AAAH! Jacket vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
So i went to the LDS poking around about BP/W, since after seeing an overwhelming number of divers using them for everything from rec to tech. My LDS is the first place I have heard anyone bash the BP/W setup like they did. And of course they dont carry anything of the sort. I did my first day of pool dives for my open water class, I was using a Pro QD+ (rental), and I hated the lack of stability it provided, so that really pushed me back towards the BP/W, even tho the LDS wont sell it.

As a beginning recreational diver, should I try to put together a good BP/W setup right from the start? The LDS carries a wide array of jacket BCs, and I want to support them (and I will for my air supply devices), but I need to try out a BP/W before I commit (ill check the local forum).

Your input is appreciated.
Chris in Michigan.

Furner:
...but I need to try out a BP/W before I commit ...
Exactly right. Try one, be honest with yourself about what you're looking for, then plunk down your $. That way you're not relying on someone else's opinions and it will be right for you.

All the best, James

your not alone in your frustration. I went through the same thing about 2 1/2 years ago when I was getting back into the sport. Everytime I walked into a shop in my area and asked about a bp&wing setup, the responces I got went from, "what in the world is that" to "why do you want something like that"? I finally settled on a Halcyon 36# Pioneer setup after talking with numerous people from Scubaboard and I'm so glad I did.

No matter what you decide to get, just make sure you do your homework and try on as many different bc's that you can get your hands on, that way you don't (hopefully) regret your decision.

P.S. Another thing you can do is try and hookup with someone in your local area who dives a bp&wing and maybe they'll let you take it for a spin.

Good luck,

I second what everyone else has said. Actually, had the same issue with my previous LDS.

So, try to borrow or rent the gear you're thinking about buying, then go from there. Remember, any LDS that won't sell you what you want, doesn't want your business, just your money.

Brian

Well I went about this a different way. I knew my LDS (Both) didn't carry this type of equipment, nor did I know anyone that had the equipment for me to try out. With that I decided to just research the heck out of this board and toss together my own BP/W setup. I figured that if I didn't like it, I would just put it in the Classifieds here on the site and someone would have taken it off my hands for close to what I paid for it.

After around 6 dives on a FredT Plate, FredT Single Tank adapter, FredT Harness Kit, OxyCheq 45# Signature Series Single Tank Wing, and some other odds and end's. I have to say that it is one of the best rigs I have used.

As the others have said though, do your homework, try out different brands, and then if all else fails do as I did and just cough up the money.

Thanks for all the response! How much different is a "back inflate" BCD from a BP/W BCD? Im sure there are some Seaquest Balances or something of the sort in a Zeagle brand at the LDS. Not really looking to buy, but to rent and see how the back inflate system feels compared to the vest system.

The BP/W, if you opt for a stainless plate, moved more weight to your back, which puts it more over the center of buoyancy and allows for easier trim adjustments. With a back inflate BCD, you still carry all of your weight either on a belt or in the WI pockets on the waist. Some models do allow for trim weights to be placed on the back next to the tank.

The BP/W rig, when properly adjusted, is very secure. I've never found a vest or back-inflate style BCD that didn't move around.

BP/Wings occupy a VERY small niche market (which is why your local shop may have never heard of them) and like any niche groups they have many people who endorse them with the zeal of a religious convert. They are very solid peices of equipment and will last you through any type of diving that you do. I personally have been diving an Oxycheq 45# wing with a stainless plate. It's a very nice rig but is not the be all end all peice of equipment many make it out to be. For the most part any well made/designed BC will keep you happy and comfortable. I don't know what your shop sells but here are some models that I have used in the past or own myself and have been very impressed with (in no particular order and *means I own one:)

*Scubapro Classic Sport
*Scubapro Knighthawk
*Oxycheq BP/45# Wing
Sherwood Avid
Seaquest Balance
Genesis Cobra

The best thing you can do is to try to dive any peice of kit that you are going to buy. You can read a million reviews but the only opinion that matters in the end is yours.

ZoCrowes255:
BP/Wings occupy a VERY small niche market (which is why your local shop may have never heard of them) and like any niche groups they have many people who endorse them with the zeal of a religious convert. They are very solid peices of equipment and will last you through any type of diving that you do. I personally have been diving an Oxycheq 45# wing with a stainless plate. It's a very nice rig but is not the be all end all peice of equipment many make it out to be. For the most part any well made/designed BC will keep you happy and comfortable. I don't know what your shop sells but here are some models that I have used in the past or own myself and have been very impressed with (in no particular order and *means I own one:)

*Scubapro Classic Sport
*Scubapro Knighthawk
*Oxycheq BP/45# Wing
Sherwood Avid
Seaquest Balance
Genesis Cobra

The best thing you can do is to try to dive any peice of kit that you are going to buy. You can read a million reviews but the only opinion that matters in the end is yours.

Bravo!! Very well stated. Possibly the best response I have seen to this question. I am in total agreement.

theskull

theskull:
Bravo!! Very well stated. Possibly the best response I have seen to this question. I am in total agreement.

theskull
I completely agree too. BP&W are fine pieces of gear, but their performance in no way justifies the extreme over-hyping of this gear option so popular on this board. Many experienced divers prefer jackets (my choice) or back-inflate BCs. Also take a look at some of the new hybrid BCs I have a friend who just loves her new Tigullio hybrid.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom