Advanced Diving... places & ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Been reading through the lots of really great suggestions here for dive operations in Cozumel--and as we all know different shops do different things well. I'd love suggestions for shops that specifically cater to advanced divers.
Knowing it's not always possible, I'd love to make res. with someone who can help me get down to Maracaibo, Columbia Deep... maybe up to Barracuda? And who does so regularly so they know how to do these places right. I'm traveling solo so am a bit at the whim of other divers, so where am I most likely to make my wishes come true? Is there such a thing as an "advanced only" boat or op?
ALSO, if anybody's got suggestions for favorite other spots... especially ones with really amazing walls and structure, I'd love to add to my list of must see places...

Thanks!
_Matt
----
Divemaster//National Diving Center//Washington, DC

Your definition of advanced may differ from those of the dive ops who will want to "check you out" first. You are right that those in the boat will influence where you go. Columbia deep is a no-brainer. Pretty much every half-useful dive op will go there. Going north will depend on a whole lot of things including divers abilities and weather. Maracaibo - same thing. Living Underwater will go to all those places without additional charges. They "generally" attract more advanced divers but that isn't a rule you can go by. And you can pretty much count on Jeremy trying to adjust the diving so that you achieve the max of your objectives. LU has big steel tanks to maximize your BT, if that's what you want.

While Blue Angel has a number of boats, and is generally pretty good at matching divers' abilities, they don't go really, really far north to Baracuda. More like Cantralle. But volume presents some good flexibility. Ask for Jorge as your DM if you go with them. You will be diving with AL 80s, but he's pretty flexible and mostly takes more advanced divers with him (given the opportunity) so that heavier breathers can and will surface on their own, leaving the better breathers UW for as long as possible.

Aldora typically has at least one group that is advanced and willing to dive the locations you mentioned. Of course like anyone they will need at least a day of diving with you before they will go to advanced sites. The should be able to work with you and get you to your sites of interest.

I know that Aldora will meet your needs from reading many messages about them re the areas outside the park on both sides of the island. I have done the northern reefs with Pelagic Ventures so know Troy can help, and I suspect Living Underwater can too. As for sites to meet your preferred description there are lots within the park & as already mentioned Columbia is a very popular dive by most shops, plus all of the Palancar sites & Santa Rosa wall. If this is your first trip you have a lot to see, and there are a lot of good ops that can meet your needs that stay within the park. As for the more advanced sites it normally requires both good conditions plus a group of qualified divers to even get such trips high on the list the day before hoping things will stay that way for 24 hours.

I used Scuba With Alison. She was great. We only dove with one other couple the entire week. She is really laid back too. She'll let you dive how you want to dive. Gives a good briefing about the site. Her depth limits are what you are certified to.

Been reading through the lots of really great suggestions here for dive operations in Cozumel--and as we all know different shops do different things well. I'd love suggestions for shops that specifically cater to advanced divers.
Knowing it's not always possible, I'd love to make res. with someone who can help me get down to Maracaibo, Columbia Deep... maybe up to Barracuda? And who does so regularly so they know how to do these places right. I'm traveling solo so am a bit at the whim of other divers, so where am I most likely to make my wishes come true? Is there such a thing as an "advanced only" boat or op?
ALSO, if anybody's got suggestions for favorite other spots... especially ones with really amazing walls and structure, I'd love to add to my list of must see places...

Thanks!
_Matt
----
Divemaster//National Diving Center//Washington, DC

Try Careyitos for Advanced Divers. , www.Advanceddivers.com.Been diving with them for awhile now. You wont be disappointed that is unless you're looking for a small fast boat for 6. Their boat is a 38 foot Bertram.

Back
Top Bottom