A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok man, now we undrstand each other.

Let me tell you, one of the issues is that their numbers, as you say, dont add up, I´m no expert, but according to them (and to you) the numbers are wrong. This makes everything very suspicious, because, there is something going on anyway, as you can see in the pic I posted, there is a big road being constructed on the other side.

I thought your comments were to me personaly.

Talk to you later, have to leave for a couple of hours.

Very sorry, went through the numbers, the gvmnt is offering jobs to 300 ppl, sorry for that.

Have you read the links? I am not making this up, please read them, go through all pages, see the map of the area to be afected given by the company in charge of the project.

It´s not propaganda, why do you think they are building this new road?View attachment 132357View attachment 132358View attachment 132359

I thought they were building the new road so that I could pass in my rental Jeep without hittin a family of four on a moped and a VW bug going 12 KPH

---------- Post Merged at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:58 AM ----------

The numbers don´t add up because the whole project is BS... I totally agree with you! John Prock and his company are BS.

Yes, it is better to make renewable power instead of fossil.... but need to be very careful about the location to install this towers to make them efficient. We can not solve a problem making more damage than benefit.

smarter people than us, have looked at the location choices.....They dont build these things for fun.

Smarter people than us have done a lot of things that were poorly thought out, or details omitted or overlooked.
Bottom Line. If you would like a windmill farm in either your back yard, or on the east coast of Cozumel, then obviously you support this, or own such farms. If you think that a windmill farm in your back yard or in Cozumel would not be what you would like, then fine. Either way, it is obvious it is being strongly considered, so maybe quit hacking on the OP for not having all the details right. I dont know the OP at all. But, I would fight rigorously a windmill farm being built right behind my house here on the Puget Sound, and feel that such a thing on the otherwise (mostly) pristine coastal area of Coz would greatly change not only the natural undeveloped beauty of it, but also the taking of the land is objectionable.
Not that my two bits means a tinkers damn anyway.

There´s a lot of oposition, it´s only me or a couple of nutjobs:

Podría llevarse a consulta pública el tema de las torres eólicas

Translation:

Public consultation could be the subject of wind turbines

The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) is still analyzing the environmental impact study submitted by the project promoters to install towers of power generation by wind, so the delegate in Quintana Roo of this dependence Gabriela Lima Laurent said that to follow the controversy over this issue, it could reach the public consultation to hear the views of Cozumel.

In brief visit to the municipality, the delegate of SEMARNAT in the State, Gabriela Lima Laurent said the environmental impact assessment or environmental impact statement (EIS) for the installation of a wind farm in the eastern part of Cozumel, is still in analysis so no one can say anything about it until it ends.

The federal official acknowledged that in recent weeks has led to a rejection of this project in many sectors of the population cozumeleña, so it made it clear that to follow the dispute over the construction of wind turbines, the case could reach the public consultation because they must seek the views of this island where you intend to do this project.

Lima Laurent said that in case of reaching the public consultation, many people seek Cozumel, especially of groups that oppose this project, present their views to be taken into account to determine whether or not to approve the park wind, where have huge power generators by wind vanes in the east of the island.

Finally, the delegate of SEMARNAT said about the controversy that has arisen in social networks and even public demonstrations "should not be taken lightly without the support of citizens are refusing to accept the project," although he clear that any manifestation of rejection shall not be grounds to influence the decision makers of the analysis of environmental impact assessment, will be announced shortly.

---------- Post Merged at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I thought they were building the new road so that I could pass in my rental Jeep without hittin a family of four on a moped and a VW bug going 12 KPH

mmmmm.... no.

---------- Post Merged at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:58 AM ----------

smarter people than us, have looked at the location choices.....They dont build these things for fun.

If by "smarter ppl" you mean money hungry weasels that dont give a damn about Cozumel, then you´re right.

Of course theres a lot of opposition. Everyone want electricity, everyone want it green and free and nobody want it in their back yard..
Common to said "everyones" is that they like to maximize the numbers and then they end up with fitional numbers..

Cozumel became a significant scuba destination around 1970. In 1970 the human population of Mexico was close to 50 million. It is now about 120 million. In 1970 the world population was about 3.8 billion. It is now more than 7 billion.

What the hell did you expect? We are a species unable to control our numbers. I was in college in the 60s when I became aware of the problem. Over the approximately 45 years since then I've watched us basically eating the planet into a wretched shadow of what it used to be, to feed, supply, amuse, and support the human population.

Despite what various deluded people may believe, we humans do not own this planet. Through force of numbers and the use of our clever monkey brains and our essentially animal lack of restraint we have managed to dispossess anything that occupies space we want, but it is utterly shameful to complain about the destruction of much of the once beautiful natural world when we are responsible for that destruction. Of course Cozumel will turn to crap. So will everything else, eventually.

Those of us who remember the world of a half century ago will tell you that the transformation of the world into a human cesspool is already well under way. It's very painful to go to places I knew decades ago and see what has happened to them. Humans are adaptable and capable of amazing self-deception. Young people basically accept the world into which they were born as the norm. I remember Mexico's east coast from along time ago. Compared to then, it's already crap. Pockets of beauty still exist around the world, but as the world's population moves to 10 billion, then the 15 or 20 billion, they will also be gone, just pictures in a book.

Cozumel became a significant scuba destination around 1970. In 1970 the human population of Mexico was close to 50 million. It is now about 120 million. In 1970 the world population was about 3.8 billion. It is now more than 7 billion.

What the hell did you expect? We are a species unable to control our numbers. I was in college in the 60s when I became aware of the problem. Over the approximately 45 years since then I've watched us basically eating the planet into a wretched shadow of what it used to be, to feed, supply, amuse, and support the human population.

Despite what various deluded people may believe, we humans do not own this planet. Through force of numbers and the use of our clever monkey brains and our essentially animal lack of restraint we have managed to dispossess anything that occupies space we want, but it is utterly shameful to complain about the destruction of much of the once beautiful natural world when we are responsible for that destruction. Of course Cozumel will turn to crap. So will everything else, eventually.

Those of us who remember the world of a half century ago will tell you that the transformation of the world into a human cesspool is already well under way. It's very painful to go to places I knew decades ago and see what has happened to them. Humans are adaptable and capable of amazing self-deception. Young people basically accept the world into which they were born as the norm. I remember Mexico's east coast from along time ago. Compared to then, it's already crap. Pockets of beauty still exist around the world, but as the world's population moves to 10 billion, then the 15 or 20 billion, they will also be gone, just pictures in a book.

Very good point.

I invite you to go through the links in other pages. We already have windmills, and have been accepted because up to now they´ve been placed where a lesser damage is done, one of those places is La Ventosa in Oaxaca, there were no complains, but as you said, we have less and less nature, and it is our fault, we do not know how to live with nature, we have to conquer it.

If you read through the links you´ll see that Cozumel is not the place to erect those mills (the energy is going to the mainland with no benefit to Cozumel),

thank you for your comment.

(the energy is going to the mainland with no benefit to Cozumel),

Who cares? Cozumel is part of Mexico, the mainland is part of Mexico. Christ, it's no wonder you guys are always being screwed, you have no nationalism, no patriotism, no love of country, in Mexico it's always about what's in it for me? Can I make a few bucks by exploiting the whale sharks? Your country had to mandate a whole set of rules to stop a Mexican free for all where you guys would have been offering rides on their backs if there was a buck to be made. Go to Cancun for a few hours and see how Mexicans will sell their souls if it means putting a buck in their own pocket at the expense of everything else. No wonder your local government is cashing in on this project and selling you out, it's the Mexican way, and you exemplify it everytime you expose your myopic mentality with "the energy is going to the mainland with no benefit to Cozumel", that's not the problem -- the problem is the damage to your water supply and eco system on Cozumel, it doesn't matter if they were planning on sending the electricity to Mars.

To prove the point - would you be cool with all of this if the electricity was staying on Cozumel? Of course you wouldn't, it wouldn't change a thing.

Who cares? Cozumel is part of Mexico, the mainland is part of Mexico. Christ, it's no wonder you guys are always being screwed, you have no nationalism, no patriotism, no love of country, in Mexico it's always about what's in it for me? Can I make a few bucks by exploiting the whale sharks? Your country had to mandate a whole set of rules to stop a Mexican free for all where you guys would have been offering rides on their backs if there was a buck to be made. Go to Cancun for a few hours and see how Mexicans will sell their souls if it means putting a buck in their own pocket at the expense of everything else. No wonder your local government is cashing in on this project and selling you out, it's the Mexican way, and you exemplify it everytime you expose your myopic mentality with "the energy is going to the mainland with no benefit to Cozumel", that's not the problem -- the problem is the damage to your water supply and eco system on Cozumel, it doesn't matter if they were planning on sending the electricity to Mars.

To prove the point - would you be cool with all of this if the electricity was staying on Cozumel? Of course you wouldn't, it wouldn't change a thing.

wow! I´m speechless Mike.

Thank you for your kind insight.

I prefer not to judge countries or nationalities, if only out of respect.

Alex

Nothing to be speechless about. Many people gave you great advice here. If you want wide support you shouldn't alienate the rest of your country by stressing how upset you are that Cozumel isn't even getting any of the electricity generated. What do you think that does for you?

Once again - other than posting this on scubaboard where nothing is going to come of it, what are you Mexicans going to actually do about this?

Back
Top Bottom