A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would hardly call the location a "tropical rainforrest".

Whether you would call it that or not, that is precisely what it is.

the last time I was in Cozumel, they needed the work. It should help boost the local economy even if the power doesnt go to the island community.........

It's not at all clear how many local jobs this would create vs. jobs for workers brought in from outside.

---------- Post Merged at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:22 PM ----------

There where on Cozumel would you like us to build the dirty coal fired generation plant?

The current small generating plant is on the south end of town. It's gas-burning - it makes no sense to ship coal from thousands of miles away. It's also unneeded, since CFE produces plenty of power on the mainland already.

The "6,000 football fields" of land is not the land area affected by the project. It's the amount of municipal land to be transferred from public ownership to private control. I have no idea if the number is accurate, but it's from public hearings as presented by the developer.

There where on Cozumel would you like us to build the dirty coal fired generation plant?

As somebody who works for a company that has Alt fuels, Hydro, Cogen, Solar, Wind......all these are generating electricity across North America. 3000 people to Operate? Complete BS. 6000 football fields? You really need to get some accurate information before playing chicken little. You are spready Propaganda and nothing more.

Very sorry, went through the numbers, the gvmnt is offering jobs to 300 ppl, sorry for that.

Have you read the links? I am not making this up, please read them, go through all pages, see the map of the area to be afected given by the company in charge of the project.

It´s not propaganda, why do you think they are building this new road? IMG_1035.jpgIMG_1036.JPGmexico power group.jpg

You read it on the Internet so it must be true.

you know friends,

I came here because I think it is important that ppl (especialy divers, and generally everybody who cares about nature) know what can happen to Cozumel.

Cozumel is a very fragile ecosistem that must be preserved, there are parts of this planet worth protecting, and IMO, Cozumel is one of those places.

I ask you this: try to refrain from making me and my aparent lack of credibility, my chickeness, my propaganda or what have you, the subject of this thread and focus on the links and traductions I posted, google for more, translate it if it´s in spanish, check it out yourselves.

---------- Post Merged at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:51 PM ----------

You read it on the Internet so it must be true.

oh, come on man.

I read it on actual papers and documents in front of our useless mayor. I´d be much obliged to you if you could lay off the sarcasm.

Heres the thing..
If the numbers dont add up people see it all as BS and wont care.
If we need more power, its better to make it renewable than fossil both on a global and a local scale

Heres the thing..
If we need more power, its better to make it renewable than fossil both on a global and a local scale

The numbers don´t add up because the whole project is BS... I totally agree with you! John Prock and his company are BS.

Yes, it is better to make renewable power instead of fossil.... but need to be very careful about the location to install this towers to make them efficient. We can not solve a problem making more damage than benefit.

Heres the thing..

Here is the thing Tiger,

I posted links because my numbers were not accurate off the top of my head, ok?

Now, have you read the links and translations I posted so my innacurate numbers would matter no more, and understand that I made a mistake and try to mend it by posting the links to the actual numbers.

Have you gone through it? if not, would you please?

oh, come on man.

I read it on actual papers and documents in front of our useless mayor. I´d be much obliged to you if you could lay off the sarcasm.

I don't care where you read it the wind farm that takes 300 people to operate is not fitting on the Island of Cozumel. The facts do not add up.

I don't care where you read it the wind farm that takes 300 people to operate is not fitting on the Island of Cozumel. The facts do not add up.

ok, Steve,

why would I be doing this? why would I be lying, or plainly coming here to spread figments of my imagination?

have you read the links? because, if you do, then you wont say "your numbers dont add up", because then those wont be my numbers anymore, they will be info that you actually read from the source, not from me.

or have you read the links and you are saying those links are BS?

can you puleeeeeeeezzze read the links and forget whtever inaccuracy I may have had?

pretty please, with sugar on top.

---------- Post Merged at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:01 PM ----------

BTW, what do you think of what mstevens and lauracozumeleno have to say about this? they´re saying prety much the same thing.

I does not matter who the numbers belong to. I apologize for calling them "your numbers". However, they are still far from accurate and what I would call BS. The Facebook page is Spanish so I lost interest very quickly. The reality is that this has been written and portrayed by fear mongers it seems. The numbers seem intended for shock and awe and not accuracy. Just my opinion.

---------- Post Merged at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:49 PM ----------

FTR I am not saying this is a good or a bad idea. I am biased because we own and operate several wind farms in Canada and the US. I am just saying the numbers are not true as have been stated by the OP....not his fault as they are not his numbers but false none the less

Back
Top Bottom