A question for newly qualified divers...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay as a newly qualified diver and now one with the aow out of the way.. I would say that the (PADI) AOW should be the minium level for a new diver. I also think they should force the tables and an understanding that this is a serious sport and you can get killed doing something that seems harmless enough. Personally I would like to see more of the nitrogen theorys, and a required basic first aid course go along with it. But thats just me.

Nathan

Originally posted by Nathan
I also think they should force the tables and an understanding that this is a serious sport and you can get killed doing something that seems harmless enough. Personally I would like to see more of the nitrogen theorys, and a required basic first aid course go along with it. But thats just me.

Nathan

Thats bang on what the whole thread is about. I just wonder how many people there are like you out there?

Jon T

Jon,
You're right on the money with the appaling thing about new divers not returning - I think this is an obvious signal - Most of new divers think "Stuff" under water is cool, the fact that they do not come back tells me that these people unfortunately did not get comfortable in the water.
I think the idea to have DM course work include mentoring is great - right now they have to participate in a number of pool and checkout dives - but nothing further.

I'm not sure that a new agency is required though - consider that SSI is "shop owned" - so if these people can find a way to better retain new divers and therefore improve business, I would think that it would take little convincing to do so... If they can make 3-4 divers per class become longterm customers, with all the gear purchases and rentals that involves, I think it is likely that a shop could go from survival to making money.

Along this line you'll also find the whole club mentality, there LDS clubs that have very loyal followings and then there are independent clubs that are hard to find, you have never met people, etc, etc... I think some LDS have figured out the magic of getting involved more in the out of water activities and gaining more customers that way.
It's really pretty simple - consider what a BBQ would do for the new diver... Opportunity to meet mentors, ask that little nagging question, get confirmation that wolf eel normally do not eat people...

I have, like most of you I think, seen DM's who intimidated people on the beach to the point where some seemed to be afraid to get in the water... Not based on anything other than the fact that this DM likes to tell people to suck up to the DM - when your life is in danger - all of a sudden, I see 4 people looking at each other thinking that they are in mortal danger if they enter the water - no wonder they are not comming back...
(Obviously, the screening of DM's may not always work as well a we could hope...)

To sum it all up - I believe that some of the things we have come up with can be implemented on a local level to test viability, if it works in one place, others may follow. I believe that any organisation, PADI, SSI, NAUI or any other should be able to embrace new thinking -in particular if it is for the greater benefit of the members...

Terkel
-I'm getting of the soap box now-

I guess I fall at the very beginning of this spectrum, having not yet completed my certification training for OW. What I have learend from the classes and from reading these boards is that what I learned in class is the very basics. Do I consider getting certified as meaning that I am a diving pro? NO WAY.

We took the open water class as a way of being better prepared for beginning to learn about scuba. My husband and I both recognized that it will require many dives with dive masters and or dive instructors before we would even consider diving on our own. Does this work for us? You bet, we are interested in taking some dive trips, we are BEGINNING to explore the underwater world.

Then again, we aren't exactly teenagers who think we are immortal. We came into the training with a conservative mindset. We spent weeks reading and re-reading the materials, not just watching the tapes, but studying them, locking into our minds what we were reading and watching. We focused on the pool exercises, we have another 3-4 hour pool session yet to go. We already have a list of additional skills we would like to practice a little further in the pool before we head off to Florida for our referral dives.

Even after completion of the referral dives, we may have achieved certification for OW diving, but we will still consider ourselves newbies with an awful lot to learn.

What types of things do we think we need to work on?
1. Well, I personally think that when I put on the weight belt that it had too much weight on it for me, I want to practice starting with zero weight and finding the right amount for myself.
2. I want to try a couple different snorkels, I had trouble keeping my snorkel clear and the instructor said it was because the snorkel I was using was too short (the weights were keeping me low in the water and I kept getting water in the snorkel).
3. I managed to "sip" the air for the freeflowing regulator for the required 30 seconds, but I'd like to practice that again.
4. My husband and I managed to swim together while sharing air (using the octopus) but it felt awkward, I'd like to take some time practicing that a bit more.
5. I want to try some different fins, I felt like I was fighting with them some to keep them where I wanted them.
6. I fully expect to pursue lots of continuing education to improve our diving skills. Yes, Rescue is on our list, but I think we need experience with our own equipment before we will be prepared to rescue another diver.

Most of the things on this list are a matter of becoming more comfortable with the equipment. It's not that I can't do the skills, just that they aren't second nature to me yet. In a way its like learning to water ski. When I first learned to water ski, I could put the skis on and hold onto the rope, I managed to get up out of the water....but then I was just hanging on until a wave knocked me down. I could water ski. Was I good at it? No, but I could do it. Over time, with practice I got more comfortable with the skis, learned to lean back a bit so I didn't kill my back, learned to jump the wake, I even learned to use a knee board and a disk and spin around. I've gotten years of enjoyment from water skiing. My skills have improved each time I go to the lake.

I'm not yet certified to dive, but now I know what the equipment is, and how to use it. I have plenty of lessons to learn, and with a cautious, conservative appreciation for the sport, I can begin to gain the experience required to eventually get good at it. I also know how to listen to my body and my gut instincts to not push my limits.

We are going to complete our confined water requirements in another week. We are still reviewing the materials and quizzing each other nightly. When we go to Florida we will experience our first open water dives as we complete our certification. (I expect that completing the certification will be somewhat like the first time I managed to get up on water skis, I can do it, but I won't know it all).

tyki
beginning the exploration

Originally posted by turnerjd
Agencies Like the BSAC, and NAUI are both non profit making, whilst they provide good training, they will always be relegated to a minor role against the almighty Put Another Dollar In.

What I am mentally exploring at the moment is the idea of a vaguely comercially oriented agency, but providing a higher standard than PADI.
I think you're making too much of their not for profit status. They do much the same things, only with somewhat different motivations. NAUI is next in size after PADI. No agency, especially a new one, will have anything but a minor role compared to PADI, so there is no point in starting a new one.

There are agencies that maintain high standards, and some have a sizable portion of the remaining market share. NAUI, YMCA, and BSAC are noted for their more comprehensive training.

It seems to me that encouraging one or more of them to adopt a mentoring program would accomplish more than starting yet another agency.

Getting back to the original Question, No I didn't learn enough. Some of us always want more. I know I do.
My certification was on a Vacation in the Bahamas. Since then I have taken First-Aid, CPR, and plan to do the DAN O2 coarse.
I have looked into Diving in New York. The Saint Lawrence Seaway looks interesting. But I know that before I dive there I need more training. I have no experience with wrecks, or at those depths, or with current.
The Niagra River looks interesting too. Again I have no experience with current.
Wasn't it part of our training that after our certification we would be Qualified to dive in conditions which duplicated or were similar to those we trained in?
Therefore I know I need more training if I wan't to dive near home.
I plan on returning to the Bahamas and continuing my SSI training there. I plan on taking, Navigation, Boat, Deep, Computer.I also plan on checking out a night dive.
I also have a great opportunity to make sure I learned the basics. My wife and son are taking classes (NAUI)and I have been Invited to tag along for their classroom and pool sessions. I also will be taking the Nitrox coarse with them.
They will be doing referal dives in the Bahamas. When the water gets warmer at home we will be doing our Nitrox check out dives. This will be our first fresh water dives. Then We plan on checking out local diving with our instructor before we do any diving on our own.
Maybe this is common sense.
Maybe this is just following directions!
Tavi
Why do they call it Common Sense, if it's so rare?

Walter,

I hope the diving was great today. I keep hearing how nice the weather is in Florida.

I think the thing my husband and I learned the most so far from our classes is that scuba is like a lot of other things we have learned in our lives. That the instruction is great, but it shows you just how much more you have to learn. Just as Driver's Ed taught our son the basics of how to drive a car, it wasn't until he had been driving and had lots of practice that he could actually say he was a good driver, even if he is still learning lessons about the road on a continuing basis.

I know that PADI training is not the favorite of a lot of the old hands here on the board, but PADI was something we had heard of before we got started, and was available in our area. We figured getting trained before we were paying vacation dollars was a better way to learn. Taking our time to study the book and tapes, not just read over them has helped us alot and given us some things to discuss here at home. Talking through different scenarios, reading the board and discussing some of the fatality reports that have been discussed here and discussing what we think we would do in those situations, what our expectations of each other are and such is something that would not have been accomplished if we had tried to squeeze the certification in on a vacation trip.

Looking forward to hearing further from you

tyki

Hi, one of my friends just got certified (PADI OW) and from what he told me it sounded like he didnt get enough pool time. Tell me what you think. Here was his overall course and time learning.

Saturday 9am-5pm: this included 4 hours theory work and then 1, 2 and a half hour pool session.

next week:-

Saturday 9am-5pm: again 4 hours of theory, tables etc then another 2 and a half hour pool session....this was the final pool session and all theoery and pool skills where finished at this point.

next week:- Saturday-Sunday 6 openwater dives.

My friend says that at all times 1 instructor was teaching a maximum of 3 people.

So what do you think? was this enough training etc etc

Back
Top Bottom