a spin off to the dying a hero thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe I just read the whole darn thread and here is what I come up with:

a. If you are going to do technical diving, your training should include ways to manage your own personal stress;

b. Panic, while diving, is NOT a good thing;

c. Training, in addition to help give you ways to manage stress, should also provide you with tools to manage panic; and

d. Not all people learn the same way or respond the same way to stressors so the technical instructor needs to determine how to stress the individual without actually endangering the individual.

1. Does everyone agree these are points in common?

2. Does anyone believe there are any other SUBSTANTIVE TRAINING points from this thread?

well he called, I have good news to report.. he is EXACTLY like his posts would lead you to expect!

:rofl3::rofl3:

Go Wormil!

lol, I "think" I'll be OK...gotta run I'm on hold with my phone company to change my number

Booo! :D I wouldn't really call you in the evenings, I respect a man's home life :D Nor will I ever call you again!

I can't believe I just read the whole darn thread and here is what I come up with:

a. If you are going to do technical diving, your training should include ways to manage your own personal stress;

c. Training, in addition to help give you ways to manage stress, should also provide you with tools to manage panic; and

d. Not all people learn the same way or respond the same way to stressors so the technical instructor needs to determine how to stress the individual without actually endangering the individual.

2. Does anyone believe there are any other SUBSTANTIVE TRAINING points from this thread?

Panic is the end all.

1. Yes, however, you forgot to mention it was quite amusing.

2. Maybe

"Stress can be generated by physical or psychological factors. Proper training and experience can help to reduce overall stress, but it cannot be eliminated completely. The recognition of stress in yourself and your teammates and taking actions to reduce it can help to reduce the amount of stress and possibly prevent panic." pg 87.

Naui manual

You know, we've gotten off on a very esoteric discussion of how much stress is appropriate for technical training . . . but has everyone lost sight of the fact that this was the OPs FIFTH dive in doubles, ever? Do we all think that one should be able to shrug on a set of doubles and begin to handle compounding failures out of the gate? Maybe we should. I can't. I couldn't. I spent quite a bit of time learning to balance doubles, and practicing valve shutdowns, before I ever had to do one in anger, so to speak.

What I'm thinking is that going to a backup in an OOA situation should be an automatic response for a recreational diver. If someone is in tech training and has a hard time going to the backup then maybe they don't belong in tech training in the first place.

To me, to have a student on her 5th doubles dive, carrying a deco bottle as well, and having a post shut down suddenly while she was breathing it (which really doesn't simulate any failure I know)
Well I have seen a primary fall completely apart underwater part way into the dive so I suppose it could simulate that.

I

i was correct, Tom didn't, I read YOUR exact words to him from this thread describing skills you were supposedly taught and that Tom supposedly authorized by waiver and he replied "that's complete BS" (except he said the bad words)

Tom said it and I'll bet there were a lot of us thinking it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom