a spin off to the dying a hero thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdgodess

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I don't want to die diving. It came across to me as newbie tech wannabe, 5th dive in doubles yesterday, asked to unclip & reclip deco bottle,fine, mask got flooded, ok fine, clear it, tank is dangling, wait it's not clearing and oh now I'm ooa.....everything looks blurry, no air to clear mask...hmmm...signal ooa, no I have a necklaced alternate my hand was on it a couple of times, my brain still said no you are ooa, blurry vision OK someone jam a reg in my mouth now! I could see my buddy in the blur...air...ahhhh... Now this was all controlled, my buddy was right there, the instructor was right there, but I just wanted air NOW! Respect the sport, train properly (my recreational brain still doesn't recognize redundancy is an option now - that is going to be a very hard engrained thing to break free of.) there is nothing heroic about dying while diving. I think it must be a very fast death. I've always been very conservative and respectful of established rules diving.

I watched my MIL die from horrible brain cancer. Fast would be better.

I wasn't, I had 1600 psi in twin al80's and a nearly full deco tank partially strapped to me. I had air. I just didn't *think* like a tech diver and switch to my back up.

if your instructor shut your gas off on your primary he/she violated standards.

Thanks. I will read all the different instructor manuals back at the shop. I've stuck to student level material for now. I am enjoying learning and thinking outside of my box.

Thanks. I will read all the different instructor manuals back at the shop. I've stuck to student level material for now. I am enjoying learning and thinking outside of my box.
A sudden OOA situation is unrealistic and serves only to create panic. I would start instructor shopping if I were you.

if your instructor shut your gas off on your primary he/she violated standards.

Whose standards? I don't agree with the statement. So long as the instructor ensures there is no actual danger it's a perfectly reasonable thing for him to do. I had it done to me numerous times and I've done it to students. Students at an appropriate level of course.

A sudden OOA situation is unrealistic and serves only to create panic. I would start instructor shopping if I were you.

Again I disagree. A sudden OOA is perfectly realistic and can happen. I've had it happen for real, not just in training. The purpose of training is not just to replicate situations which may occur, but to instill in the student a "can do" attitude. As IANTD say, training that does not stress a student (again, as appropriate for the level of training) is not useful training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom