A sad story what are your views?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wapyaly

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched a documentary about a British girl who had some embryos frozen as she had treatment for cancer. Her partner and her separated and she had to go to the high court in London to ask a judge to rule that she could have the embryo's implanted, because her ex had withdrawn his consent. This was her one and only chance at being able to have her own child. The judge ruled against her and in favour of the man. He also ruled that the embryo's had to be destroyed. My heart really went out to her. I felt sorry for her that she would be unable to have her own child, but I also could understand that the man did not want these embryo's to be born to his ex partner. I felt that this man was destroying his ex partners only chance of having her own biological child and that the judge had a very difficult decision to make. In the circumstances if I were the judge I would have ruled for the woman. I totally accept that the father has rights in this situation too, but this was her one and only chance at being a mother. Who would you have ruled in favour of and why?

Definately feel for her - but motherhood isn't over, with so many alternatives available today. There are lots of kids both home and abroad that need a loving family, and the guy has just as much right to choose as the woman does.

My opinion - tough call, but the right one. Adopt!!

I recall something similar a few years ago where the arguement was that the father didn't want to have any responsibilty for the child, and even though the mother said she didn't want any support, laws in that state said she couldn't not sign away support rights. He filed an injunction worried she could change her mind and come after him in the future.

I don't know what the outcome of the case was.

Marc

This is what happens when man starts to interfere with the gift of life...........lots more to come.

They actually froze fertilized embryos instead of eggs?

Why?

I am surprised someone didn't file a suit on behalf of the embryos suing both the partners for 'wanton endangerment to their well being' or 'maliciousness with no forethought' or something. (Could have possibily been a class action suit if there were enough of 'em.)

Wow that is a tough one - but as long as women want to have control of their bodies - we have to give men control of theirs as well. In this case that embryo was equally a part of him and should have had as much say as she did. She should not be able to force a man to have a baby no matter if it is her last chance to have one. It is a much bigger issue that just a matter of "support." What happens when the child at age 15 seeks him out? He will forever be wondering and waiting for that phone call or knock on the door.

If it was inside of her alive and viable he does not have a right to say kill it, I don't want to be a father right now. But obviously that was not the case here. They broke up and he no longer wanted to have a child with her. He should not be forced to do so - regardless of her childbirthing status.

I feel for her, I really do. I am sure she is heartbroken. I could not imagine the pain, but it still is not right to force a man to become a father (no matter what he IS the father biologically) if he does not want to become one.

Kimber

Well said Kimber. I agree 100%.

Back
Top Bottom