A Minor (TRUE) Horror Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Thomas, The only pot in Scotland that is in a hospital is Aberdeens. The rest are Dunstaffnage, Millport, Orkney and somewhere else I can't quite remember. These are all in Marine laboratories for their diving at work regulations. They are run totally seperate from the NHS and actually charge the patients local healthboard for the treatment. In fact, they are a business. I'll lift the info that I was given and put it below.

Here you go;

Have just been reading a lot of your posts on various angles of chamber treatments, and find some conceptions ....hmmm...interesting. Though I'd post a brief run down of therapeutic chamber call out and use.

England and Scotland have similarities, and vast diferences, but basically:- In England the government is in the process of bringing in "care standards", this was written for the granny farms, but encompases all chambers used to treat NHS patients, and remember if you're not an NHS patient you get the bill ! All chambers have to be examined, annually, under this in order to accept patients. In Scotland we pre-empted this and have been NHS audited for more than 3 years. All approved chambers are also members of the British Hyperbaric Association, which has enabled the set up of the two 7/24 helplines. Now solely Scotland. The audit doesn't just look at the pot, but at your staff, training, hospital, links with SAR units, treatments etc.

The NHS authorised chambers, that are currently functioning in Scotland are at Aberdeen, Orkney, Shetland, Dunstaffnage (Oban), and Millport. We all link up as a unit, and match patients to chambers. (Big difference inbetween Sc & En is that work together, as a unit with satellites - south of the border they all act independantly). We have all agreed upon "best practice" with the NHS and are upgrading to that level (Aberdeen and Oban have achieved this, Millport will when the new chamber arrives next month and Orkney will be there later this year), at this point only the lack of intensive care medical staff will limit any chamber from any air treatment. (Whether
we want to do it or not is a different question !, to date Millport's longest treatment has been 47 hours - and I really would rather not go there again.

Call outs. Normally via the Coastguard - Ch16, GMDSS, or 999. The sooner you get to a chamber, the better. However many don't know/admit that they are bent for a period of time. In this case 999 coastguard will put you through, via the ops room tto one of the two helpline numbers. These are not solely for emegencies, feel free to use them for medical advice also. You may also call them directly yourself. In England the no. is 07831 151 523, this is directly to the duty doctor. In Scotland 01224 681 818, this gets you a
switchboard, ask for the duty hyperbaric doctor. They will then send you to the nearest A&E unit, and arrange for the nearest available chamber to stand up (with emphasis on available, only the CG know when chambers are busy/undergoing maintenance etc). Then all you've got to do is get repaired.
Please don't delay, we are not judgemental and early presentation makes life a lot simpler - but it's your body (and you've only got one), as I always say, it doesn't hurt me, I keep my fingers out of the way when I shut the door. It is always somewhat frustrating to get the history off the patient, and a totally different tale from the partner/PDC download.

PFO's, one in five of you have got it, usually it's a gee whizz phenomenon. Testing is available at all main cardiology units, but unles you're getting bent at 20m for 20mins with no yoyoing or rapid ascents etc. do you really want a syringe full of aerated saline injected into a vein ? (By the way Tom Shields retired some 10 years ago, last heard of drifting around somehere off Marseilles in his yacht - lucky swine). Sorry its a bit long, promise never to go on as much again.

And about computers; Thanks Peter, big one (or, as apparently I'm now titled "Hyperbaric Therapy Provider", dunno what's wrong with Chief Diver). Dive Computors, read the instructions, they all tell you not to rely on them totally for decompression information (and one tells you that
if you do you WILL suffer from DCI at some point)(Suunto Stinger). They're a very useful tool, but remember you're carbon based -they're silicon based and humanity hasn't evolved (although kit has) since the basic laws of physics and physiology were worked out (when tables were calculated by putting people in chambers and bending them!). They are specifically banned from use for sole decompression information in the Diving Operations at Work regulations 1997 (and no
aspect of the industry objected to this in the regulation writing period).

In 1989 two things happened of significance in the recreational diving world, and sports bends in Scotland statistically trebled that year. This has been maintained ever since - with the obvious steady upward trend accountable for by the increasing popularity of the sport. BUT we are all seeing a steady increase in the severity of the type of bend. Think that's covered most of the uncertain remarks over the last couple of days - probably not though.

Thanks to Phill from Millport pot for the above.

Peter

PS the Stinger manual (nor any of the Suunto manuals) does not have such a warning (just checked), it is sold as a full decompression computer (As are the Vyper, cobra, Vytec etc)

ALL sunnto's do however have the following warnings

That ALL dives can generate Symptoms of DCI

That everyone is different and varies from day to day

That ALL dives are decompression dives

Dives that exceeding the NST are not recommended

Redundant instruments must always be carried

I would cut and paste the text but my Acrobat reader wont let me!!!

with apologies to US boarders. . .
Peter k once bubbled... . . . These pots are all in Marine laboratories for their diving at work regulations. They are run totally seperate from the NHS and actually charge the patients local healthboard for the treatment. In fact, they are a business.
For info, Peter. There is no such thing as an "NHS" hospital. They are all private businesses and call themselves trusts, having contracts with the local NHS health authority/board.

The Care Standards Commission is a catch-all and applies equally to any doctor or agency that provides non-NHS services but it does not apply to Health Authorities. I am in the process or registering. A real headache it is too! I wanted to be a doctor not a bureaucrat.
. . , and remember if you're not an NHS patient you get the bill!
which you forward to the NHS Health Authority for payment! All EU residents are NHS patients, including so-called asylum seakers. So do not be deterred from seeking treatment!!!
Call outs. Normally via the Coastguard - Ch16, GMDSS, or 999. The sooner you get to a chamber, the better. However many don't know/admit that they are bent for a period of time.
That is a worry.
In England the no. is 07831 151 523, this is directly to the duty doctor. In Scotland 01224 681 818, this gets you a switchboard, ask for the duty hyperbaric doctor.
Very useful advice from Phill! I tried that number today and it was picked up immediately. It was emphasised in my training to use the emergency services but most are slightly intimidated from using Ch 16/GMDSS/ or making a 999 call, but ringing an ordinary telephone number is a bit different. It is something we do every day. The service is certainly better than the automated switchboard of NHS Direct Inc.!!!!!

Why is it Scotland always has better facilities than England and we are treated as the poor relation?

Hallossss to everyone,

Haven't been on here in quite sometime, but someone had mentioned an Oceanic computer in a story,, i have one, r they subpar?,,,,,,

Pam

You asked what the two significant factors in 1989 were thatr led too an increase in DCI's.
(1) The sudden increase in the popularity of PDC's. This led to divers not planning their dives as thoraghly as they used to when using tables.
(2) The introduction of BSAC '88' (level 1 tables). There was a low air pressure hung over the UK that year. People were using level 1 tables when they should have been using level 2 tables.

Peter

peter k once bubbled...
(6) These two dives are dives I have done on the same day in this order a few times before.

Peter, my "Bad Cop" just has to jump in. Despite your suffering - private & public - I am amazed at you & your buddy. You have done these dive profiles before?! Surely, you had reviewed the previous dives with some sort of table. What was your dive buddy saying and doing during this process? Were you both Narc'd above/below the water during this discourse? You have a responsibility to yourself, your dive buddy & others that may be observing or participating in your dives to reassess your pre-dive planning & preparations. You're diving in deep, dangerous waters....

I know it has been a while that this post has been quiet but I just found it. I have to say just a couple of things. First I have laid my story on the line and gotten smashed because of it. I believe some people have what it takes to stand and receive what others have to say and learn from it. Others should just keep their mouth shut and cuss to themselvs.

Hello?? This is your second time getting bent!!!! And you are arguing that you are experienced?? In what? Living despite your own actions? When someone suggests more trainning it takes an ego of proper size and weight to see that it makes sense.

You have got to understand that if you are going to publish your actions people are going to be kind and unkind. And most of the time it is the unkind that are doing you the most good if you can see it. I would rather someone tell me what a bone head I was and where I screwed the pooch so maybe I wouldnt die, then saying " you poor baby, Im so glad you are alright". Sure I am glad but I also either need to give what I am doing the right amount of respect or get the heck out!!

The 8 minute stop is what doesn't make sense, but I'm running the profile now on my Vyper... at 23 minutes @ 110ft, the ASC time and bottom time added up to 40 minutes.
I began the ascent and held it to the max rate to 15ft (ya, bend and treat). It is now at 35 minutes TDT and 10 minutes deco remaining.
Had I been better at anticipating the deco requirement I could have begun the ascent at around 17-20 minutes and put TDT closer to 40 with a shorter stop.

And of course, it was a computer dive so the average depth could have been only 60-80ft which would have allowed for a 40 minute TDT with an 8-minute stop. I've done dozens of NDL dives in excess of 100ft with TDT in excess of 40 minutes... but with average depths between 50 and 70ft.

This is on air, and my computer is still loaded from yesterday's dives... it is currently only allowing me 46 minutes at 60ft and 15 at 100ft.

Back
Top Bottom