A thousand good reasons to go diving in Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tip:
Avoid restaurants with a western menu and/or lots of westerns inside.
Look for a small "restaurant" with mainly Thai customers and lots of pots and pans on the counter. Ask for "keng pung pla" (aka "keng tai pla") or "keng som" and make your choice. Eat it on top of plain rice ("raat khaow")
Both these curries are traditional spicy southern Thai dishes.
One of my favorite curries is "keng prik moo", a hot and spicy curry made without coconut with small pieces of red pork meat in it. Eat it on top of rice with a fried egg....mmmmmmm arroi mak-makk!

Thanks!

Been eating in those kinds of places exactly, but to no avail :(

Maybe I've just spoiled myself - been growing Naga Morich (or Jolokia) in home, so nothing really comes close.

Have to try those curies though. Generally I love the food here!

Reason 172: 50 baht for a big bottle of Chang from the little shop next door. And the familly who owns the shop are really nice guys to drink it with!

Thanks!

Been eating in those kinds of places exactly, but to no avail :(

Maybe I've just spoiled myself - been growing Naga Morich (or Jolokia) in home, so nothing really comes close.

Have to try those curies though. Generally I love the food here!

Reason 172: 50 baht for a big bottle of Chang from the little shop next door. And the familly who owns the shop are really nice guys to drink it with!

The hottest peppers in Thailand (as far as I know) are the small chillies ("prik-kee-noo") but they are indeed not as hot as the peppers you are eating at home.
Maybe you should consider buying 20 Baht's worth of "prik-kee-noo" every day and carry those with you and add to your meals!

Good to hear you like the food and have found a good local place to drink beer.
Enjoy your time here and have fun!

prik-kee-noo - are those the ones that look like small green peppercorns becaue they're damn hot.

prik-kee-noo - are those the ones that look like small green peppercorns becaue they're damn hot.

No. Those are actually young fresh black pepper corns.

The "prik-kee-noo" (translated: "mouse/rat droppings chillies") are miniature chillies and are shaped like mouse (or rat) droppings.

Aaaah thanks for the answer had a curry with those dropped in as well and it almost removed the lining of my mouth.
I should add a reason.
Reason 174: The food, cheap, healthy and so much choice that everytime you think you have found a favourite it ends up getting beat with some new dish.

Looking at recent news articles. unlike the Red Sea.

Yeah... the red sea is having an interesting spree of shark-"attacks" at the moment.
:sharkattack:

Shark "experts" from all over the world are now scrutinizing those recent incidents and try to come up with an explanation.
To me the why is quite obvious: If I was a shark I would be pretty much pissed of with humans altogether and bite he crap out of them if I had a chance. It's that simple.

At the same time some sharks in Egyptian waters have now been hunted and killed and if a few more incidents happen who knows, maybe a full-scale war on sharks will be the result. Kill 'm all!

In Thailand we do not have shark "attack" problems.
The only real shark problem I think we are having is that we have way to few sharks left in our waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom