A few pics of a singles Hog rig for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heheeey, you're cheating! I see palm threes! There's no cold water there! :D

What's with the weight pouches on the back? Why not just use a p-weight inside the plate, to put weight next to your back bone instead of on top of the tank?

Is this an alu-tank? I would prefer steel 10:1 over alu's if I wear a drysuit.

pants!:
The Pioneer does not ship with bolts because they're not necessary.

Dosent ship w/ bolts? Yes they do indeed ship w/ bolts.

Stephen Ash:
Actually...

...some don't and won't. :D
Hm.. I hate to be contrary, but a Pioneer does indeed not require anything to attach the wing to the plate, because it just gets sandwiched between the tank and the backplate. The only time bolts help is when there is no tank on.

And none of the ones I've seen, including mine, have come with bolts, either.

KOMPRESSOR:
Heheeey, you're cheating! I see palm threes! There's no cold water there! :D

What's with the weight pouches on the back? Why not just use a p-weight inside the plate, to put weight next to your back bone instead of on top of the tank?

Is this an alu-tank? I would prefer steel 10:1 over alu's if I wear a drysuit.

What...no palm trees in Norway? Dang!

This rig is just one solution. The weight pockets are great! They are close enough to the back of the plate that rolling or turtling is not an issue...they make for a very stable trim. The other plus is that they allow for quick and easy adjustment of weight...not only in total amount of weight but also in placement over the length of the cylinder for help with trim. One can add up to a total of 12 pounds AND it can be split up anywhere from 1 to 6 pounds on the top and/or bottom cam bands. So...they are great for use under varying weight requirement conditions or when loaning out the rig to friends.

P-weights are a great idea! But that's a different solution and one that isn't quite as flexible as weight pockets. I have a couple of other rigs that I will post pics of that address the issue a bit differently...

Ok, so you have different needs than me when you need to vary your weights. For me it's the same config most of the year. Perhaps an extra 2 pounds in the winter, to cover for one extra layer of underwear under my drysuit. Then we always use steel tanks, and that takes care of part of the weight placement "problem". I think my p-weight is about 6 lbs. And then I carry another 9 lbs in an ordinary weight belt, since I need some dropables due to 7 mm neoprene drysuit.

My tank is a long and slim 12 liter 300 bar (4500 PSI), which gives me decent trim due to it's lenght.

This is my "cold water" rig, including an Eclipse 40 MC System

jonnythan:
Hm.. I hate to be contrary, but a Pioneer does indeed not require anything to attach the wing to the plate, because it just gets sandwiched between the tank and the backplate. The only time bolts help is when there is no tank on.

And none of the ones I've seen, including mine, have come with bolts, either.

It was a trick answer, Jonnythan...and one that shows my age...err!

The older...or original Pioneers do not have a built in STA. They must be used with a separate STA and obviously, bolts are required for that. :D

KOMPRESSOR:
Ok, so you have different needs than me when you need to vary your weights. For me it's the same config most of the year. Perhaps an extra 2 pounds in the winter, to cover for one extra layer of underwear under my drysuit. Then we always use steel tanks, and that takes care of part of the weight placement "problem". I think my p-weight is about 6 lbs. And then I carry another 9 lbs in an ordinary weight belt, since I need some dropables due to 7 mm neoprene drysuit.

My tank is a long and slim 12 liter 300 bar (4500 PSI), which gives me decent trim due to it's lenght.

This is my "cold water" rig, including an Eclipse 40 MC System

Steel cylinders are another great way to go. I do not have any...but that's a long story. I really like the P-weight, too. I have not yet made one and I was kinda hoping that FredT would get back up and running so that I could get one from him...but apparently that's not going to be an option for a long time.

Stephen Ash:
Steel cylinders are another great way to go. I do not have any...but that's a long story. I really like the P-weight, too. I have not yet made one and I was kinda hoping that FredT would get back up and running so that I could get one from him...but apparently that's not going to be an option for a long time.

What caught my curiosity, except for the palm threes :D, was that you present the rig is "cold water" rig. Now I am not experienced with warm waters at all, so please, what would you say differs from this rig and a "warm water" rig?

KOMPRESSOR:
What caught my curiosity, except for the palm threes :D, was that you present the rig is "cold water" rig. Now I am not experienced with warm waters at all, so please, what would you say differs from this rig and a "warm water" rig?

Weight!

This is a rig that allows for relatively high weight requirements and minimizes the weight needed on a belt. It puts the weight on the back, allows for some playing with trim, all while keeping the weight belt manageable.

My warm water rigs are a bit different and much lighter! No trim pockets, either a standard SS or Al plate, and sometimes a smaller wing. The reg is the same minus the DS inflator hose. They weigh in around 6 to 8 pounds total versus the coldwater rigs that run from 15 to 30 pounds.

Stephen Ash:
Weight!

This is a rig that allows for relatively high weight requirements and minimizes the weight needed on a belt. It puts the weight on the back, allows for some playing with trim, all while keeping the weight belt manageable.

My warm water rigs are a bit different and much lighter! No trim pockets, either a standard SS or Al plate, and sometimes a smaller wing. The reg is the same minus the DS inflator hose. They weigh in around 6 to 8 pounds total versus the coldwater rigs that run from 15 to 30 pounds.

Yes I could imagine the weight differences. As we don't have the problems of warm waters here, our configs are made for more weight from the beginning. This includes of course steel tanks, and this changes the entrance values a bit. Would it be correct of me to say that your rig is a warm water rig modified to be suitable (which I think it is!) for cold water?

If one turns it the other way arround, I think that my rig would be rather unsuitable for warm waters. My singletank alone weighs 45 lbs with air!!! And with a thin wet suit, you'd be on your way down, down, down if you loose your bcd!

(Pardon me if my grammar isn't all that correct. English isn't my mother tounge!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom