/quote]

Denial: not just another river in Egypt. The real problem with malice is that the person infected with it, just can't see it! When someone tells you that you are being malicious, treat it like a bubble check. Don't ask IF it's leaking, try and determine HOW it's leaking and put a stop to it. There is no need to silt out the place trying to defend your right to leak.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not. I'm going to assume its not.

... and sometimes malice is ascribed when none was intended.

I was recently involved in a thread where someone gave what I took to be well-intentioned advice. Someone else took it completely differently, and made accusations (in rather insulting manner) to the person giving the advice. Despite having it pointed out to him by both myself and another poster that he was taking it the wrong way, the insulted party refused to acknowledge that the advice wasn't being malicious at all ... he was just interpreting it that way.

The thread was reported, eventually moderated, and the insulting and off-topic language ... and responses to it ... were removed (thank you).

In this case, malice was asssumed ... and responded to ... where no malice was intended, or even evident to those of us who understood the context in which it was given. And the point being, we each have a choice ... we can assume the worst of people, or we can attempt to look at it from a different perspective and determine whether the problem lies in the post we're responding to or in our perception of what that person is actually trying to say.

As often as not, it'll turn out to be the latter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: gbf
For the record, I didn't PM him. I thought it was interesting you posted on that thread and then realized it was just a race condition and no harm was meant.

Still, I think it's a good idea to delete the post as closed should be closed. Still, I'm somewhat concerned that your post here could be seen as I was the one who PM'd you and then a carry on of the original (closed) thread.

And for the record, I know for a fact that at least one moderator (not naming names but he knows who he is) on this board has malice for another user on this board because the moderator (for some unknown reason) PM'd me such. I don't really care about this axe that needs grinding but it's an interesting observation when being moderated for having malice against someone else.

Look carefully at the definition of malice. It means doing something with an intent to harm.

It is very possible to be furious with others without doing anything about it. I am sure that just about everyone on ScubaBoard has people who really get them angry. I will flat out tell you right now that there are several individuals who really bug me.

But I try not to let that affect my actions. I try to ignore them for the most part. I don't write nasty things about them. I don't write things that serve no valid purpose other than to hurt that individual. Doing so would be exhibiting malice.

I think anyone who has followed SB closely for a number of years knows that there is a certain individual who used to post frequently with repeated half-truths and misleading statements in an attempt to discredit an organization. I took it upon myself to confront that person every time he did it, correcting those half-truths and misleading statements. You bet I was angry at him. But there was nothing malicious about what I did. I tried to serve a positive purpose by making those corrections. My intention was not to harm the poster; it was to serve to community by showing the truth.

If serving the community by showing the truth harms other posters in the process, is it malice or community service? I guess it depends on which side of the fence you happen to be standing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think anyone who has followed SB closely for a number of years knows that there is a certain individual who used to post frequently with repeated half-truths and misleading statements in an attempt to discredit an organization. I took it upon myself to confront that person every time he did it, correcting those half-truths and misleading statements. You bet I was angry at him. But there was nothing malicious about what I did. I tried to serve a positive purpose by making those corrections. My intention was not to harm the poster; it was to serve to community by showing the truth.

If serving the community be showing the truth harms other posters in the process, is it malice or community service? I guess it depends on which side of the fence you happen to be standing.

Exactly. The subtle difference is which side of the fence and whether you get promoted to be a mod or accused of being a cyber bully / troll / stalker.

IMO someone who takes it upon himself like that (myself included) should *NEVER* be a moderator.

Look carefully at the definition of malice. It means doing something with an intent to harm.

I disagree completely. Malice is not associated with doing ANYTHING at all!

You provided the link for the definition. There is no action implied with malice... Malice is simply a FEELING an attitude, a desire, an intention, a prejudice even...

Moderating based on the criteria of "MALICE" is really enforcing against people based on their thoughts or desires or their intentions....

Taking punative action against people for malice is synonymous with "mind police"....

I think moderation should be based on actions.. not thoughts...

desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.

I think moderation should be based on actions.. not thoughts...

Most of the time, the moderation on this site is based solely upon the words written. What else do we have?

We don't usually inspect motives, or validate posts. We simply have no interest in that. However, intent is a part of the equation.

However, when some users are habitual offenders and are repeatedly moderated, the leash is shortened, and the latitude of interpretation is lessened.

99.9% of the users on this site go on posting all of the time without ever being moderated. Most of the moderator efforts are truly focused to a small portion of users.

Back
Top Bottom