A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand your concern about these being damaged from a rare untra-powerful hurricane. Seems as I remember from recent years, most of your hotels and businesses were substantially damaged by these very same storms. Why should a wind-turbine be any great loss compared the rest of structures on the island?

We dont want the oil spilling on the ground, it is very damaging spilling mineral oil on jungles, but I guess you already know that.

---------- Post Merged at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:21 PM ----------

ok guys,

I´d like to give you a big thanks for taking the time to answer, to those who empathize with me and those who doubt me.

Thank you very much my fellow divers for reading the links, and your opinions, and for enriching my english vocabulary with the word "nutter" and the acronym NIMBY :D

Take care,

your friend, Alex

---------- Post Merged at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Because itll fall down on the jungle (whos gonna be trashed by the same hurricane)?

No, no, we dont want the oil these things use to reduce friction to spill on the jungle.

Whatever dude, you are just acting like Chicken Little. I am done with your baseless fearmongering. You believe every lie told by the wacked-out enviros and refuse to use any logic in your thinking.

Whatever dude, you are just acting like Chicken Little. I am done with your baseless fearmongering. You believe every lie told by the wacked-out enviros and refuse to use any logic in your thinking.

X2 on that sentiment.
Alex has NO desire to listen to anyone.. his mind is closed... he is basing it all on emotions and not logic. Nor is he willing to consider any other options that he or his buds might have or use.
I am done as well..

Hi Alex,

About 25 years ago a big environmental group had this great idea to save a dearly loved spring fed swimming hole, Barton Springs. One of the ways they were going to do it was to build a dam upstream of the recharge zone of the aquifer feeding the spring.

Unfortunately, it happens to be where the family homestead is located. We got a good team together to attack from four different directions.

First, we attacked the underlying environmental support for the plan by pointing out that you shouldn't trash one area in order to save another.

Second, we attacked the assumption that the dam would work as promised. Turns out that another project on a drainage area with similar characteristics was rejected due to insufficient water flow (the reservoir would never fill).

Third, we pointed out that the land values were grossly out of line with reality and that the project would cost at a minimum 4x the estimate.

Fourth, we made sure that the politicians backing the plan would face serious embarrassment due to increased public awareness of attacks 1, 2 and 3.

They caved in 6 weeks. In that time we succeeded in shifting the debate from the preservation of Barton Springs to the flooding of 10 miles of a creek to a depth of 60'. Roughly the size of Town Lake in Austin.

It wasn't an accident the our plan of attack was multilayer-ed, well researched and calmly presented to the correct people who could influence the decision makers.

The moral of the story is that you have to attack the under pinning of the proposal and clearly demonstrate why it will not work.

ggunn;6446345 But anyway:
Good point! The developer is John Prock, CEO of Mexico Power Group based in Tijuana Mexico, (American company) related to Cannon Power Group based in San Diego, CA. yes! I believe he is a DREAMER. This wind towers will not be placed in Cozumel. A student can do a better project with less mistakes than the one he presented to Mexican authority

here an interview:John Prock, México Power Group, Entrevista, Business News Americas
He has stated that the project is ready (with CAD drawings and all).

We are just placing an "ALERT" to everybody interested in conservation of the environment that this project is on the table. The "only" issue pending on this project is the PUBLIC RESIDENTS CONSULT, that the developer tried to hide until it is too late to complaint legally. BUT guess what... we are still on time, and we have placed the formal complaint.
Cozumel residents have a compromise to inform about this since there´s some endemic species in danger of extintion (among with the other water, noise, hurricane, etc. reasons discussed). To protect environment it is enough to be citizen of the world just as some of us defending the arctic with Green Peace org. Protecting the environment is not "romantic" or heart related, it is a technical money -economics related reality mater that will affect us all sooner or later. Divers are more "sensitive" to this kind of situation because of our nature and environment knowledge.

For more information about the project, You can reach Mr. Prock (I have, but have not receive an answer yet) in the "contact us" section of his web page :: México Power Group :: - Inicio or Cannon Power - Cannon Power Group

Thank you anyway for taking the time to read this thread. :wink: .... by the way, I have not found ANY wind mill farm in the hurricane corridor Atlantic or Pacific, anywhere in the world.

X2 on that sentiment.
Alex has NO desire to listen to anyone.. his mind is closed... he is basing it all on emotions and not logic. Nor is he willing to consider any other options that he or his buds might have or use.
I am done as well..

No emotions anymore ok? can you check the links please?

Here is an inpact study by SEMARNAT

http://sinat.semarnat.gob.mx/dgiraDocs/documentos/qroo/estudios/2012/23QR2012E0010.pdf

Some of the mills will be 94 meters high, some will be 101 according to the reports of ambience impact. The foundations will get deep enough to reach the water. That is the only water we have.

3000 aditional ppl will have to come here to operate them.

Cozumel has only one little road in the est side, so a big one is being built for the transportation of the mills, and aditional roads will be needed to reach what they call sub stations and storage facilities for oil and whatever parts the mills need.

It´s not the windmills in themselves that will take up 6000 football fields, it´s the whole project, roads, warehouses etc.

The power wont be for Cozumel, as in Bonaire, it is for the riviera maya. We wont even have a reduction on our power bills.

It´s not gonna be good. Check the areas to be destroyed on the map.

I dont say green energy is not good, but not in Cozumel.

View attachment 132088

the area you speak of has very little if any development. I would hardly call the location a "tropical rainforrest". the last time I was in Cozumel, they needed the work. It should help boost the local economy even if the power doesnt go to the island community.........

There where on Cozumel would you like us to build the dirty coal fired generation plant?

Some of the mills will be 94 meters high, some will be 101 according to the reports of ambience impact. The foundations will get deep enough to reach the water. That is the only water we have.

3000 aditional ppl will have to come here to operate them.

Cozumel has only one little road in the est side, so a big one is being built for the transportation of the mills, and aditional roads will be needed to reach what they call sub stations and storage facilities for oil and whatever parts the mills need.

It´s not the windmills in themselves that will take up 6000 football fields, it´s the whole project, roads, warehouses etc.

The power wont be for Cozumel, as in Bonaire, it is for the riviera maya. We wont even have a reduction on our power bills.

It´s not gonna be good. Check the areas to be destroyed on the map.

View attachment 132088

As somebody who works for a company that has Alt fuels, Hydro, Cogen, Solar, Wind......all these are generating electricity across North America. 3000 people to Operate? Complete BS. 6000 football fields? You really need to get some accurate information before playing chicken little. You are spready Propaganda and nothing more.

Hi Alex,

About 25 years ago a big environmental group had this great idea to save a dearly loved spring fed swimming hole, Barton Springs. One of the ways they were going to do it was to build a dam upstream of the recharge zone of the aquifer feeding the spring.

Unfortunately, it happens to be where the family homestead is located. We got a good team together to attack from four different directions.

First, we attacked the underlying environmental support for the plan by pointing out that you shouldn't trash one area in order to save another.

Second, we attacked the assumption that the dam would work as promised. Turns out that another project on a drainage area with similar characteristics was rejected due to insufficient water flow (the reservoir would never fill).

Third, we pointed out that the land values were grossly out of line with reality and that the project would cost at a minimum 4x the estimate.

Fourth, we made sure that the politicians backing the plan would face serious embarrassment due to increased public awareness of attacks 1, 2 and 3.

They caved in 6 weeks. In that time we succeeded in shifting the debate from the preservation of Barton Springs to the flooding of 10 miles of a creek to a depth of 60'. Roughly the size of Town Lake in Austin.

It wasn't an accident the our plan of attack was multilayer-ed, well researched and calmly presented to the correct people who could influence the decision makers.

The moral of the story is that you have to attack the under pinning of the proposal and clearly demonstrate why it will not work.

Are you familiar with the political system in Cozumel?????

Back
Top Bottom