A puffer fish bit off a diver's finger!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This story is true. Randy has also (since the attack puffer fish incident) fought off a shark that was trying to take a fish he had speared.

Are you sure the shark was after the speared fish? Maybe the word got out in the fish kingdom that Randy tasted good.

This story is true. Randy has also (since the attack puffer fish incident) fought off a shark that was trying to take a fish he had speared. There's a video out there somewhere; someone internet savvy could do a search and find it. He has also mounted a Goliath Grouper to remove a spear that was in him (the grouper), which is also videotapped.

The shark video was obviously a set-up to get the shark to grab at the fish. And I don't know that I would say he "fought off a shark". But if the had lost his hand in the incident, that I would believe!

BDSC

I've heard a similar story about Killer Puffer. It's a shallow site we dived in the cayman islands....OUCH!!!

I have a puffer in an aquarium that seems a bit touched. When I first got it, it would not eat on its own, so I would have to grab it, and when it opens its mouth to suck in water to puff up, I would stick food in its mouth. Well it got used to that and evidentially its a game now. He will swim around and beg for food, but still wont eat on its own. So I put my hand in the tank and sometimes the fish will swim right into my hand, and start to puff up. As soon as I stick a piece of food in its mouth it starts to deflate and swims away...

I have a puffer in an aquarium that seems a bit touched. When I first got it, it would not eat on its own, so I would have to grab it, and when it opens its mouth to suck in water to puff up, I would stick food in its mouth. Well it got used to that and evidentially its a game now. He will swim around and beg for food, but still wont eat on its own. So I put my hand in the tank and sometimes the fish will swim right into my hand, and start to puff up. As soon as I stick a piece of food in its mouth it starts to deflate and swims away...

Gotta' say that is one of the strangest Pavlovian behavior stories I have ever heard... :D

Seriously,

Could you please film that and post it? I would love to see it.

Safe Diving

The shark video was obviously a set-up to get the shark to grab at the fish. And I don't know that I would say he "fought off a shark". But if the had lost his hand in the incident, that I would believe!

BDSC

Maybe not a set up but having a speared fish that injured is an attraction to sharks. So given that they filming it seems more like they were doing a bit of chumming.

I give him kudos for removing the spear but boos for the puffer fish incident and the shark chumming.

BTW My avatar is of the area around and including the eye of the Papua Toby Puffer Fish. No fish were used in making the image as it was formed through reaction-diffusion which is a technique used in biological pattern formation.

Maybe not a set up but having a speared fish that injured is an attraction to sharks. So given that they filming it seems more like they were doing a bit of chumming.

I give him kudos for removing the spear but boos for the puffer fish incident and the shark chumming.

BTW My avatar is of the area around and including the eye of the Papua Toby Puffer Fish. No fish were used in making the image as it was formed through reaction-diffusion which is a technique used in biological pattern formation.

Since you gave him kudos I will express my hesitation on giving him a thumbs up - that didn't get bit off did it. Okay back to my thought - surely this environmentally aware diver didn't have anything to do with placing the spear in the grouper???????

Man...everybody is so smart calling the guy an idiot and dork etc. As if, none of you have ever come close to a potentially dangerous marine animal. Many people get hurt without even trying. So, he took a chance to entertain his group of divers...and lost a pinky. Regardless of what the 'wise-guys' are saying, it can happen to anyone. At least he's being a good sport about it, read:

Florida Keys Treasures - Puffer Bites Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom