A sad story what are your views?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to say you all should be highly commended on having such a civil discussion on such a hot topic.

Since I have no desire to have children of my own or otherwise, I still feel I can be a part of the discussion and pose my questions and expect to get a fair response.

I've learned a lot reading your posts and the CTV.ca articles - I had no idea medicine could do so much now - like the freezing of a portion of the ovary and then re-introducing the tissue back in afterwards. INCREDIBLE! Now if they could only find the cure for these cancer diseases all would be good. But in the meantime its wonderful the options available to us all.

The courts, in my opinion, are still struggling to achieve a present day order - that is they are trying to catch up with all the legalities and changes that present day life calls for. Laws in Canada and U.S. in other quarters of the legal system are so antiquated its sad.

Although I struggle to decide who has the more right to the embryos - the decision must be difficult for any judge to make. Has such a thing happened in the past or is this the first ground breaking instance.

starfish365:
I have a question regarding adoption - please don't flame me for this one, I really have no idea how it works and this post is in no way intended to cause anger or pain to those who have, wish to, or are adopted.
Its my understanding that years and years ago it was very difficult to adopt a child, you had to have two parents, a good job, and be able to support and commit to this child for his/her life.
If a person is known to have a disease that could if not probably end their life before the child is able to care for themselves, is it fair morally to that child or even legal to adopt in that case?
Adoption is a wonderful thing - but its a lifetime committment just as having your own child is.
As mentioned before, in the UK it is very hard if you are over 35, or not married, or single, or limited income to adopt a child. It is even harder if you are an ex-cancer sufferer because the queue is so long you rank low on the priorities.

It is very unlikely that either woman in the case examples will ever get to adopt a child under the age of 10 even if they wanted to. Please remember that this woman is currently fighting for the right to have a child that is genetically hers. (I have yet to meet someone who is capable of having their genetically own children and have chosen not to, and to adopt instead. That is why I get upset when people glibly say "oh but you can adopt".)

When fighting for something so strongly that you know can happen, to have it snatched away from you (rightly or wrongly) must feel like intolerable cruelty.

And I will restate this again in case anyone missed it: I understand the heartbreak of the woman, but I would have to agree that the man cannot and should not be forced to be a father whether or not the woman signs a disclaimer.

I will be honest and say that I haven't read all the thread. The issue I see is that if the woman did give birth to a child that had the DNA of both her ex husband and her, would it not be possible for her to get child support? Also we do not know if this couple were on good or bad terms with each other. I do think that adoption is a wonderful thing. There are so many children who need our love.

Scubaguy62:
So, knowing the embryo won't survive if thawed, without reimplantation in the mother's womb, the issue is whether the rights of the woman to be or not be a mother are equal to the rights of the man to be or not be a father, when there is no relationship between the two, and if so, does the mother have a right to initiate a pregnancy by way of reimplantation of a frozen embryo without the father's consent?

I think this is one of the major problems with relationships today. Whether it be with husband and wife, business people, friends etc. At the time that this freezing procedure was initiated both obviously agreed to the process. I assume she dosent have anything that spells out what should be done if they split up or what ever. In times past a person's word was his bond and it didn't matter if the results of the agreement benefited or hurt the individual in some way they still lived up to their word. Today, if everything is OK and it dosent affect me negatively in some way I will live up to my word. But, if it is going to cause problems then forget it. He agreed to the procedure and in my opinion should live up to it.

i did a project on this exact case ...i feel very much for the lady but, as said b4...there are many other ways for her to hav a child...and if worse comes to worse...she could adopt. i see where both the parents are and, i can see for sure why ud be sad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom