A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well man, not only mexicans, the american and european community are helping too.

Marine biologists and private and gvmnt institutions are doing research of the impact of these mills, this is to be presented to the SEMARNAT to show them facts that may work in our favor.

Two months ago a project in baja, called Cabo Pulmo, was cancelled because it was proven that it would have a negative impact in the environment.

So far this ia what we are doing.

I think Mike, maybe because of my fault, or for wharever reason, that you dislike me, it is your right, I have no problem with that.

What bothers me a bit is the generalization of the mexican way, as you put it.

I am an educated individual, that retired here at 46 to be a diving instructor because I´m wealthy anough that I can afford it. I teach diving because I love it, but my real income comes from real state that I own and rent. A life like that cannot be achieved by a myopic individual.

I really dont think your stereotyping is fair, but whatever.

And if possible, if you dont have a positive thing to say, please dont reply.

regards, Alex

Save me the search......how many turbines are the putting up?

If you don't support my ideas, don't respond. Yep, that's what we felt you wanted the whole time.

Why would you say or think I don't like you? Not everybody is going to agree with everything you say. That doesn't mean they don't like you. There obviously is nothing that will come from this thread, it's only purpose is a discussion of the topic, so why are you so against that happening. It seems like unless somebody agrees with what you post you want to shut them up. There are no solutions that will arrive due to this thread, the project won't be stopped due to this thread, even your own locals have posted that there is little chance of this project even happening. So if you don't want discussion, you should just start a blog.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please keep to the discussion of the issues brought up in the thread and refrain from commentary on members' personalities, motives, or likeability. You may attack ideas, but not individuals.

While there is a political element to any environmental topic, it's inappropriate to expand this particular discussion to a generalized condemnation of Mexico's governance, the patriotism of its citizenry, or unrelated regulatory topics.

Smarter people than us have done a lot of things that were poorly thought out, or details omitted or overlooked.
Bottom Line. If you would like a windmill farm in either your back yard, or on the east coast of Cozumel, then obviously you support this, or own such farms. If you think that a windmill farm in your back yard or in Cozumel would not be what you would like, then fine. Either way, it is obvious it is being strongly considered, so maybe quit hacking on the OP for not having all the details right. I dont know the OP at all. But, I would fight rigorously a windmill farm being built right behind my house here on the Puget Sound, and feel that such a thing on the otherwise (mostly) pristine coastal area of Coz would greatly change not only the natural undeveloped beauty of it, but also the taking of the land is objectionable.
Not that my two bits means a tinkers damn anyway.

hmmm, where does your power to Puget Sound come from? The word is called civilization....

Of course it is civilization. But should you find out that they are building a Power station hub, or going to run power lines over your own house, I doubt you respond in the same manner. We all acknowledge it has to happen, as long as it doesnt happen to you or me! Classic human response. That is my point. Kinda like where are they going to dump the next load of radioactive waste, or the next load of old battery cores. Nobody really cares as long as it is done somewhere else. So we pick our battles when they affect our little universe. And when someone chooses that battle, why dogpile them? Everyone gets their moment. I get that it has to happen, but I am against it being in Coz. Im sure there is some windswept peaks on the mainland where the wind is just as desirable.

If you don't support my ideas, don't respond. Yep, that's what we felt you wanted the whole time.

No my friend, that´s not what I wanted, but I didn´t want to hear prejudiced generalizations about my country and fellow citizens.

To question a whole population on its patriotism and stuff like that.... I think it´s uncalled for.

You have your problems too, but I will never critizise you as I really dont live there, and I can´t be a judge.

All countries have their problems. Let´s respect each other.

You say "that´s what we thought you wanted the whole time." Who is we, you and whom?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

---------- Post Merged at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:52 PM ----------

My neighbour just sent me this link, it´s in English, please read it.

http://pastebin.com/t2Jfsn8L

---------- Post Merged at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Of course it is civilization. But should you find out that they are building a Power station hub, or going to run power lines over your own house, I doubt you respond in the same manner. We all acknowledge it has to happen, as long as it doesnt happen to you or me! Classic human response. That is my point. Kinda like where are they going to dump the next load of radioactive waste, or the next load of old battery cores. Nobody really cares as long as it is done somewhere else. So we pick our battles when they affect our little universe. And when someone chooses that battle, why dogpile them? Everyone gets their moment. I get that it has to happen, but I am against it being in Coz. Im sure there is some windswept peaks on the mainland where the wind is just as desirable.

Thank you, please read this, http://pastebin.com/t2Jfsn8L

You've got it wrong Alex, I've been on your side the entire time. Just trying to help you to help yourself.

That last link you posted focuses almost entirely on the ecological impact of the project. If you read back over everything I've said, it's been that you need to focus on the ecological impact, don't waste your time on petty stuff like "cozumel doesn't even get the power" or any of the rest. This is where you derail yourselves. If you start focusing on that, that means you alienate others on the mainland to your cause. Focus on the ecological issues and even those on the main land who would benefit from the electricity will see the problems, the impact to your island and be sympathetic. But make it us vs them and you are isolating yourselves and eliminating those who could be your allies.

You've got it wrong Alex, I've been on your side the entire time. Just trying to help you to help yourself.

That last link you posted focuses almost entirely on the ecological impact of the project. If you read back over everything I've said, it's been that you need to focus on the ecological impact, don't waste your time on petty stuff like "cozumel doesn't even get the power" or any of the rest. This is where you derail yourselves. If you start focusing on that, that means you alienate others on the mainland to your cause. Focus on the ecological issues and even those on the main land who would benefit from the electricity will see the problems, the impact to your island and be sympathetic. But make it us vs them and you are isolating yourselves and eliminating those who could be your allies.

I´m happy to say that I agree 100% with you on this one.

Yes, one can go off topic without even knowing it.

Let me tell you mike, I´m not as close minded as I may have sound (It may be my fault), I´m all for green energy, as a matter of fact myself and some ppl are trying to change the idea of erceting windmill to solar panels, as these are far more kind to the environment, if this were the case, the population here wouldn´t object, but as you can see in that link, the threat to the ecosistem is very real with the mills.

So... why don´t we shake hands, and maybe have a couple dives next time you´re around?

In a very lighter note, what do you think of this pic of a blenny I took about two weeks ago, it was my second try at macro. 124.jpg

---------- Post Merged on August 16th, 2012 at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 15th, 2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

Big step:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=306676949429492&set=a.107045002726022.9955.100002615673578&type=1&theater

Semarnat Quintana Roo

PROJECT DISCLAIMS SEMARNAT "WIND FARM COZUMEL"

• Refuse permission for contravening the provisions of Articles 30, 35, section III, paragraphs a) and b) LGEEPA and 10, section I, 13, 44 and 45, section III of the REIA.

Semarnat reported that the Wind Farm Project Cozumel was rejected by the General Directorate of Environmental Impact and Risk due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies in his description that do not allow the dimensions, location and scope thereof.

The project is governed by the Local Ecological Program of the Municipality of Cozumel, Quintana Roo, which prohibits the installation of communication infrastructure and conduct electricity as well as those related to flora and fauna, which prohibit cutting, burning or removal natural vegetation.

The project would impact on the Ramsar site called 1921 Mangroves and Wetlands North of the Island of Cozumel, without showing the relationship of it with NOM-022-SEMARNAT-2003 and 60 B of the General Law on Wildlife.

The petitioner did not support the project that was not conducive to one or more species are declared as threatened or endangered, some of them included in the NOM-059-SEMARNAT-2010.

The project was denied because it contravenes the provisions of Articles 30, 35, section III, paragraphs a) and b) LGEEPA and 10, section I, 13, 44 and 45, section III of the REIA.

---------- Post Merged on August 16th, 2012 at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 15th, 2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

Save me the search......how many turbines are the putting up?

115 mills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom