a spin off to the dying a hero thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking in particular of a CCR malfunctioning, rendering the breathing loop instantaneously unusable. But I've seen an LP hose rupture catastrophically, necessitating shutdown of that tank to preserve its contents. I've also seen an OC second stage disintegrate in use.

Care to elaborate?

The wife of a friend of mine had it happen. Her regulator instantaneously stopped delivering air even though the cylinder was about 2/3 full. My suspicion is that something got lodged in the dip tube, but they never found out for sure (rented cylinder).

FWIW, when I did my helium training through IANTD, the instructor wasn't allowed (to my understanding) to turn off my gas*. He came up behind me, tapped my throat to warn me, and then took the regulator.

*exception - he would shut the left post to simulate a rolloff before getting me to either donate or shut my right post. He never shut a post I was breathing from.

I wasn't, I had 1600 psi in twin al80's and a nearly full deco tank partially strapped to me. I had air. I just didn't *think* like a tech diver and switch to my back up.

What was this scenario meant to teach you?

No instructor has ever shut down a reg I was breathing from. I have had buddies "help" me by shutting down the reg I was breathing from in misguided valve failure diagnosis. (I shut down right and switched to backup when the "real" failure was on my left. They "helped" by shutting down the left before switching me to my right.)

My IANTD instructor trainer told me (afterwards) that he had had trouble stressing me, and had agreed with IANTD HQ (Tom Mount) various extreme things he could try. Not only did he shut off my air (at pretty extreme depth) but he was also permitted to cut one of my LP hoses. He didn't do that last though.

What is the point of never shutting off a regulator the student is breathing from? How does that provide stress-management training? You want as the instructor to throw at the student the most extreme failures the student might ever face for real, with the difference that you as the instructor are there to ensure it doesn't get out of hand. The instructor may not be there when it happens for real.

No instructor has ever shut down a reg I was breathing from

Then you've never been properly tested. Under IANTD rules (as they were a few years ago, before I lapsed from that organisation) that would constitute a breach of standards by the instructor.

Actually that depends what level of training you were undertaking. What is your highest IANTD certification?

What is your highest IANTD certification?

None and I have no intention of ever taking IANTD courses, they don't suit my needs.

This is not an IANTD specific thread. And honestly having a reg suddenly quit delivering gas is not how people get stressed and die anyway.

Last edited:
It is certainly one way (having a reg suddenly stop delivering).

I agree this thread is not about IANTD, but why are you so adamant you will never take one of their courses? They have higher (tougher)) standards than any other organisation I know (granted that I have no first-hand knowledge of GUE). Presuming you do hold certifications, what is your highest and who is it with?

I still think dying while doing a recreational activitiy (recreational ie..we do it for pleasure - regardless of doubles, singles, 20 mins or 3 hours) would still stink for my family. So would laying in a hospice dying from cancer. I still think there is nothing heroic about dying while doing any thing for fun. We are talking about something we enjoy right? Fighting a battle with cancer would be a tough fight - that's where bravery and credit is due. It still sucks. Floating there OOA with no buddy or options would suck. I've never been there in nearly 18 years. Luck? Responsible diving?

Regardless of procedures, why's, whatevers, I appreciate all of the experiences provided to me, even if some consider them for the wrong reason. I have experienced them.

Whose standards? I don't agree with the statement. So long as the instructor ensures there is no actual danger it's a perfectly reasonable thing for him to do. I had it done to me numerous times and I've done it to students. Students at an appropriate level of course.

Better yet, what training agency allows it?

Read your standards, some of the agencies you claim to teach for in your profile prohibit it.

Then you've never been properly tested. Under IANTD rules (as they were a few years ago, before I lapsed from that organisation) that would constitute a breach of standards by the instructor.

Actually that depends what level of training you were undertaking. What is your highest IANTD certification?
I suppose mine would be technical cave. maybe trimix depending on who you're asking.

no one ever shut down a regulator i was breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom