A new dive computer from Oceans, with built-in buddy communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see this similar to the early car phones, remember those, when they came out who knew they would evolve into what cell phones have become. The technology could grow into some amazing things, buddy locator/tracker, an out of air button with direction so you could swim straight to your buddy as they swim at you ready to provide aid, even the computers being able to warn your buddy or dive group of someone who got distracted and is running low on air, even a digital dive slat/text system of some kind. The possibility for this to improve safety and convenience is endless. It will be interesting to watch this technology grow.

I agree, there is a lot to do in this space, and we have big plans on how to expand this system in the future.

Is it going to beach whales?

Great question, and something we have put much thoughts into, too!
The ultrasound sensor is active at short intervals with very limited range, and only when a ping is activated by a diver. The tests we have done have shown no reaction on marine life. This is not comparable to sonars, seismic activity and other sound pollution that the ocean is suffering from.

Hitting the tank or making other noises underwater to get divers attention without the S1 is likely to be more disturbing to marine life. With that said, we will continue to do research on this and adjust our sensors if needed.

The ping communication feature seems like a solution to and reinforcement of bad diving practices. If you are so far away from your dive partner that pinging them via dive computer seems like a correct option then you and your partner are on the wrong side of the danger divide, especially if your partner swims around a corner while you are taking a photo. I can see utility if it your device has a locating function but to only alert one diver that another has pressed a button is just useless gimmick. It is more useful for a diver to tap their tank or use some kind of noise maker that can be used to get the attention of their diver but also provide auditory cues as to where they are...and I know that in the water the direction of sound is not very accurate, but then again a diver should not be so far away from their partner that they have to follow auditory cues for any significant distant...if they are a significant distant away, they are doing it wrong.

Your claim of a computer with a communication feature is kinda of over stated. It is a high tech solution looking for a problem to solve, and there are lower cost, lower tech solutions that are more useful for the the problem your are looking to address.

-Z

Yes, a "technology solution to skills problem", WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! sometime.

Seriously though it sounds like you're trying to clone the Lynx and make it work where Liquivision couldn't. I wish you luck, I though it was a cool little device.

No reason you wouldn't have a conservative, moderate, and liberal setting as does Shearwater in its rec mode, 35/75, 40/85, 45/95. However, you won't be competitive in an increasingly crowded niche without a choice for custom GFs. A proprietary transmitter is not attractive. I think you overestimate the value of your ping. Many of us have no use for it. What demographic is it that you are going for?
Different strokes for different folks. There are lots of really high end computers on the market that are interesting to me for a few of their features, but are packed with other features I don't care squat about and have prices to match. This is a device that sounds interesting to me, something with features I would actually use at a price point that is more reasonable. Probably I match their initial target market more than you.

For me at least, unless he ping gives me a sense of direction of where it came from, it seems of limited use. Maybe I am missing something here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom